Our Deli Guy Died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Apologies if the title is morbid, but it was such a shock. Every week, twice a week, I go to Walmart and get this "velvet red potato salad." Every night this nice young gentleman has been there to serve me. Today I went in and there were roses on the counter and pictures that said "We'll miss you" and I just stood looking at it. When the new young man waited on me I asked, "is that the nice guy..." and he said yes. This nice young man wasn't even 30 and he died of a seizure two days ago.

So here's my thought for today ~ don't disregard that worker that makes sure your potato salad contain is full or the guy that wraps your meat or the checker you see so often. You never know when you might walk in and find that a young man has left this world unexpectedly. He didn't even die of an accident, his own body turned on him. So smile at your deli guy, your butcher, your checker, and pray for this man's family tonight. Please.

How sad. And what a good reminder to always be considerate of others. We never know what they are going through or what their futures may hold.

:(Barbara

Last edited:
How sad. And what a good reminder to always be considerate of others. We never know what they are going through or what their futures may hold.

:(Barbara
Exactly Barbara. Who would have thought this young man, so young, that actually inspired me to create a food myself, would be gone the next time I went to the deli counter. My last words were "dam...not your fault" but it really makes you think. I smiled after my statement and he knew I didn't blame him, but it's definitely a lesson in how to treat people, at least for me.

There is a old saying in the restaurant trade and it goes like this
"" Be nice to the dish washer you never know when you might have to kiss his back side on the way out the door"". My mentor was a gentilmans gentilman in ten years of working with him I never heard him swear or berate any body. He sit the tone for my life in the kitchen. And oh how it works I could git more work out of my crew than any body else. It allways pays to be nice, complementry, and smile

Oh how sad...I'd like to believe he was needed much more somewhere else and that is why he was called away so early.
Calisto, you words I hope inspired many. Thank you for sharing....sometimes you need to hear and share something sad in order to open eyes and hearts!

So sorry to hear that Callisto. I'll keep that family in my thoughts and prayers.

Please accept my deepest sympathy. There are times when people whose name we don't even know seem to become so important in our lives. This was one of those special people! When this happens in my small world, I recall that there is statement about angels being among us. This may have been such a representative to you. He gave you a feeling of being important and treated you as such. This loss I am sure has happened to many others. We always miss the kind ones.

May his memory have a lasting impression on you when you continue to shop at this store. Life is fragile, handle with prayer is sign posted in my kitchen. Reminder of time I have now.

Thanks for sharing.

In my heart I believe the old canard, "Every man's death diminishes me."

Perhaps it's the company I keep, but in times like this we strive to ease the pain with gallows' humor. Sort of smiling at death.

In that regard, I ask you to consider this fact, when his position is filled by human resources, would that man become, the New Deli guy?

Callisto, my condolences and my thanks for your sharing this. It is amazing how we don't realize how someone impacts our lives until they are suddenly not there. My heart and prayers go out to the family and his co-workers.

Callisto, thank you for sharing this. It shows how fragile human life is, and also how any stranger could impact our lives, for the better. What a nice, gentle reminder of how we should all act with kindness, no matter where we are.

I cannot think of a more fitting memorial that you have given. I believe that the whole is definitely the sum of it's parts.

I hope that he rests in peace. I also hope that yours and the other advice about appreciating those around us is heeded.

AC

Everyone we encounter, everyday, is special to someone, just as we are special to those close to us.

Its especially sad when someone so young is taken unexpectedly. Things like this should serve as a reminder to all of us that life is a precious gift that should never be taken for granted, and we should look upon everyday as a gift-because we never know when it will be our last.

My deepest sympathies.

Back
Top Bottom