"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #71
Executive Chef

Gi Me, Gi me, Huggles. I NEED THAT FACE!!!!!!!! And your son is just a munch!
Thanks for the pics, Dina!

Old 10-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow... 100% improvement. She looks great! Great pics!
And what a cutie!

Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #73
Executive Chef

I can't believe the difference, Dina! Sam looks like a different puppy! So healthy and such a beautiful coat! Never underestimate the power of love, huh?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #74
Master Chef

Dina, I am so glad that Sam is doing very well. It just breaks my heart to hear about animals that have been mistreated or have not been given the proper care. It is nice to see a happy ending to this story. I agree with everyone else, Sam is very cute.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:48 AM   #75
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
actually at Halloween we have a local pet shop that has dogs pose for pictures dressed in costumes and at Christmas there is chair and a Santa outside that will pose with your pet..........too cute..........
Yep. PetsMart has it going for Halloween pictures this Tuesday. We are going to take Sam, more than likely.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:15 AM   #76
Master Chef

oh, then post a picture, Dina....I love pictures of people's pets.........
Old 10-19-2008, 03:07 AM   #77
Traveling Welcome Wagon

All the pictures are adorable, but the one of Sam sleeping on the stair is priceless! She has grown so much!

Barbara
Old 10-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #78
Executive Chef

She may be scared of the stairs now but in no time I'm sure she will be ripping up and down those stairs.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #79
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Alright now that Sam is all better I'd like to work on the house training (WHICH IS DRIVING ME NUTS!) We've been strictly using pads and sprays to attract her to pee and poop on them but NOTHING! We wake up every morning with poop all over her paws and crate. We end up wiping everything down with Clorox cleaner which takes a good 20 minutes to do that whole crate. Argh! We don't want to take her outside on the grass afraid she will contact Parvo since she doesn't have her full set of vaccines yet. We did try a baby diaper, ripped a tiny hole for her tail to stick out through, and that worked. My daughter only wipped her and there was no mess everywhere.

Can anyone help on how I should be housetraining her for better results? I even thought of a litter box but that junk is for cats only and would be too weird on puppies.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #80
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Alright now that Sam is all better I'd like to work on the house training (WHICH IS DRIVING ME NUTS!) We've been strictly using pads and sprays to attract her to pee and poop on them but NOTHING! We wake up every morning with poop all over her paws and crate. We end up wiping everything down with Clorox cleaner which takes a good 20 minutes to do that whole crate. Argh! We don't want to take her outside on the grass afraid she will contact Parvo since she doesn't have her full set of vaccines yet. We did try a baby diaper, ripped a tiny hole for her tail to stick out through, and that worked. My daughter only wipped her and there was no mess everywhere.

Can anyone help on how I should be housetraining her for better results? I even thought of a litter box but that junk is for cats only and would be too weird on puppies.
House training is a huge chore, Dina. It's especially hard to train a pup who was rejected by it's mother. The mom cleans them up from the time they are born and it teaches them not to like having pee and poop on them. Here's what I'm doing with Junior - maybe some of it will help.

He spends most of the day in our den, which has tile floors and a back door. He gets walked on the leash every 2 hours. He's only allowed in the rest of the house for maybe 1/2 hour immediately after he has been walked. No playing around during the walks. When he potties, we immediately pet and praise him and sometimes offer him a little treat. The few times he has had an accident, we show him and then take him to the door and help him scratch on the door and then take him outside. It's starting to sink in and he sometimes scratches - mostly if he has to poop. We don't use pads or newspaper. He's about 6 months old now so of course, Sam won't be able to hold it as long as Junior can yet.

We feed him 3 times a day, with the last meal being at 6 pm. We take his water up at 8 pm. He gets walked around midnight and then goes into his crate.

The crate is really a carrier that is only a little bigger than he is. It has some fuzzy bedding in it. It is next to my bed with the front facing so he can see me. He wakes me up by whining and scratching when he needs to go potty. When he was younger, he could only go for about 4 hours so I had to get up at least once a night. (I would walk him and then immediately put him back in his crate for sleeping - no playing in the middle of the night and no water either.) Now he can wait for 7 or 8 hours at night and he never potties in his crate.

Maybe if you could borrow a carrier from someone that is just barely big enough for Sam, you could use it for nightime. I know she's growing so fast that it would be ridiculously expensive to keep buying carriers that you know she'll outgrow within a month. In the daytime, I would use your larger kennel whenever you can't be with her every second. You really can't trust them completely for quite a long time.

Good luck, Dina.