Our new member of the family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Typically the pups are all weaned and on puppy food by that age as most breeders won't let them nurse past 5 weeks, but I haven't had a pup that young in years (it's illegal here in PA to take them away from the mother before 7 weeks), so don't know what modern "protocol" is for a six week old. I would think 3 or 4 times per day would be fine. A good quality puppy food to help her along with goats milk mixed in if you know someone with goats. At least till she developes more, maybe for a couple weeks, then kibble would be OK. I gotta say, she sure looks younger than six weeks to me.

I also have to say, you don't see many white Boxers because responsible breeders will cull them. Sad, but true in any breeding program. I had a couple Boxer breeders tell me that 40% of Boxers are born white. They tend to develop a lot of health problems, deafness being one you will notice right away. I wish you all the best with her. You are right in saying she needs special care.

She's wonderful, Dina! I would probably call the vet's office today just to see what they say about feeding, but they will be able to tell you more tomorrow when they see her.

Keep up with the pics as she grows, okay?

I also have to say, you don't see many white Boxers because responsible breeders will cull them. Sad, but true in any breeding program. I had a couple Boxer breeders tell me that 40% of Boxers are born white. They tend to develop a lot of health problems, deafness being one you will notice right away. I wish you all the best with her. You are right in saying she needs special care.

Pacanis, I had an all white kitten with blue eyes. I was told that ALL pure white cats with blue eyes are deaf. Mine wasn't deaf at all..... though I do believe he had selective hearing LOL! As do most cats.

What I am trying to say is that statistics are not always right! But yes, it is something worth knowing.

Yes, I understand. Not all white dogs are going to be deaf and have problems, but they are a lot more likely to if they are not technically supposed to be white. And it is generally accepted among Boxer breeders that white is not a color they want to promote. I wish the best for Sam and hearing about her growing up, but I had to say something.

Pacanis is right about white animals having a tendency to deafness. It doesn't mean all will be deaf, but it's a thing to watch out for. You want to watch for it early because you will train your pup a little differently if it is deaf. (I used to have a white cat with different colored eyes and she was completely deaf. That said, my new pup (who is red) appears to be deaf, too, so it's not just white animals.)

But Dina, I have to say that is a completely adorable pup!!!! I'll bet your kids are enchanted with her. Is she settling in yet? Is she starting to develop a personality yet? Be sure and update us with pictures and stories.

I took her to the Vet today and he found tapeworms, hookworms and a skin infection. I've been very stressed and sad about it. She got a medicated shampoo and antibiotics for her skin condition. She hasn't shown any signs of Parvo so we're hopeful. She is malnourished so the Vet recommended a supplement to mix in with her puppy food. Due to malnourishment she has weak bones and can't walk or stand up straight. She's vomitted due to the vaccines and seems lethargic. My daughter is very helpful so between both of us and Vet's recommendations, we hope to care for her and bring her back to health. Would you all please pray for our little puppy? She needs a lot of support in every way.

Aww, Dina, of course you're going to get my prayers!! Poor little girl! She will get better, how can she not, with so much love aimed at her!!

That's very sad, Dina. Sounds like her "breeder" didn't give a hoot. I don't want this to turn into another animal abuse thread, but people like that tick me off. I hope she pulls through for you and grows up the best that she can.

Pacanis, I had an all white kitten with blue eyes. I was told that ALL pure white cats with blue eyes are deaf. Mine wasn't deaf at all..... though I do believe he had selective hearing LOL! As do most cats.

What I am trying to say is that statistics are not always right! But yes, it is something worth knowing.

my neighbor has two all white cats. they are both deaf.:cool:

Aww, Dina, of course you're going to get my prayers!! Poor little girl! She will get better, how can she not, with so much love aimed at her!!

when i got my thomas,cat, at the pound he got very sick the day after i got him. they are not free here.
he would not eat or drink water.
he was on antibiotics and iv for liquids. it took a while but he got better. he is healthy as can be now.

so hang in for the little puppy. sometimes it takes a while for them to get better. you sound like i was and already bonded to the pup. so keep your chin up and i will bet he gets better.

babe:)

I took her to the Vet today and he found tapeworms, hookworms and a skin infection. I've been very stressed and sad about it. She got a medicated shampoo and antibiotics for her skin condition. She hasn't shown any signs of Parvo so we're hopeful. She is malnourished so the Vet recommended a supplement to mix in with her puppy food. Due to malnourishment she has weak bones and can't walk or stand up straight. She's vomitted due to the vaccines and seems lethargic. My daughter is very helpful so between both of us and Vet's recommendations, we hope to care for her and bring her back to health. Would you all please pray for our little puppy? She needs a lot of support in every way.

Oh my gosh, Dina. I had to go offline most of yesterday, but knew I wanted to see what happened at the vet yesterday. I'm so sorry about the bad things you found out. But I have every hope in that little bitty's chances.
I find, after you do what you have to do for them with food and meds, it's best to let them be, sleep as much as they want and let their own bodies take over. We can kill them with kindness and attention sometimes.
When my baby got bit on his snout by a pigmy rattlesnake, he didn't pee, or drink or eat, or get off the couch for 3+ days. I gave him the meds the vet gave me, tried to get him to drink water at least, bringing the bowl to him, but nothing. So I let him alone, and slowly, very slowly, he came around. I think the feeling of being loved and feeling secure is just as important as the meds. So keep her comfy, and all and know we're saying prayers. She'll be fine I'm sure, I pray, I hope.

Ah thanks for your words, Quicksilver. I'm just updating that Sam is better today. She ate well at 5:30 this morning, played then napped. Oh but let me tell you about nap time. She likes to be held, cuddled and petted as she falls asleep. Once she's in a deep sleep then I place her carefully in her crate and she sleeps like a baby. LOL She's SPOILED already! At lunchtime, she did it all over again. She refuses water so I'm having to add plenty of water mixed with her food. The supplemental food the Vet prescribed is helping her as I see her stronger, holding herself up more and she's not hungry between meals. I will continue to keep you all updated on her and post pics to see her growth. Thanks for the prayers for our little Sam.

Ah thanks for your words, Quicksilver. I'm just updating that Sam is better today. She ate well at 5:30 this morning, played then napped. Oh but let me tell you about nap time. She likes to be held, cuddled and petted as she falls asleep. Once she's in a deep sleep then I place her carefully in her crate and she sleeps like a baby. LOL She's SPOILED already! At lunchtime, she did it all over again. She refuses water so I'm having to add plenty of water mixed with her food. The supplemental food the Vet prescribed is helping her as I see her stronger, holding herself up more and she's not hungry between meals. I will continue to keep you all updated on her and post pics to see her growth. Thanks for the prayers for our little Sam.

Aren't they the sweetest when they snuggle?!
I'm glad she is doing better today and I know that she will continue to thrive with you as her momma!!

When my mom got her dog Baby, Baby was terribly weak and very sick. She was a puppy mill puppy, and the store where we got her fed them adult dog food. She was too little to eat it, so she ate the sawdust. With tender loving care, Baby became strong and healthy. She lived to the age of 14 1/2, and except for a few tumors at the end, she was strong and healthy her whole life.

I'm glad to hear that Sam is responding positively. Give her a cuddle and a kiss or two for me. My prayers for her health will continue.

:)Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom