Our Kitchens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I miss having a real kitchen... My tiny apartment kitchen is... well... functional...
Stand in front of stove... turn half left for sink... turn half right for fridge... :ermm:

Ross

I can understand that. We have so many studio apartments in this building, just like what your described. A kitchen so small, you are lucky to be able to even have enough room for a small cereal bowl on the counter.

Back in August 2017 on this thread, I posted a photo of my antique oak kitchen table (page 16). Years ago, I built a small table for my previous dog's bowls. When she died, I gave the set to my sister. Her dog died recently, and she gave the table and bowls back to me, for psycho-poodle.

I built the table to match my antique kitchen table. Here is a picture.

CD

Attachments

• TeddyTable.jpg
    TeddyTable.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 199
That looks really nice Casey, and good job. What size dog did you have last time, and does psycho-poodle have to stand on his tipsy toes to eat and drink?

My previous dog was bigger, but not by much. Putting your dog's food on some kind of platform where they don't have to bend their necks down to eat is actually good for them. This table is just right.

CD

casey you're the 2nd person I've heard that says it is good for them to not have to bend their necks. I'm not sure the reasoning behind that, do you know? I, myself, think it is completely un-natural.

Horses have hay nets which are hung in trailers and sometimes their stalls, but having to lift their heads to eat is not really recommended. Dust and particles can get into their air passages while reaching out or up. So other than temporary reasons it is not recommended.

For dogs I sort of feel the same way. Many of them bolt/gobble and yes, there are those that daintily eat each morsel, but generally speaking I would think that by having to swallow up and before grabbing the next piece would be less likely to end up going the wrong way down.

On the other hand - I do have the water dish elevated and on a 13" tile, mainly for water issues with the floor. Works beautifully.

That being said... love your matching tables! Well done!

casey you're the 2nd person I've heard that says it is good for them to not have to bend their necks. I'm not sure the reasoning behind that, do you know? I, myself, think it is completely un-natural.

Horses have hay nets which are hung in trailers and sometimes their stalls, but having to lift their heads to eat is not really recommended. Dust and particles can get into their air passages while reaching out or up. So other than temporary reasons it is not recommended.

For dogs I sort of feel the same way. Many of them bolt/gobble and yes, there are those that daintily eat each morsel, but generally speaking I would think that by having to swallow up and before grabbing the next piece would be less likely to end up going the wrong way down.

On the other hand - I do have the water dish elevated and on a 13" tile, mainly for water issues with the floor. Works beautifully.

That being said... love your matching tables! Well done!

At the time I made the table, my dog was quite old, and older dogs seem to benefit most from a raised bowl. It provides them with a comfortable posture while eating.

With any dog, the ideal height of the bowl depends on the size of the dog. The table I built is only about 5-inches tall, so my dog is standing with his neck straight, and his nose down, when he eats from it.

Psycho-poodle is, as was his predecessor, a self-regulating, normal speed eater. Not a gulper. I keep his bowl full, and eat eats when he wants. I'm also lucky that he is not food sensitive. I can change his food any time, and he has no issues with it. He was begging me while I was eating some Flamin-Hot Cheetos, so I gave him one, thinking it would stop the begging. Wouldn't you know, he loved it. :LOL:

CD

Geez, how did I miss this thread?

Love everyone's places, btw!

For me, I still long for my kitchen in our old
house in Southern Arizona ...

my old kitchen.jpg

... I think mostly because it was familiar.

But, our new home has a nice bright, light and airy feel to
it, just what we were looking for...

new light package.jpg

My kitchen is a small galley with 11 ft total of counter space. In the 9 ft of counter a 24" electric range, double basin stainless sink with space in between for ADC coffee pot and on the other side of the range racks for herbs, spices, and extracts. To the other side is the basin's a Microwave. The counter turns 90 degrees with 2 feet of counter with the bread machine. I have cabinets over and under with other kitchen equipment stored. I don't really cook in my kitchen that much as I'm generally cooking at Church,or my three fraternal lodges which have commercial kitchens. Kinda like Rock Lobster in his Deli.

So often I bring home left overs from these places so the microwave and sink get most of the kitchen action. Best part of my kitchen is the million dollar view of the Ohio River. I'm really no happy in the confinement of my own kitchen.

On my deck facing the river I've set up my outdoor grilling facility which has gas w/lava rocks, my charcoal grill, rotisserie, and smoker. It gets more use as in the summer there are more daylight hours with pleasant weather/temp's.

I have some photos but can't lay my hands on them right now.

Last edited:
At this time of year I don't have much counter space, given all those bowls and trays of veggies from the garden. Even on my range, I have trays, as I don't use it much when the AC is on -the induction burner, IP, and outside grill do most of the cooking. Today, much of these get frozen, or into the dehydrator, after I get the last 2 trays out of that! Then, time to get more. lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom