"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #1001
Executive Chef

thanks so much mad cook, taxlady and gg--everybody, for your kind and helpful responses to my new puppy question. the dogtime link in particular, looks to be a terrific source of information for the new GD pet owner. i have sent that one on to my girl's fb page. it's certain to serve as a useful practical guide and reference tool for her getting to know and care for her new doggie.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #1002
Executive Chef

Rosie the Tuxedo Cat

Right, now I'm getting worried.

I collected Rosie yesterday evening at 6pm. I was given some of her favourite wet food and kibble, her bedding toys and the litter she's used to.

I set everything up in the kitchen while she was still in the car. Brought out the cat carrier. Put it down on the kitchen floor opened it up and let her come out in her own time. She surveyed the territory for 5 minutes then came out and explored a bit then came and sat under my chair. She ignored her toys and food and apart from looking at it and walking through it she showed no interest in the litter tray.

I stayed in the kitchen with her, pottering about and tidying up and from time to time sitting down with a cup of tea. She didn't emerge from under the chair all this time until I moved the chair, at which she came and put her paws on my knees. I picked her up and stroked her and put her down again and she went back under her chair. I went to bed at about 11.30 and she still hadn't eaten, drunk or used her tray. Neither had she "been" anywhere else in the kitchen (kitchen has hard flooring which is why I started her there so I'd know if she did her business anywhere else.

Got up late and she still hadn't done any of the above but was lying in her bed. She got up and said good morning and stalked off to sit under the chair again.

She is quite calm and doesn't seem distressed in any way apart from a loud yowl or two when I first said good morning. I opened another pouch of food to see if it would tempt her but she didn't even sniff at it. I gave her a tiny sliver of tuna when I was making a sandwich which she sniffed, looked at in disgust and ignored it.

It's now 3pm today and she still hasn't eaten, drunk or used the tray and is yowling pathetically when she sees me.

We were going to the vet tomorrow to register her as a patient and get her jabs done, etc., but I'm beginning to think I should be a bit worried.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #1003
Chef Extraordinaire

I wouldn't worry too much yet. We adopted a cat from a shelter last year and put her in the dining room (we can close it up) with food, water, a bed and a litter box. She hid behind the china cabinet for two days and didn't touch anything as far as we could tell. But eventually she started using everything and has become a sweet, friendly pet. Cats hate change and need time to get used to it. I think Rosie will be fine.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #1004
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Henri, I made the mistake once of changing litter and Latte would not use it...that little brat held it in for three days before she exploded all over her favorite blanket. She will also not eat if there is any change in the food. Shrek said, when I was gone for 4 days she would not eat or drink, but was fine once I got home. She always comes around and so will Rosie. She is still checking out her new surroundings.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #1005
Head Chef

Best laugh in weeks!

This morning, while getting stuff out to make the crepes for our blintzes, I accidentally dropped an egg right in front of the fridge as I was getting them out of the egg bin. Of course it just splatted and broke. The door is low to the ground so I couldn't close it. I grabbed some paper towels from the opposite counter, cleaned up what I could with dry ones, then went back to get some damp ones to finish cleaning. Little Miss Mindy and Mork decided they needed to come see what was going on and investigate that big white box that they have never really gotten to check out. So, as I bend over to wipe the floor, I go to shake out the damp towels. I guess Mindy was really intent on checking out the big cold box (she has a SERIOUS box fetish/addiction) and the sudden jerky movements of my hand, combined with the towels expanding from being scrunched up to squeeze the water out frightened her. She went to take off running, barreled into Mork who was standing just outside the kitchen in the dining room, BOUNCED off him, and then had trouble getting traction so you can hear the scrabbling on the wood floor. She finally managed after several panicked seconds to take off with Mork right behind her because I guess he figured since she was hightailing it out of the area that maybe he should too.

You just had to be there, it was absolutely hilarious. I was laughing so hard I could barely stand up and had to lean against the fridge and had tears coming out of my eyes. By the time I was able to stand up, Mindy had decided to cautiously make a return. She was just around the corner trying to peek into the kitchen, all scrunched down, ready to run if need be, and had this look on her face like what in the heck was that and is it safe now or do I need to run again? Which, of course, set off another round of laughter for me.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #1006
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Love the story Medtran. I can see it in my mind's eye. "Expanding scrunched up paper towel. Eek, Run for your life."

And that scrabbling to get traction thing.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #1007
Chef Extraordinaire

I hear ya on that one.

Like a lot of small dogs, Teddy every so often will stand on his front legs to urinate. The first time he did it he was still a puppy. I just happened to be outside when Spike showed up with him. I was sitting on the bench talking to some of the old biddies that live in the building. He came right up in front of all of us and stood on his front legs and did his thing. We all starting laughing so hard it is a wonder none of us had a heart attack. Even Spike was laughing. Spike had his cell phone with him and managed to catch him doing his little circus act.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #1008
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I hear ya on that one.

Like a lot of small dogs, Teddy every so often will stand on his front legs to urinate. The first time he did it he was still a puppy. I just happened to be outside when Spike showed up with him. I was sitting on the bench talking to some of the old biddies that live in the building. He came right up in front of all of us and stood on his front legs and did his thing. We all starting laughing so hard it is a wonder none of us had a heart attack. Even Spike was laughing. Spike had his cell phone with him and managed to catch him doing his little circus act.
I saw one of the squirrels in the backyard do that, while he was standing on the fence.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #1009
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Funny MedTran. The cats are so funny all the time, their reactions are just crazy.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:39 PM   #1010
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I wouldn't worry too much yet. We adopted a cat from a shelter last year and put her in the dining room (we can close it up) with food, water, a bed and a litter box. She hid behind the china cabinet for two days and didn't touch anything as far as we could tell. But eventually she started using everything and has become a sweet, friendly pet. Cats hate change and need time to get used to it. I think Rosie will be fine.
Thanks, GG. Yes, I've decided to leave her to her own devices and hope she'll come round. She sneaked into the dining room at about 4pm and hid under the sofa and is still there. I'll let her get on with it.

Her former foster mum gave me some of the cat litter she's used to and some food and I'd already asked for details and bought some in. She came with her own cushion for her bed so it's not been too much of a change.

Hopefully she'll come round.

Tags
egg