Our Christmas Trees 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awww, we love tinsel on trees :)

I prefer our tree decorated with all silver tinsel and baubles but Steve like it all colourful, so this year that is what we had...next year, my turn :LOL:

Awww, we love tinsel on trees :)

I prefer our tree decorated with all silver tinsel and baubles but Steve like it all colourful, so this year that is what we had...next year, my turn :LOL:

I just don't like the look of it, sorry :( We like the strings of glittery ribbons and pearls. They don't shed like tinsel and they look beautiful for years. You should try them sometime. I bought mine about 10 years ago and I won't go back to tinsel.

That would be the main reason why I don't do tinsel!!!! :LOL:
It ends up all over your house and sticks to carpet like poo to a woolen blanket!

Another one is the dang grass in Easter Baskets. that is all over the house for years to come. :angel:

Another one is the dang grass in Easter Baskets. that is all over the house for years to come. :angel:

I agree! And sea sand after a beach holiday :LOL:

Nothing worse than sand in your crack :p
I prefer admiring the ocean from a distance and swimming in a pool.

Last edited:
And, if you have cats, tinsel is a bad idea. If you have a dog/cat that eats a glass ball, feed it cotton balls soaked in milk (and call your vet).

Locally, one can buy pieces of tin that are twisted into tinsel. The guy who started this sold these at local Christmas Craft shows for years. I have several containers of them. The trick when undecorating the tree (to make sure you don't throw any out), is to count them as you put them away. I also have used swarf from the shop and spray painted it the colors I wanted to add to the tree--gold, purple, metallic red, etc. Also available at Lee Valley Tools in Canada.

Victorian Tin Tinsel available at The Vermont Country Store

My nana would decorate her artificial tree with tinsel. After Christmas she would remove every last strand and put it away in a box for the next year. This was just the lightweight stuff. She had a box with very old heavy tinsel too.

One year, when I lived in Denmark, my landlady went away for Xmas and she lent me her old-fashioned ornaments. They included some candle holders for hanging on the tree. That year I lit my tree with candles. It was really pretty, but we never left the room with the candles lit.

Our tinsel doesnt seem to make much mess at all :)

In the past we have bought cheaper tinsel and that was very messy :rolleyes:

The tinsel we have now is more expensive and does not seem to shed which is great :)

Our tinsel doesnt seem to make much mess at all :)

In the past we have bought cheaper tinsel and that was very messy :rolleyes:

The tinsel we have now is more expensive and does not seem to shed which is great :)

I take it you don't have a 5yr old and a 10yr old that dance around with it on their heads :LOL:

The first Christmas my husband and I spent together we had a little tree with one nice ornament, lots of candy canes, and lots of tinsel. Hubby brought it home on top of the 79 Ford Pinto. We didn't have much, but we had each other. Wonder where those pictures are????...

Our first tree was red, blue and silver. Dad gave us the tree and I cut the Pabst logo out of twenty beer cans as ornaments, a box of tinsel and a string of clear lights. I scrounged an Angel for the top from Mom's cache of old Christmas decorations. We got more fancy in later years and now we are down to no tree.

One year, when I lived in Denmark, my landlady went away for Xmas and she lent me her old-fashioned ornaments. They included some candle holders for hanging on the tree. That year I lit my tree with candles. It was really pretty, but we never left the room with the candles lit.
A friend from Germany still lights candles on her tree. I always stop by on Boxing Day evening to see it lit. It is very pretty.

Our first tree was red, blue and silver. Dad gave us the tree and I cut the Pabst logo out of twenty beer cans as ornaments, a box of tinsel and a string of clear lights. I scrounged an Angel for the top from Mom's cache of old Christmas decorations. We got more fancy in later years and now we are down to no tree.
Who drank the beer?:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom