"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My son had an arts and craft home with all the woodwork intact. It even had the small room off the kitchen for the old ice box with a hole in the floor for the melting ice. It also had the built-in bookcases with the glass doors with a pillar above them. I went on line and even found the old blueprint for that style house.
Yep, I have built in bookcases and recessed storage, too. My house also came with a cistern in the cellar for storing rainwater.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #12
Master Chef

Steve, I'm just drooling over your house. Just look at that beautiful woodwork! It reminds me so much of my grandmothers house in Minnesota where we visited when I was a child. I for one would love to see more pictures of your treasure.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
How do you clean those pots? I had one given to me as a wedding present in the 1950's. Too hard to keep clean. I gave it to my sister. At least I kept it in the family.
I found Barkeeper's Friend in liquid form. I have to admit, it does a good job. The problem with the copper pots though, is I don't really know how to cook with them. If I put the heat on anything over #3 on my stove, the pots start discoloring on the bottom and up the sides.

Someone on eBay is selling these same copper pots (they're all about 40 years old) and he says he sends an instruction manual to everyone who buys a pot, plus he sells a cleaner specifically for copper. I want to write him one of these days and see if he'll sell an instruction manual to me. I may be cooking on too high a heat or not waiting long enough for the pans to heat up and that's why they're discoloring all the time.

But I find mine hard to keep clean, too. That's why I'd like to sell the set and get something in stainless steel. I have heard that if you aren't going to use your copper pans to cook in, you can coat them in something and they will retain the copper look for a very long time.

I'd look into that if I could afford to keep these pots and pans as decorations, especially as I also have 6 copper measuring cups I never plan to use - don't ask why I bought those because I don't know. All I know is one day I'm going to shine those up and put them on eBay, too.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Yep, I have built in bookcases and recessed storage, too. My house also came with a cistern in the cellar for storing rainwater.

Steve, that truly is a beautiful house.

That is one thing about the Twin Cities. They have some nice old houses there. My grandmother used to live not too far from College of St. Catherine off of Cleveland Ave. Lots of nice homes in that area.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Steve, I'm just drooling over your house. Just look at that beautiful woodwork! It reminds me so much of my grandmothers house in Minnesota where we visited when I was a child. I for one would love to see more pictures of your treasure.
Thanks Kayelle! I'm really looking forward to moving in and making it my own. Just a couple of quick photos here, because I don't want to hijack RR's kitchen thread anymore than I already have.

Now keep in mind none of this is my furniture, so don't judge. Most of my own things are mission style, which I think will be a nice compliment to the architecture.

Here is the foyer. The woodwork needs a little TLC, but I love the detail here.

The 2nd floor hallway. Three bedrooms on this level.

This is a view of the outside, with the wraparound deck.

This is my favorite area of all. The previous owners converted the attic into a 3rd story loft space. This will be my office and media room. I have a 10 foot screen and digital projector that will go in here. There are also speakers mounted in the ceiling around the room. I can see spending a lot of time in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Steve, that truly is a beautiful house.

That is one thing about the Twin Cities. They have some nice old houses there. My grandmother used to live not too far from College of St. Catherine off of Cleveland Ave. Lots of nice homes in that area.
Thank you! Yes, St. Kate's - I know that area well!
Old 08-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #16
Master Chef

Wow, that loft is awesome!! I can spend all day up there. And the entire house is beautiful!

If you don't mind me asking, how much does a home like that cost?
Old 08-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

That really is a beautiful house, Steve. Mine was built in 1910 - a variation on American Four-Square - and I live in a designated historic neighborhood. Our woodwork already had several coats of paint on it by the time we bought it, though, so not gorgeous unpainted wood like you have.

I'd love to see pix after you've settled in, too. Mission-style furniture is perfect for that house.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #18
Master Chef

Do you know how many owners the house has had Steve? With a house like this, I'm always thinking if only the walls could talk and the story they could tell. You're Mission style furniture will do justice to the house for sure! Thank goodness nobody ever painted over that beautiful woodwork and it can be restored where needed.
That loft is killer, as is the beautiful yard and deck. I'm green with envy, but so happy for you!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Do you know how many owners the house has had Steve? With a house like this, I'm always thinking if only the walls could talk and the story they could tell. You're Mission style furniture will do justice to the house for sure! Thank goodness nobody ever painted over that beautiful woodwork and it can be restored where needed.
That loft is killer, as is the beautiful yard and deck. I'm green with envy, but so happy for you!
Would you believe we're the third owners of our 1910 house? The family that built it lived here for about 50 years, the second family for 32 years, and we bought it in 1992.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #20
Master Chef

Tags
kitchen