"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #1551
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
HIPAA...Hooray!

Old 02-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #1552
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was a legal secretary for three lawyers, one paralegal, it was never discussed. I guess I just understood from day one, that I was bound by the same rules of confidentiality as those who held a license. When I left, I left behind my notes in shorthand for them to destroy as they saw fit.

A couple of years later I got a call from a Federal Prosecutor if I would be willing to come in and transcribe my notes. "Sorry, no. Those notes are protected by the same Confidentiality Laws as their lawyer." I never heard from them again. So I have to guess I had it right from the very beginning.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #1553
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I was a legal secretary for three lawyers, one paralegal, it was never discussed. I guess I just understood from day one, that I was bound by the same rules of confidentiality as those who held a license. When I left, I left behind my notes in shorthand for them to destroy as they saw fit.

A couple of years later I got a call from a Federal Prosecutor if I would be willing to come in and transcribe my notes. "Sorry, no. Those notes are protected by the same Confidentiality Laws as their lawyer." I never heard from them again. So I have to guess I had it right from the very beginning.
Lots of things have changed since your day Addie. Things have changed greatly since I first started. It's now called "cover your heinie" in everything that you do. I didn't have to sign a confidentially/nondisclosure document until about 10 years ago and it only keeps getting worse each year.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #1554
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's my best testing subject...
Old 02-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #1555
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I didn't have to sign a confidentially/nondisclosure document until about 10 years ago and it only keeps getting worse each year.
I would never do this, but someone could sign such an agreement with a fictional name, and they wouldn't notice. I've heard that it has been done successfully, from a friend who knows a guy who's sister does it.

CD
Old 02-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #1556
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I would never do this, but someone could sign such an agreement with a fictional name, and they wouldn't notice. I've heard that it has been done successfully, from a friend who knows a guy who's sister does it.

CD
I wouldn't risk it. The penalty for knowingly violating the HIPAA law varies from a fine of several thousand dollars and a year in prison to over a million dollars and up to 10 years in prison. Stupid to do that to avoid an hour or so of watching videos and taking a simple test.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #1557
Executive Chef

Quote:
I wouldn't risk it. The penalty for knowingly violating the HIPAA law varies from a fine of several thousand dollars and a year in prison to over a million dollars and up to 10 years in prison. Stupid to do that to avoid an hour or so of watching videos and taking a simple test.
The sister of the guy my friend knows is not subject to HIPAA laws. She just gets asked to sign vague and stupid confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements from time to time.

CD
Old 02-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #1558
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The sister of the guy my friend knows is not subject to HIPAA laws. She just gets asked to sign vague and stupid confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements from time to time.

CD
That's what medtran was talking about and since you quoted her statement, well... I'm sure you can understand my confusion
Old 02-20-2017, 06:45 PM   #1559
Executive Chef

Quote:
That's what medtran was talking about and since you quoted her statement, well... I'm sure you can understand my confusion
I'm confused most of the time. That's normal, isn't it?

CD
Old 02-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #1560
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'm confused most of the time. That's normal, isn't it?

CD
I try not to be confused a lot. It makes me crazy 😜