"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #1161
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our pets

That's why labs make such good seeing eye/service and hunting dogs. They take well to training, and are good listeners.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #1162
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes. A friend of mine took her boxer to the same trainer we did and her dog was as responsive as ours - except for the incessant boxer slobber, of course

Old 07-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #1163
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yes. A friend of mine took her boxer to the same trainer we did and her dog was as responsive as ours - except for the incessant boxer drooling, of course
Jack was already three years old when we took him to the trainer. He responded well, as long as he was at the training camp. When we took him home, it was a different story. My husband and I discussed the training methods and my choice would have been to have the trainer come to the house. At the training camp, all the dog owners are also ''trained'', your neighbors might not be dog friendly people, or simply do not understand the canine species. So far the only ''enemy'' who comes close to the house is the mail-lady. She drives her little car like a maniac and that drives him crazy, but she is nice to him, anyway.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #1164
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfranca View Post
Jack was already three years old when we took him to the trainer. He responded well, as long as he was at the training camp. When we took him home, it was a different story. My husband and I discussed the training methods and my choice would have been to have the trainer come to the house. At the training camp, all the dog owners are also ''trained'', your neighbors might not be dog friendly people, or simply do not understand the canine species. So far the only ''enemy'' who comes close to the house is the mail-lady. She drives her little car like a maniac and that drives him crazy, but she is nice to him, anyway.
Have you tried rewarding good behavior and scolding for bad behavior? No petting, not treats, and turn your back on him after scolding. Just like humans, they need our love and approval. I would have wanted the trainer to come to the home also. They get to see the dogs environment and see in person what sets off his behavior problems. Is that option still open for you?
Old 07-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #1165
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I think the issue is when Jack is being walked, and sees a cat, his natural instinct is to see it as prey and give chase. No amount of ignoring or treats is going to stop that instinct. A firm hand on the leash and a "stop", "no", or "leave it", maybe a treat if he quits pulling might help.

When a 23 lb beagle is strong enough to take me down, I can understand how difficult it would be to stop a 50-70 lb dog!
Old 07-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #1166
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I took care of a Saint Bernard for a while. Thank goodness he didn't try to pull me. It was a joy walking him after the huskies. Now imagine how much fun it was carrying home groceries on snowy sidewalks with a husky.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #1167
Chef Extraordinaire

Cree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I think the issue is when Jack is being walked, and sees a cat, his natural instinct is to see it as prey and give chase. No amount of ignoring or treats is going to stop that instinct. A firm hand on the leash and a "stop", "no", or "leave it", maybe a treat if he quits pulling might help.

When a 23 lb beagle is strong enough to take me down, I can understand how difficult it would be to stop a 50-70 lb dog!
That's why the training has to be constant and consistent, every single time. You stop walking, jerk the leash, and say firmly "Here!" Pull the dog to your side and make them sit, with a treat if necessary, to reward them for sitting. Make sure you have their attention. Then start walking and say firmly, repeatedly, "Walk here. Walk here." Keep them by your side. Praise them for staying by you.

Do this every time they start to chase something. It might take a week. It might take two or three weeks. They will learn that they just aren't allowed to chase something and will stop trying. You have to be more persistent than they are.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #1168
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Have you tried rewarding good behavior and scolding for bad behavior? No petting, not treats, and turn your back on him after scolding. Just like humans, they need our love and approval. I would have wanted the trainer to come to the home also. They get to see the dogs environment and see in person what sets off his behavior problems. Is that option still open for you?
Yes, the option of a home trainer is still open. Thank you so kindly for all your wonderful advice.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #1169
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfranca View Post
This is Jack, our four year old, Mexican born boxer...Any suggestion?
I'm sorry I cannot suggest any dog training tips. I just hopped in here to tell you that Jack is a very handsome dog! Good luck with getting him to obey. I haven't had any success with my husband yet...
Old 07-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #1170
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm sorry I cannot suggest any dog training tips. I just hopped in here to tell you that Jack is a very handsome dog! Good luck with getting him to obey. I haven't had any success with my husband yet...

I hear ya, CG. Just when I thought all my dogs were on their best behavior, leash trained, etc., they quickly learned that DH would allow them a free-for-all.

We need a husband obedience school.

Tags
egg