"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 05-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Our New Babies

As many of you know, our cat Mr. Frodo is no longer with us. I knew one of our outdoor cats (too scared of us to come near us) had given birth a few months ago (I'm guessing 3 1/2 to 4 months ago), but we had never seen any babies. Last week I found two orange tabby kittens out back. It wasn't easy, but I managed to catch them, and I brought them in. I wasn't sure how they would do, and I was worried about how Cubbie would react, since they were so little. They wouldn't come near me for a long time, but when I managed to catch them, they calmed down pretty quickly. Well, this week they are running all over the place, climbing all over me and everything else. They hissed a lot at Cubbie, and when he got too close, they clawed his nose. Now, however, they will romp around with each other right in front of Cubbie! They don't hiss anymore (most of the time anyway) if Cubbie sniffs them. The only time there is a problem is when they go near Cubbie's food bowl. Cubbie will let James or me stick our hands in his bowl while he is eating if we wanted to, but he doesn't want other animals near it. We're working on that. But otherwise, everything is going pretty well.

I'm still working on a name for the boy. So far, for some reason, I have been calling him Sunshine Blue (sunny orange color and blue eyes), but I'm still watching him, waiting for the right name to come to me. I think his eyes have changed color anyway. The girl's name came to me this morning. She was lying on my leg and had big lion paws, and she is kind of a lion color, so she is Elsa (after the lioness on "Born Free."). Hopefully the picture will go in right. I tried a different photo program and don't like it. BTW, Mr. Frodo was probably their dad, and if not, he was at least their uncle. Oh yes, in the picture, Elsa is on the left, standing, and Sunshine Blue (or Blue, or whatever!) is on the right, lying down.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0033.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	4217  

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Barbara, Elsa (Have to think of Humphrey Bogart and Casablanca.) and "?" are adorable. Buck and I always name our cats by what they "are/become." Ours always "become" their names.

What beautiful babies you have. They are lucky to have you and James as their Mommy and Daddy.

Isn't it wonderful to have "new" children to love?

Mr. Frodo is living on in beautiful babies. What great furbabies!!!!!

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I always let my cats tell me their names too. When Elsa was on my leg this morning, she just was Elsa! As silly as it sounds, when I looked into the boy's beautiful blue eyes, Sunshine Blue came to me. I will have to keep watching him for more hints.

P.S. Yes, it is wonderful having more furry babies to love! I'm not sure if I could have talked James into letting me get another kitten right now, let alone two, but this way they were already ours! (And yes, I could have talked him into it, but it might have taken a lot of sad puppy-dog eyes, etc.!).
Old 05-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Senior Cook
They are so adorable!!!!
I'm so glad they will have a wonderful home. We adopted 2 shelter kitties a few months ago and just adore them. They are brother and sister and are named Bo and Lucy (by my dh) They make our lives so much richer.
Essiebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
Head Chef
Congrat's on your new baby's I know you miss Mr Frodo but life will be better now
you now have two souls to love
Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #6
Head Chef
Thanks for sharing those beautiful little babies with us. They are adorable.
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #7
I can't help but want to call them Merry and Pippin from LOTR because of Mr. Frodo. lol

They're so cute. =)
If you plan on keeping them indoors, be ready for a lot of running around at night. Little kittens and young cats like to sleep all day and go crazy at night. Also, if you are keeping them inside, keep your limbs under covers at night... Both of my cats would grab my hand/wrist/arm with all 4 sets of claws, bite, and just do a deathroll for a few minutes when I was going to sleep before we got them "fixed." Be careful. =)

I'm glad you have such cute kittens to enjoy. =)
Garband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:17 AM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

LOL I have been covered with cat scratches for about 30 years now! I'm not sure I would know what to do without them. I can't wait until they can jump up on me without having to use their claws so much! Yikes, I hate when I am sound asleep and a cat thinks my toes are a cat toy! We definitely plan to keep these in the house. As soon as they are old enough they will be off to the vet to be spayed and neutered, and of course they will need to be tested for Feline Leukemia and will need their shots.

Judging from the amount they eat, I'm not sure if they are really kittens or hogs!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:41 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Sooooo adorable!!!
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:00 AM   #10
Assistant Cook
Absolutely lovely babies, and also very lucky little babies ......

Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote