Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My daughter is pressuring me to get a kitty. Any advice? How do you chose one? How do you know if it's healthy? I don't even know what questions to ask. Please help

My daughter is pressuring me to get a kitty. Any advice? How do you chose one? How do you know if it's healthy? I don't even know what questions to ask. Please help
I suggest starting with a local animal shelter and asking about young kittens. When you get a kitten from a shelter, it has to be examined by a veterinarian, and spayed and given its first shots, before it can be adopted. Take your daughter with you to see what's available. Most likely she will be drawn to one or more of them, whether for its color or behavior. Also ask the people at the shelter what supplies you will need.

I suggest starting with a local animal shelter and asking about young kittens. When you get a kitten from a shelter, it has to be examined by a veterinarian, and spayed and given its first shots, before it can be adopted. Take your daughter with you to see what's available. Most likely she will be drawn to one or more of them, whether for its color or behavior. Also ask the people at the shelter what supplies you will need.

++1:wub:

How old is your daughter? Who will be the primary caretaker?

Putting my "rescue" hat on (I've done Corgi rescue since the mid-90's), please look into your heart, if you really don't want a kitty, please do not get one!

IMHO, the worst lesson one can teach one's child is that the are "disposable". Meaning, if you have to re-home or otherwise give up the kitty, you teach a lesson that you might not like, someday in the future. Remember, you might need a caretaker, one day...it might be your daughter?

Goodness Ginny - you will give people the wrong impression of rescue workers as being fanatical!

Hey Charlie, although what Ginny says is true I'll take it upon myself to soften it a bit for her. You have already started out on the right foot by asking questions first.

Congratulations, I don't think you'll be sorry! Nor will your daughter! LOL, as mentioned, you best bet is the SPCA. There you will probably get good advice on care and necessities.

She may even be attracted to an older cat in need of some love. Congrat again and don't forget to post a picture. Your not going to get out of there without a fur baby!

dragn, I don't think that Ginny is going overboard. Taking on a pet of any kind is a "till death do we part" kind of thing. Too many animals are abandoned.

It's fine that your daughter wants a pet, but do you want one in the house? You need to be as open to the idea of a pet as she is. After all, if you get a kitty cat, and you don't really like cats, sure as rain that feline will consider you his/her very favorite human. :LOL:

If you decide to adopt, check with local shelters. You can probably find a list of nearby ones online. Many have galleries with photos and descriptions of their adoptable cats and dogs. Most charge an adoption fee, but that normally includes spaying, checking for feline leukemia and other medical conditions, and basic vaccinations. The shelter we adopted our cat from didn't do those things in-house, but we were given a voucher to take her to one of the vet clinics that would check her out.

If you go through with this, good luck :heart: and prepare to fall in love.

I agree with GG and Ginny. Also, how old is your daughter?

If there is a Facebook group for your neighbourhood / area, try asking them who the best rescue shelters are.

And last, but not least, please do not get a pet from a pet store, unless it's one that works with a rescue. The risk of getting a sick animal seems to be highest, when they are bought at a pet store. I have friends who had that problem. Also, many pet stores get their animals from puppy and kitten mills. Those places do not take good care of the animals. You don't want to give them any money.

I agree with CG & Taxy...I'm sorry if my post comes across in some harsh way. But, I listen to all the "reasons" that folks turn in their pets. This year, we're up to 45 request for OTI (Owner Turn-In). Last year, we had 9.

I "blame" this on the lock-down as much as anything else. I get that people were lonely! I really do. And, for whatever it is worth, I made a point to be MORE in touch with friends and relatives that live alone, during the isolation.

I can't tell you how many times, over the years, I've heard the "reason" was that the person wasn't sure, but thought they would try. Grrrrrr...I think I've heard them all, but I won't try to list them here. And, yes, I cry for the rejected!

There are other ways people can spend time with animals, without adopting. Volunteer opportunities at shelters and rescues is a good start.

So, again, how old is your daughter? And, please be honest with yourself! The rewards of pet ownership can be wonderful...but it doesn't always go that way, right from the start.

Another way to find out if you actually want to live with a pet is to foster. Many rescues need foster homes for the animals before they are adopted to their "forever homes".

^^^THIS!^^^ Charlie, if your daughter fosters a kitty and she finds out that a pet is for her, the shelter is always happy to have a "foster fail". If your daughter finds out that a kitty/cat isn't as much fun as she thought (it IS work, after all), the shelter will take the kitty back and see if they can find another foster family.

^^^THIS!^^^ Charlie, if your daughter fosters a kitty and she finds out that a pet is for her, the shelter is always happy to have a "foster fail". If your daughter finds out that a kitty/cat isn't as much fun as she thought (it IS work, after all), the shelter will take the kitty back and see if they can find another foster family.

My last, previous Corgi was a Failed Foster! She was turned in to rescue because she snored. So, she snored next to my feet for 14.5 years.

A friend of mine had had cats for years. Her beloved cat had recently died at the age of 19. My friend wasn't ready to adopt another cat, but she missed the feline company. She fostered a number of different cats over a period of about a year. Then, it was time to return her most recent foster and she realized that she didn't want to return this one. She and this cat got along really well, so she told the rescue that she wanted to keep her. That one now lives in her forever home with my friend.

Last edited:
My son made a helmet for our old Norwegian Forest cat, Mush.

He said he wants to be called The Mushdelorean.

This is the way.

Attachments

• 18655.jpg
    18655.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 20
I think I'm gonna have to get this guy his own cell phone with unlimited data. He wastches way too many videos (and loves to watch Uncle Vinny and Zia Lucia)

Attachments

• 0615202036a.jpg
    0615202036a.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom