Our Kitchens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
Not only am I unsure of where to put this thread, I also don't know if there is already one like it. I did a search and didn't find anything, so here goes:

I thought we could post pictures of our kitchens here.

I have 5 pictures I'd like to post of my kitchen to start with, mainly to show how small it is. It's actually not a kitchen, it's a kitchenette. It may be an efficiency kitchen, but it's certainly not efficient. However, it is functional, after a fashion.

My kitchen has about 3' x 7' of floor space. Everything in these pictures is in that space. And the reason I had to take so many pictures is because there wasn't room to back up and still be able to see the kitchen!

And I apologize for the poor quality of the photos - my camera needs to be replaced.

Starting in the corner - the door to come into my room is to the right of the stove. I don't use the cabinet above the stove because it's too high for me and the door doesn't stay closed. I have it taped shut right now.
img_1475606_0_0f10d290b2d2b58b7c09c644128465d5.jpg

This was taken across the room from the stove - yup, that's the other side of the door. It just clears the cabinet when I open it. I found this cabinet on Craig's List and the only drawers I have in the kitchen are in the cabinet. It's where I store all my dishes.
img_1475606_1_5368ab8fc4cb8c0e33ff526188a7524a.jpg

My chopping block gives me some much needed counter space. The end of the wall behind the pots is where the kitchen ends.
img_1475606_2_d05edb5f1a1486c405662759c38cfb8d.jpg

Across from the pot stand is the sink (the towel isn't dirty, it's just damp). The double cabinet above the sink is the only cabinet I have for food. That's my only counter space (about 2' x 2') besides the chopping block and no, I didn't wreck it by cutting on it. It was supposed to be replaced, but the building ran out of funds.
img_1475606_3_4d66ac90e66fe9d1a6420ab79a110688.jpg

We can place the fridge anywhere in the room we like, so I chose to place it just past the sink to make a small room of my kitchenette. To get into my room, I have to squeeze in between the fridge and the chopping block. There's really more room to get by than it looks.

The door to my room (the one between the stove and the cabinet) is directly across from the fridge and to get this pic, I stepped out into the hallway a couple feet.
img_1475606_4_8ea2c18089e8119a10fe82d59d212043.jpg

Does anyone else want to share pics of their kitchen?

Last edited:
I'm not moving in until next month, so it technically isn't my kitchen yet, but below are some photos of the kitchen area as it currently is. I'm planning to do some renovation, although that likely won't happen until next year sometime.

It's a 90 year old house with all the original woodwork. I plan to keep the arts and crafts look intact, and renovate it accordingly with new cabinets that fit that style. I also want to take that modern, but strangely dated, center island out and add a large wooden prep table that will also accommodate seating.

My favorite part is the walk-in pantry. Although it looks as if it was added later, it's still kind of a neat feature that you don't see much in modern kitchens.

Long story short, The challenge will be to make upgrades that give me additional storage and a few modern touches, but without destroying the character of a 1920s kitchen. I'd like to imagine it as a space where my grandmother would have felt at home.

img_1475611_0_b8ac63010ca4847a7916c7d78a5eeb1a.jpg

img_1475611_1_646e412e3f4ed6c47661dc65db01ef7c.jpg

img_1475611_2_99a28b8cfa9c01f7d0d329af90f443e4.jpg

RT..congratulations on making the most of your space with your innovations and those copper pots are stunning! You've made it a very appealing tiny kitchen! Good job!

SLoB....oh yes, what a great first reaction to a kitchen fire. Take a picture!

Steve, what a great kitchen space! I agree your changes should fit the character of that wonderful old house!

I'll be back with my kitchen pictures.

img_1475613_0_f766a0eb0c387aaf0d8a61ba55feddde.jpg

img_1475613_1_80a2b93c8197e0f0c08df6d40285815b.jpg

img_1475613_2_853eddae8a833c1367ceaeca59689515.jpg

img_1475613_3_131d1071ac2d2a86a37d04aa00c243ae.jpg

Last edited:
Such pretty, pretty kitchens!

RT..congratulations on making the most of your space with your innovations and those copper pots are stunning! You've made it a very appealing tiny kitchen! Good job!

Thank you! One of the reasons I took the pics today was because I had just polished those pots. I think in December, I'm going to order a set of stainless steel cookware and then sell the copper set. They might look nice now, but use them once, and they start getting that "patina"!

I'm not moving in until next month, so it technically isn't my kitchen yet, but below are some photos of the kitchen area as it currently is. I'm planning to do some renovation, although that likely won't happen until next year sometime.

It's a 90 year old house with all the original woodwork. I plan to keep the arts and crafts look intact, and renovate it accordingly with new cabinets that fit that style. I also want to take that modern, but strangely dated, center island out and add a large wooden prep table that will also accommodate seating.

My favorite part is the walk-in pantry. Although it looks as if it was added later, it's still kind of a neat feature that you don't see much in modern kitchens.

Long story short, The challenge will be to make upgrades that give me additional storage and a few modern touches, but without destroying the character of a 1920s kitchen. I'd like to imagine it as a space where my grandmother would have felt at home.

img_1475644_0_b8ac63010ca4847a7916c7d78a5eeb1a.jpg

img_1475644_1_646e412e3f4ed6c47661dc65db01ef7c.jpg

img_1475644_2_99a28b8cfa9c01f7d0d329af90f443e4.jpg

My son had an arts and craft home with all the woodwork intact. It even had the small room off the kitchen for the old ice box with a hole in the floor for the melting ice. It also had the built-in bookcases with the glass doors with a pillar above them. I went on line and even found the old blueprint for that style house. :angel:

Such pretty, pretty kitchens!

