"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-24-2016, 03:44 AM   #1371
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Beagle got to eat a part of a formerly live mole...DH was horrified, thinking she'd get sick...
Horrified thinking she would get sick? Or horrified because he saw that she had eaten half of a mole?

I think if you can't find rubber snakes to pack into DH's lunch, perhaps you can find a stuffed mole doll.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 AM   #1372
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

or any random stuffed animal that looks chewed in half...

Old 08-24-2016, 06:12 AM   #1373
Head Chef

We have curlytailed lizards Curlytail Lizard - Florida eco travel guide where we live now. They seem to be fairly smart for lizards and quickly learn whether or not you are a friend. A friend of ours who used to live further east had them trained to come up to the large white box God (his fridge) and gather around it at feeding time. It was so funny, a bunch of them would gather right in front of his fridge and just stare up at it like they were worshiping it. He kept his house open most of the time, real laid back guy.

Craig has been buying mealworms and feeding them, has 1 that runs right up to him. In fact, he has to be careful if he's out grilling because she (we think) will get underfoot. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets her to take from his hand soon. She's about 7-8 inches with an uncurled tail. Anyway, she sits outside and waits for him to come out and feed her. He's also been feeding the anole that's out there and even it is getting pretty brave about being close to people. Only thing is that's the way we take the dogs out too and the lizards are getting way too brave and I'm afraid we are going to have a "mole" incident with the lizards, especially the curlytail because she's big enough for the pugs to notice (and she's getting fat and sassy with all the mealworms she's getting) and they go running for her. Thought Strider had her for sure the other day but she managed to scuttle away just in time.

I'd have been horrified too about the mole, both for the eating it and for what eating it might do to Beagle. But glad she's feeling better enough to go mole hunting.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #1374
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Beagle appreciates all the congrats. She's quite proud of herself.

Sounds like you've got quite the lizard circus there, Med!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #1375
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Beagle appreciates all the congrats. She's quite proud of herself.

Sounds like you've got quite the lizard circus there, Med!
Ha! The southern part of Florida, coast to coast, has quite the breeding populations of exotic lizards. Iguanas are everywhere. Good thing they are vegetarians. Then there are the omnivorous tegus and carnivorous Nile monitors. Thank you so much hurricane Andrew.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #1376
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Ha! The southern part of Florida, coast to coast, has quite the breeding populations of exotic lizards. Iguanas are everywhere. Good thing they are vegetarians. Then there are the omnivorous tegus and carnivorous Nile monitors. Thank you so much hurricane Andrew.
You mean sort of like this guy that strolled by our safari jeep in Botswana? He was at least 6 feet long

Old 08-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #1377
Master Chef

I freely admit to being a reptile weenie, although I like those with a shell. When I saw those curly tail lizards running in packs I freaked out Med! Groan, the stuff of my nightmares!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #1378
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I freely admit to being a reptile weenie, although I like those with a shell. When I saw those curly tail lizards running in packs I freaked out Med! Groan, the stuff of my nightmares!!

Oh, c'mon now, Kay! They're cute! Sure hope they're not feasting on the native FL anoles. Komodo dragons and other monitor lizards, not so cute.

I love the little geckos we see when we're in the tropics, they're good house guests. Iguanas all over down there too, some in beautiful colors, it might have been Caymen where we saw the most brilliant blue iguanas.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #1379
Chef Extraordinaire

We have skinks living under the raised bed next to the patio. One of our cats caught one last weekend. They shed their tails to get away. DH went to take it from the cat and suddenly had nothing but a squirming tail in his hand He thought it was cool

Old 08-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #1380
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Is that one of your resident skinks, GG? Beautiful!

Tags
egg