"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #991
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
does anyone here have a great dane for a pet? or know one? my daughter just bought a bernie great dane puppy. i know she is going to be one hell of a big girl, but what else should i know about this breed of dog? what sort of experiences, good/bad, have you had with your great dane? any and all of your input will be much appreciated.
The only thing I know is that in a big breed, it is important not to neuter a female too young. I believe they should go into heat before being neutered. Something not so good happens to their bone growth if they are neutered too young, so be sure to find out about that. Pacanis mentioned that, maybe even in this topic.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #992
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
does anyone here have a great dane for a pet? or know one? my daughter just bought a bernie great dane puppy. i know she is going to be one hell of a big girl, but what else should i know about this breed of dog? what sort of experiences, good/bad, have you had with your great dane? any and all of your input will be much appreciated.
vit, I have no experience with a Great Dane, but here is some info on the breed. Sounds like a great family dog: http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/great-dane

Old 04-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #993
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The only thing I know is that in a big breed, it is important not to neuter a female too young. I believe they should go into heat before being neutered. Something not so good happens to their bone growth if they are neutered too young, so be sure to find out about that. Pacanis mentioned that, maybe even in this topic.
When I had my Alsatian/GSD bitch many years ago I queried this with the vet and he said it was a fallacy. She was "done " before her first season and suffered no ill effects. The jury is out. I suppose the vet will advise the OP
Old 04-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #994
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
One year I watch Crufts dog show and they mentioned that it was illegal in England to dock the tails. Hearing that was the best part of the whole show.
The law is fairly recent - 2007. Not before time. Docking of horses was banned in 1949.

A friend has a young Rottweiler. It's funny how having a tail makes him look much less aggressive than his older cousins with no tails.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #995
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Just be careful and don't let them get loose. The kittens just exploded from the carrier when I opened it. Good thing I had taken them in the bathroom of the hotel room and closed the door so that I'd be able to bring my overnight bag, laptop and food in without having to worry about them getting out, and also so that they'd be in a closed off space for a bit to find their litter box and use it before I let them have the run of the hotel room.

MC: Good luck with the new fur baby. And somewhere in this thread (I think) is my report on trying to get them to use the toilet.
Fortunately, Rosie is two years old so it will only be a case of making sure she knows where it is. I'll be getting a cat flap fitted when she's been settled in for a couple of weeks as she prefers to "go" outside.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #996
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
When I had my Alsatian/GSD bitch many years ago I queried this with the vet and he said it was a fallacy. She was "done " before her first season and suffered no ill effects. The jury is out. I suppose the vet will advise the OP
Great Danes are considered a "giant breed", a lot bigger than an Alsatian.

Yes, it's controversial, but I did say to find out about it. There are vets on both sides of the argument. The contention is that since estrogen is needed to tell the bones to stop growing, they don't in a giant breed bitch who was spayed early. It isn't just theoretical. Plenty of people have had that experience with their bitch. I don't know how common it is. I don't know if that risk outweighs the risks of waiting.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #997
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Great Danes are considered a "giant breed", a lot bigger than an Alsatian.

Yes, it's controversial, but I did say to find out about it. There are vets on both sides of the argument. The contention is that since estrogen is needed to tell the bones to stop growing, they don't in a giant breed bitch who was spayed early. It isn't just theoretical. Plenty of people have had that experience with their bitch. I don't know how common it is. I don't know if that risk outweighs the risks of waiting.
Oh yes, I know but the oestrogen argument was used about all breeds when I had Vashti - at least over here.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #998
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Just be careful and don't let them get loose. The kittens just exploded from the carrier when I opened it. Good thing I had taken them in the bathroom of the hotel room and closed the door so that I'd be able to bring my overnight bag, laptop and food in without having to worry about them getting out, and also so that they'd be in a closed off space for a bit to find their litter box and use it before I let them have the run of the hotel room.

MC: Good luck with the new fur baby. And somewhere in this thread (I think) is my report on trying to get them to use the toilet.
I have a custom made "wall" made with chain link fencing, fits the car and has a small opening that can be accessed in the car. I am training them now the only way in and out of it is in their carriers. Both cats have their own carriers, otherwise they fight. Brats!
Old 04-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #999
Executive Chef

Picked Rosie up at 6.30. Let her out of the carrier into the kitchen where food, toys, bed and litter tray were all set up. She retired behind my chair and sulked. I tried to tempt her out with cat treats which she sniffed at in disgust. Eventually I moved the chair and she deigned to eat six salmon treats and have a walk round. She is not very impressed especially when she discovered that she was expected to stay in the kitchen while I went to bed on my own.

The only thing that concerns me is that by the time I came to bed at 11.15pm she still hadn't used the litter tray despite having it shown to her twice and she was put into it once.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #1000
Chef Extraordinaire

MC, I sure hope Rosie settles in soon and gets over her snit.

Tags
egg