"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #1141
Chef Extraordinaire

MC, it sounds like you and your animals are having a ball. Has anyone told Tetley that he can't do anything with his harem? Or is he like a lot of the old men in this building who think the "blue" pill is their savior? Just let him have his fun. Just like the old men here in this building, all he can do is dream. It never hurts to dream.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #1142
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
MC, it sounds like you and your animals are having a ball. Has anyone told Tetley that he can't do anything with his harem? Or is he like a lot of the old men in this building who think the "blue" pill is their savior? Just let him have his fun. Just like the old men here in this building, all he can do is dream. It never hurts to dream.
Actually, he can do something. He can't get them pregnant.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #1143
Certified Cake Maniac

Jabbur, good on you for fostering! My SIL and her hubby have fostered many dogs over the last few years. They have had deaf dogs, a blind one and right now they have a little guy who just had a really bad start to his life and can't find a forever home. I know they will either get him in shape or end up keeping him - though they have never done that before. This one just really needs a good loving home and they can provide that.

Violet had a very large skin tag removed from her hind leg on Wednesday. She was howling it up like it was a full moon thanks to the morphine. The vet only sedated her with it and gave a local. She is too old to be given a general and with her medications and other conditions we just won't take the risk. But today she seems much better.

We took the cone off when we are with her because we are worried in this heat. There have been a few dogs around here who have died with the cone collars on because it holds in the heat and they can't breath properly. She is not licking the bandage so we are okay for now, but I will probably have to keep it on more when we take the bandage off tomorrow.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:22 AM   #1144
Executive Chef

Update on Rusty

We have had Rusty for 2 months today. He has come a long way. When we first got him, he stayed under the dining room table and when he did come out he was very timid and kept his tail between his legs. He has gradually warmed up to me, actually to the extreme, not wanting to be more than an inch away from me. It has taken him a bit longer to accept DH. So far the key seems to be how much you feed him when you're in the kitchen, cooking. LOL So far his favorite is frozen meatballs. Yes, he eats them frozen as well as defrosted. Rusty doesn't seem to bark much at other animals or the neighbors, unless they enter our property. Good watch dog. We don't get a lot of company, but by trial and error we have discovered that it's men who set him off. If BIL is here, Rusty barks and growls the whole time he's here. Yesterday, GS was here and he barked a lot at him, but when his mother came to pick him up we sat out on the porch talking for a while and Rusty actually laid down and went to sleep. Only if DH and GS came into view did he bark.

He doesn't get on the furniture, but if we are leaving, and he seems to know somehow, he will jump up on the sofa and sit up on the back. He never gets on the sofa at any other time. We don't know where that's coming from.

He likes to join me when I go into the bathroom. When I take a shower, he seems to want to jump in with me, but that's a No-No. I think maybe that's where his previous owner used to bathe him, since it was a trailer. We bathe him in the laundry tub downstairs.

All in all, except for not liking men, we couldn't have asked for a better dog from a shelter.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #1145
Chef Extraordinaire

Carol, has DH made any concerted effort to get him to warm him up to himself? When Teddy first met Pirate, he would not stop barking at him. So Pirate just picked him up and held him on his lap. He gave him scratchies. Boy that calmed him right down. It took few more visits before he began to finally accept Pirate and stop barking at him. It took a few more session for him to stop nipping a Pirate's ankles. Now when Teddy comes in the door, he runs to Pirate and jumps right up on his lap. Spike tells me that he is also getting better with other males he comes in contact with them.

It just takes patience and teaching him trust.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #1146
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Carol, that's great news about Rusty.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:08 AM   #1147
Executive Chef

Yes, Addie, Rusty's trust of DH is growing day by day, but I am still his favorite and the only one who can always go right up to him and pick him up. With DH it's hit or miss. When we first got him I held him every chance I got and rubbed his ears, scratched his back, etc, which makes him want to cuddle up close to you. Giving him meatballs, helps a lot, too. LOL Yesterday, my step-daughter and husband were here. He barked at them off and on but I let my SIL hold him and pet him and that helped. After they left he kept running to the door and letting out a little bark. I don't know if he will ever warm uo to DH's brother though, because I don't think he likes dogs.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #1148
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Yes, Addie, Rusty's trust of DH is growing day by day, but I am still his favorite and the only one who can always go right up to him and pick him up. With DH it's hit or miss. When we first got him I held him every chance I got and rubbed his ears, scratched his back, etc, which makes him want to cuddle up close to you. Giving him meatballs, helps a lot, too. LOL Yesterday, my step-daughter and husband were here. He barked at them off and on but I let my SIL hold him and pet him and that helped. After they left he kept running to the door and letting out a little bark. I don't know if he will ever warm uo to DH's brother though, because I don't think he likes dogs.
Carol, if DH's brother doesn't like dogs, Rusty knows it. Animals have that sixth sense. But I am glad to hear that he warming up to other family members. He sounds like he is a great dog and so worth having. Sounds like he wants to be your best friend.

Teddy gives off that little last bark. He just has to get the last word in. My apartment is in a little cove like area. There are four other apartments in it. When another tenant goes in their house, Teddy runs to the door and barks. He is so territorial. I have him now that I just have to say his name and look at him. He stops barking, but as he walks away, he gives me a little nip of a bark. Just has to get that last word in. I have to laugh when he does that.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #1149
Executive Chef

I think it's more that DH's brother is not used to dogs than actually not liking them. They never had a pet growing up. His parents were afraid of dogs, but most of the kids got pets when they moved out. DH had a dog when I met him and we have had one, or two, throughout our marriage.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #1150
Chef Extraordinaire

Dogs are pack animals and expect the pack to have a hierarchy. The dog is barking at men because it thinks it's in charge. Your husband should be letting the dog know that he's the pack leader and not the dog.

Tags
egg