Our new member of the family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sam is doing great! She had left the poop for a while then started back up again yesterday. Ick! I'm fixing to go brush her teeth and bathe her to bring her inside. Should I begin giving her vitamins in case it's what she's missing by eating the poop? I don't know how to keep her from doing this. It drives me nuts as our 5 year old loves to play with her. Here's the latest pic of her taken 3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• 100_1431.jpg
    100_1431.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 165
you know, vitamins can be really hard on the digestive system.....I think that she'd throw them up again.......this is why you're told to take them with food.......I would take her to the vet......

Oh what success! I have been following this little dog since beginning and praying and hoping things would be okay. What a rough start for something so cute and precious. My brother found 6 kittens t hat the mother left in his garage and the owner locked the mother up and would not let the kittens nurse. My brother did it and that was five years ago. Today, he has six wild cats that are beautiful but no one can get near them. They are constantly waking my brother up at 4 in the morning for their food by throwing themselves on his door. When anyone comes over to the house if he is near the cats they run up his pants leg and jump away. He takes them to the vet by manages to catch one at time when they eat. In other words, they never got a mother's love and this is the real reason they act so different. They are so big and beautiful. I am only thankful, truly t hankful this little puppy got to be in the home he has. What a blessing. I just love you for giving him all the time and attention and you know he will repay you everyday of his life. That is what a bond should be between his mother and him. Instead he loves you all the more. This just made my day. I will consider it something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I love dogs and can't recommend them enough.

My neighbor just got a Dalmatian that has same trouble. No one can pet the dog. Always have to manipulate some kind of way to entice him to be caught off guard. I give the dog treats everyday and he won't let me put my hand on him. So very sad.

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures. They really make your posts so much more personal. Good luck with him and you know you never made a mistake doing all this. Excuse me for relating so much of my own similar experience. I go on and on and on and on. (My dogs don't mind, people do)

These are only my own personal feelings.

Thank you guys. We sure saved Sam's life thankfully. I very sad to say that we ended up rehoming her last night. Due to her eating poop, she developed worms and we didn't want our 5 year old getting sick. It was a stressful situation cleaning after Sam and keeping our little boy clean and safe. The vet bill, meds and accessories turned out to be $1,000 in the 2 months we had her. DH told us he could not afford that anymore. I'm so sad knowing she's not with us anymore but I feel that the new family will love her just as much.

Thats too bad Dina. It seems you just aren't destined to have a pet. They are a lot of work thats for sure. And expensive little boogers too! Murray was about $1000 just to bring him home! I'm not even going to figure out what we spend on him monthly for food and toys etc. The cats aren't cheap either, but they are less than the dog.

I hope you find a pet that suits your home. Good luck my friend.

:( I'm so sorry to hear this. What kind of family took Sam? I would have taken Sam in a heart beat but we already have three dogs.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad you took her when you did though, as I'm sure your care is why she has lived and thrived this long.

:huh:Barbara

I didn't get to meet the family who took her but the weird thing is that their last name is Nuñez also. Wow! Who would have thought. The lady who took Sam is my husband's co-worker with 3 teens. The kids really liked Sam. Who wouldn't?

I've been extremely sad missing her. My kids seem to be okay. They didn't spend as much time with her as I did so I get to feel most of the loss. We will stay in contact with the other Nuñez family to check on Sam periodically. Seems our role with pets is mostly to foster them. We're just glad we got her healthy and strong.

Dogs don't get worms from eating their own poop unless they have the worms themself. Or their area is infected.

I'm glad you took this abused pup in for the short time you had her. And sad for her.

She looks so good Dina - you did a great job!!!! For future reference...there are pills you can buy at Pet Smart and various places to stop them from eating their own poop. Some dogs just do that and I was told it is almost inherent as that is what the mother does to keep her "house" clean for her babies. Don't know if that's true or not but it did make sense. I gave our dog the pills and eventually she just stopped. It was also my understanding that they don't "get" anything from doing that except really bad breath :blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom