"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #1351
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Welcome home Beagle, soon you'll be chasing Bunnies.

Thanks PF, she already is! Beagle's resilliance is unbelievable. She hops up into her couches, we took her for half a long walk today, and she definitely likes her soft lamb and rice food as it comes with gravy. Her incision doesn't seem to bother her at all, despite it having industrial-looking staples. I'm giving her the Rimadil pain pills as instructed, but I'm not sure she needs them, other than they're beef flavored and she likes the taste.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #1352
Master Chef

As long as she's active, I wouldn't worry about the pain med, Dawg. When LittleBit was on them she was very lethargic. To the point of not eating lethargic, and she needed her nutrition, too. I ended up weaning her off of them before the supply was used up.

Watch that incision. Our niece's Weinheimer just had surgery and has had to go back to the vet twice because she keeps popping the staples. Then again, even on her best day, Beagle probably still can't be anywhere near as energetic as one of our niece's Weims.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #1353
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I hear ya on the staples, CG. We now have a Franken-beagle. Those staples are ugly, and I would think they would hurt. But they're in a low-action area, so don't seem to bother her.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:59 AM   #1354
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Beagle forgives you, Addie. She appreciates all the well wishes.

She ate a bit of soft food, and is resting comfortably. I'll give her a pain pill shortly, though she doesn't seem to be in pain. I don't think I'll put her through something like this again, she's getting too old.
I am glad Beagle forgives me. I hate to even think of "that" day Dawg.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:47 AM   #1355
Head Chef

Glad to hear Beagle is doing well.

They apparently just do not feel pain like we do. When my Dad's cat had the ktitens, 2+ years now, it was decided to get mama cat fixed ASAP so we waited until all but 1 of the kittens were more or less weaned. we had 1 problem kitten that didn't want to stop nursing, my Mindy, but off mama went anyway to the vet for an overnight visit. As soon as she got back, Mindy went back to nursing; in fact, they all did for a couple of times, mama being gone was traumatic for the kittens, and mama didn't appear to be bothered at all by the kneading on her belly while they were nursing. Don't know about the rest of you ladies that have had a hysterectomy or gents witih some kind of abdominal surgery, but I sure didn't want anybody kneading on my belly after mine or bouncing off of it like they did once they got her to play with them.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:05 AM   #1356
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Glad to hear Beagle is doing well.

They apparently just do not feel pain like we do. When my Dad's cat had the ktitens, 2+ years now, it was decided to get mama cat fixed ASAP so we waited until all but 1 of the kittens were more or less weaned. we had 1 problem kitten that didn't want to stop nursing, my Mindy, but off mama went anyway to the vet for an overnight visit. As soon as she got back, Mindy went back to nursing; in fact, they all did for a couple of times, mama being gone was traumatic for the kittens, and mama didn't appear to be bothered at all by the kneading on her belly while they were nursing. Don't know about the rest of you ladies that have had a hysterectomy or gents witih some kind of abdominal surgery, but I sure didn't want anybody kneading on my belly after mine or bouncing off of it like they did once they got her to play with them.
It just hurts my sensibilities to even think of someone touching my tummy after my hysterectomy. And coughing? Don't even mention that. Pillow or no pillow.

When I worked at the old hospital in Revere, if I had no babies in the nursery, I would go on the floor. The day after their surgery, we wanted to get the patients up as soon as possible. Or for any abdominal surgery. I always made it a point to work with the male patients. I would go in, with a cheery "Good Morning" I would throw back the blankets before they could grab them. "Time to get up!" Being male and in very short hospital gowns, they didn't know whether to try and reach the blanket or cover themselves with their hands. Then I would always get the "Are you crazy? I just had life threatening surgery yesterday!" I gave them a choice. Either work with me and get up now, or I will bounce and shake your bed every time I pass it. They got the picture real quick. We started with a ten minute leg dangle and then a very gentle slide off the edge of the bed. Stand there for a few minutes and then try to take a few steps. Each try showed improvement with more and more steps. This was practiced several times throughout the shift. By the next day they were ready and eager to go home. (Probably to get away from that mean lady.) And I was back in my newborn nursery.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:28 AM   #1357
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

In this day and time that approach would be shot down in two seconds...
Old 08-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #1358
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
In this day and time that approach would be shot down in two seconds...
I agree with you. When I had my gastro surgery, I didn't get out of bed for the first ten days. It took me a loooong time to heal. I ended up with complications.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #1359
Certified Cake Maniac

Dawg, the big bummer about not being here very often is that I miss out on things. I reported about my fur-kid woes but totally missed what you are going through with Beagle. I am glad she is doing "okay" and send hugs and love to both of you.

And thanks to all who have given good wishes for Violet and Monkey. It looks like we will be taking Violet to the vet tomorrow. I was up with kidney stone pain last night and heard her whimpering in her sleep. This morning she didn't eat and her back end is buckling more than ever.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #1360
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our pets

Thanks, LP. Oh dear, poor Violet. Hope they can do something to help her.

And sure hope you can get rid of that kidney stone! From what I understand, the pain is horrible.

Tags
egg