"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #171
Head Chef

casey you're the 2nd person I've heard that says it is good for them to not have to bend their necks. I'm not sure the reasoning behind that, do you know? I, myself, think it is completely un-natural.

Horses have hay nets which are hung in trailers and sometimes their stalls, but having to lift their heads to eat is not really recommended. Dust and particles can get into their air passages while reaching out or up. So other than temporary reasons it is not recommended.

For dogs I sort of feel the same way. Many of them bolt/gobble and yes, there are those that daintily eat each morsel, but generally speaking I would think that by having to swallow up and before grabbing the next piece would be less likely to end up going the wrong way down.

On the other hand - I do have the water dish elevated and on a 13" tile, mainly for water issues with the floor. Works beautifully.

That being said... love your matching tables! Well done!

Old 12-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #172
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
casey you're the 2nd person I've heard that says it is good for them to not have to bend their necks. I'm not sure the reasoning behind that, do you know? I, myself, think it is completely un-natural.

Horses have hay nets which are hung in trailers and sometimes their stalls, but having to lift their heads to eat is not really recommended. Dust and particles can get into their air passages while reaching out or up. So other than temporary reasons it is not recommended.

For dogs I sort of feel the same way. Many of them bolt/gobble and yes, there are those that daintily eat each morsel, but generally speaking I would think that by having to swallow up and before grabbing the next piece would be less likely to end up going the wrong way down.

On the other hand - I do have the water dish elevated and on a 13" tile, mainly for water issues with the floor. Works beautifully.

That being said... love your matching tables! Well done!
At the time I made the table, my dog was quite old, and older dogs seem to benefit most from a raised bowl. It provides them with a comfortable posture while eating.

With any dog, the ideal height of the bowl depends on the size of the dog. The table I built is only about 5-inches tall, so my dog is standing with his neck straight, and his nose down, when he eats from it.

Psycho-poodle is, as was his predecessor, a self-regulating, normal speed eater. Not a gulper. I keep his bowl full, and eat eats when he wants. I'm also lucky that he is not food sensitive. I can change his food any time, and he has no issues with it. He was begging me while I was eating some Flamin-Hot Cheetos, so I gave him one, thinking it would stop the begging. Wouldn't you know, he loved it.

CD

Old 12-29-2017, 07:08 PM   #173
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Geez, how did I miss this thread?

Love everyone's places, btw!

For me, I still long for my kitchen in our old
house in Southern Arizona ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	my old kitchen.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	28792

... I think mostly because it was familiar.

But, our new home has a nice bright, light and airy feel to
it, just what we were looking for...

Click image for larger version

Name:	new light package.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	28793

Tags
kitchen

« 45 years | Our pets »