"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-17-2015, 11:08 PM   #1171
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I think the issue is when Jack is being walked, and sees a cat, his natural instinct is to see it as prey and give chase. No amount of ignoring or treats is going to stop that instinct. A firm hand on the leash and a "stop", "no", or "leave it", maybe a treat if he quits pulling might help.

When a 23 lb beagle is strong enough to take me down, I can understand how difficult it would be to stop a 50-70 lb dog!
Come to think of it, Teddy will try to chase every squirrel he sees. Even if it is across the street. Spike has complete control on his leash. Of course it is much easier when you consider the size of Spike and that of Teddy. Teddy will never win. And I have to give Spike credit for training him starting when he was just eight weeks old. But you cannot train instinct out of any animal.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:20 PM   #1172
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I took care of a Saint Bernard for a while. Thank goodness he didn't try to pull me. It was a joy walking him after the huskies. Now imagine how much fun it was carrying home groceries on snowy sidewalks with a husky.

SBs usually are mellow and walkable, and aren't into bunnies and are usually good with cats, but huskies are used to pulling sleds! That must have been interesting.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:29 PM   #1173
Master Chef

Quote:
...We need a husband obedience school.
YES!!! Where do I sign, where do I sign...
Old 07-17-2015, 11:40 PM   #1174
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Come to think of it, Teddy will try to chase every squirrel he sees. Even if it is across the street. Spike has complete control on his leash. Of course it is much easier when you consider the size of Spike and that of Teddy. Teddy will never win. And I have to give Spike credit for training him starting when he was just eight weeks old. But you cannot train instinct out of any animal.

Dogs all are bred for different things, and it's difficult to take them from what they're supposed to do. That's why labs and shepherds make great service dogs, beagles are great for sniffing out agricultural products at airports, and bedbugs (usually no bunnies for distraction), and the other working dogs like huskies all do their jobs so well. Beagle would make a horrid seeing eye dog, I could just see her dragging her master down the street in pursuit of a rabbit.

Boxers are working dogs, and it would be hard for them to accept outdoor cats, as they see them as prey. If raised with their own personal cat as a puppy, usually they'll do fine. Otherwise, leashes. And strong owners.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:42 PM   #1175
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
YES!!! Where do I sign, where do I sign...

I was going to ask you...
Old 07-18-2015, 03:30 AM   #1176
Master Chef

Dawg, we need to start a school! We could be rich!
Old 07-18-2015, 03:30 AM   #1177
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
SBs usually are mellow and walkable, and aren't into bunnies and are usually good with cats, but huskies are used to pulling sleds! That must have been interesting.
Sasha was fine as long as I didn't get distracted, like balancing grocery bags. The instant I got distracted, she knew, and off she'd go. It was more fun when the sidewalks were slippery.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:35 AM   #1178
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That reminds me of this:

Old 07-18-2015, 05:50 AM   #1179
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That reminds me of this:

Old 07-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #1180
Master Chef

We've reached a milestone today. We actually had Abbie and Salem in the same room! Abbie basically ignored the cat as long as I was in the room and Salem stayed calmly sitting on top of the tall dresser and not scurrying under the bed. Later this morning, I was downstairs reading the paper and I heard Abbie head upstairs to the bedroom where she began barking at the cat who again sat calmly on top of the dresser. This may actually work! I've worried all week about the 2 of them getting along.

Tags
egg