Thank you! One of the reasons I took the pics today was because I had just polished those pots. I think in December, I'm going to order a set of stainless steel cookware and then sell the copper set. They might look nice now, but use them once, and they start getting that "patina"!

How do you clean those pots? I had one given to me as a wedding present in the 1950's. Too hard to keep clean. I gave it to my sister. At least I kept it in the family. :angel:

Copper cookware

How do you clean those pots? I had one given to me as a wedding present in the 1950's. Too hard to keep clean. I gave it to my sister. At least I kept it in the family. :angel:

I use mostly copper cookware. I use Wrights Copper Cream.

My son had an arts and craft home with all the woodwork intact. It even had the small room off the kitchen for the old ice box with a hole in the floor for the melting ice. It also had the built-in bookcases with the glass doors with a pillar above them. I went on line and even found the old blueprint for that style house. :angel:

Yep, I have built in bookcases and recessed storage, too. My house also came with a cistern in the cellar for storing rainwater.

img_1475681_0_ec7f512a539579ee488dc6bbd835a071.jpg

Last edited:
Steve, I'm just drooling over your house. Just look at that beautiful woodwork! It reminds me so much of my grandmothers house in Minnesota where we visited when I was a child. I for one would love to see more pictures of your treasure.

I found Barkeeper's Friend in liquid form. I have to admit, it does a good job. The problem with the copper pots though, is I don't really know how to cook with them. If I put the heat on anything over #3 on my stove, the pots start discoloring on the bottom and up the sides.

Someone on eBay is selling these same copper pots (they're all about 40 years old) and he says he sends an instruction manual to everyone who buys a pot, plus he sells a cleaner specifically for copper. I want to write him one of these days and see if he'll sell an instruction manual to me. I may be cooking on too high a heat or not waiting long enough for the pans to heat up and that's why they're discoloring all the time.

But I find mine hard to keep clean, too. That's why I'd like to sell the set and get something in stainless steel. I have heard that if you aren't going to use your copper pans to cook in, you can coat them in something and they will retain the copper look for a very long time.

I'd look into that if I could afford to keep these pots and pans as decorations, especially as I also have 6 copper measuring cups I never plan to use - don't ask why I bought those because I don't know. All I know is one day I'm going to shine those up and put them on eBay, too.

Yep, I have built in bookcases and recessed storage, too. My house also came with a cistern in the cellar for storing rainwater.

img_1475685_0_ec7f512a539579ee488dc6bbd835a071.jpg

Steve, that truly is a beautiful house.

That is one thing about the Twin Cities. They have some nice old houses there. My grandmother used to live not too far from College of St. Catherine off of Cleveland Ave. Lots of nice homes in that area.

Steve, I'm just drooling over your house. Just look at that beautiful woodwork! It reminds me so much of my grandmothers house in Minnesota where we visited when I was a child. I for one would love to see more pictures of your treasure.
Thanks Kayelle! I'm really looking forward to moving in and making it my own. Just a couple of quick photos here, because I don't want to hijack RR's kitchen thread anymore than I already have.

Now keep in mind none of this is my furniture, so don't judge. ;) Most of my own things are mission style, which I think will be a nice compliment to the architecture.

Here is the foyer. The woodwork needs a little TLC, but I love the detail here.
img_1475690_0_3e6de2840ab73da8b07d371c2ff631d6.jpg

The 2nd floor hallway. Three bedrooms on this level.
img_1475690_1_e2cea11a9ab84a8c3e07bca0e569be8f.jpg

This is a view of the outside, with the wraparound deck.
img_1475690_2_62278a206261cdb6ca23f92c1a918b18.jpg

This is my favorite area of all. The previous owners converted the attic into a 3rd story loft space. This will be my office and media room. I have a 10 foot screen and digital projector that will go in here. There are also speakers mounted in the ceiling around the room. I can see spending a lot of time in this area.

img_1475690_3_0455e7093c2b24e30d3b059b46bd77d7.jpg

Steve, that truly is a beautiful house.

That is one thing about the Twin Cities. They have some nice old houses there. My grandmother used to live not too far from College of St. Catherine off of Cleveland Ave. Lots of nice homes in that area.
Thank you! Yes, St. Kate's - I know that area well!

Last edited:
Wow, that loft is awesome!! I can spend all day up there. And the entire house is beautiful!

If you don't mind me asking, how much does a home like that cost?

Last edited:
That really is a beautiful house, Steve. Mine was built in 1910 - a variation on American Four-Square - and I live in a designated historic neighborhood. Our woodwork already had several coats of paint on it by the time we bought it, though, so not gorgeous unpainted wood like you have.

I'd love to see pix after you've settled in, too. Mission-style furniture is perfect for that house.

Do you know how many owners the house has had Steve? With a house like this, I'm always thinking if only the walls could talk and the story they could tell. You're Mission style furniture will do justice to the house for sure! Thank goodness nobody ever painted over that beautiful woodwork and it can be restored where needed.
That loft is killer, as is the beautiful yard and deck. I'm green with envy, but so happy for you!

Do you know how many owners the house has had Steve? With a house like this, I'm always thinking if only the walls could talk and the story they could tell. You're Mission style furniture will do justice to the house for sure! Thank goodness nobody ever painted over that beautiful woodwork and it can be restored where needed.
That loft is killer, as is the beautiful yard and deck. I'm green with envy, but so happy for you!

Would you believe we're the third owners of our 1910 house? The family that built it lived here for about 50 years, the second family for 32 years, and we bought it in 1992.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom