"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2006, 04:31 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
I hear you, marm. It's the same way I've thought about prostitution - they prosecute the sellers much more than the buyers.

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #32
Executive Chef
Sing our anthem in English or don't sing it at all.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #33
Executive Chef
What a sad state the world would be if people could never communicate just cause they cant be bothered to try and learn a few words in another language.
At 10 years old I spoke only fluent German and a little english when we moved to the states s I had to learn alot really quick.I also know enough spanish to get by and communicate.
My only regret was my mother would not speak German with us when we were kids so I lost alot of it.How ever when I made it back to Germany after 30 years it was amazing how much I understood German and got by quite well.
Btw most germans spoke a fair amount of english.My aunt in Germany her daughter is a translator.I know she speaks japanese,russian,english,spanish and german of course what else I dont know.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #34
Chief Eating Officer
I do not have a problem per say with people translating it and changing the words, but what my issue with it is that these are the same people who are up in arms about being accepted into our country right now. By changing the words and language of our National Anthem, that just shows me that they are not so much interested in becoming part of this great country, but instead they just want to take from this country what they can, but not be part of it.

For the record, I have no problem with immigrants. The country exists only because of immigrants. Now ILLEGAL immigrants is a completely different story.

I also agree that our National Anthem is a pretty horrible choice for a National Anthem and think America The Beautiful is a MUCH better choice, but even though I do not like What we have I am still proud that it is ours and I will sing it proudly the way it was written. Tradition is an important thing and we should not change tradition just because someone comes along and want to do it the way it would have been done in their country.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
Closed Thread