"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #1341
Certified Cake Maniac

We had a scare a couple of weeks ago with Monkey. She wasn't eating, was hiding and sleeping all the time, so not like our little brat cat. I took her to the Vet, and he said her white cell count was out so he did some follow-up tests for Feline Leukemia and FIV (Feline Aids). The "snap test" showed positive for FIV. This meant her immune system was totally compromised, and she would have to be an indoor cat from now on. There was a whole list of things to do/not do to give her a fairly normal life. We paid an extra $115 to have another test done at the lab. The first one can give a false positive but the second one is conclusive. It took over a week of dealing with Monkey not able to go outside, getting her medicine into her, making sure she ate and drank before the phone rang and the vet tech was on the other line. At that very moment, Monkey was driving me crazy wanting out. When the tech said the test was definitely negative, I threw the back door open and let her go!

So she had an infection, but the antibiotic worked to fix it. We still have to watch her for any symptoms but on the whole, she comes and goes as she pleases. She has all her outdoor shots, so that is a relief.

Violet is showing her age (12). She will be outside the room you are in and howl/whine because she is all alone. Her back end is losing the muscle tone that has been holding her hip joints together all these years. I take her for a second walk (TB takes her in the mornings) in the afternoon/early evening just to get both of our bodies moving more. We are positive she is going deaf and maybe a little blind as well. It is heartbreaking to see her like this because she is so special.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #1342
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our pets

The Beagle has landed. She's really groggy, and not at all hungry, but she's home. The clinic told me she's their favorite beagle, never a complaint from her. Broken tooth root extraction and tumor removal both went smoothly. They'll send the tumor samples in for analysis. My poor baby is just exhausted!

Glad things worked out for you and Monkey, LP!

Old 08-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #1343
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
The Beagle has landed. She's really groggy, and not at all hungry, but she's home. The clinic told me she's their favorite beagle, never a complaint from her. Broken tooth root extraction and tumor removal both went smoothly. They'll send the tumor samples in for analysis. My poor baby is just exhausted!

Glad things worked out for you and Monkey, LP!
What a Good Beagle Boy! How is Beagle's Mommy doing though?
Old 08-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #1344
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What a Good Beagle Boy! How is Beagle's Mommy doing though?

DH and I didn't like the idea of bringing our little girl in, but she seems to be fine now after a post-op nap. No appetite yet. She did go to one of her favorite windows to peruse her kingdom.

I'm keeping a close eye on her.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #1345
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
...he said her white cell count was out so he did some follow-up tests for Feline Leukemia and FIV (Feline Aids). The "snap test" showed positive for FIV... We paid an extra $115 to have another test done at the lab. The first one can give a false positive ...When the tech said the test was definitely negative, I threw the back door open and let her go...
Glad to hear that Monkey doesn't have feline leukemia, but sad at your news regarding Violet. It's hard to see pets and humans age less than gracefully. I hope you and TB still have good times with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
The Beagle has landed...
Yay, Beagle! Before you know it, she'll be running around driving you nuts again. I hope the tissue tests come back clean.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #1346
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Glad to hear that Monkey doesn't have feline leukemia, but sad at your news regarding Violet. It's hard to see pets and humans age less than gracefully. I hope you and TB still have good times with her.

Yay, Beagle! Before you know it, she'll be running around driving you nuts again. I hope the tissue tests come back clean.
I have always thought of Beagle being a male. My apologies.
And one for Beagle.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #1347
Master Chef

Addie, shouldn't you be apologizing to Beagle? Or at least to her slave-and-mistress Dawg.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:56 PM   #1348
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie, shouldn't you be apologizing to Beagle? Or at least to her slave-and-mistress Dawg.
Oh dear. I seem to be getting in deeper and deeper. I am so sorry Beagle. I hope you feel like yourself tomorrow. And go easy on your slave. She really loves you from head to toe.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #1349
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Oh dear. I seem to be getting in deeper and deeper. I am so sorry Beagle. I hope you feel like yourself tomorrow. And go easy on your slave. She really loves you from head to toe.

Beagle forgives you, Addie. She appreciates all the well wishes.

She ate a bit of soft food, and is resting comfortably. I'll give her a pain pill shortly, though she doesn't seem to be in pain. I don't think I'll put her through something like this again, she's getting too old.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #1350
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Welcome home Beagle, soon you'll be chasing Bunnies.

Tags
egg