Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a white Pekingese (my favorite breed) dog, her name was Doobie. Cutest lil dog ever. I hope to acquire another Pekingese.
They have breed rescues. You ought to look online and see if there are any anywhere close to you. I'm guessing these are one of the breeds they rescue from some puppy mills sometimes. They are very cute!

Little Miss Arwen just cost us $100 for the vet over something unexplained that righted itself almost completely by the time the vet could see her this morning. She started coughing yesterday, hacking horrible cough then gagging. By late afternoon she was having an episode about every 15-20 minutes. Craig went to bed shortly after midnight and took her hoping she would settle down and stop coughing. Nope, it got worse. He got back up and I checked her mouth to make sure she didn't have anything wrapped around her tongue, she's a scarfer and will eat just about anything, but nope, I couldn't feel anything. Ended up mixing up some honey water and gave her a benadryl. She settled down after a few minutes.

She woke us up around 6 this morning hacking and gagging again. More honey water and another Benadryl. Made some really soupy rice with chicken broth for her breakfast so it could cool. Called the vet when they opened at 8 and got an appointment since they are only open a half day on Saturday. We stayed in bed for a while longer. Finally got up, pugs went out to potty, then ate their breakfast. Arwen was coughing on and off by then, but no where near as bad as Friday and early a.m. hours of today. She gobbled her soupy rice down and settled down for her post breakfast nap with hardly any coughing.

About 30 minutes before we needed to leave we were debating about canceling since they had to work us in, but then she had another episode so off we went. She coughed once in the car and then NOT ONCE in the vet's office. He listened to her lungs and heart as best he could. It's hard to hear given how pugs breathe with their squished noses and didn't hear anything, then examined her twice at different times to see if her trachea was collapsing, that's a thing with a lot of pugs, but even that didn't initiate a coughing fit.

So, we left $100 lighter in the pocketbook with antibiotics and cough meds as preventive so she doesn't develop pneumonia or bronchitis with all the coughing and gagging, and instructions to come back if she gets worse or anything else starts. The little toot has coughed about 6 or 7 times now in almost 8 hours, and that was when she was running around excited about getting home, going potty, and getting her dinner type things.

They have breed rescues. You ought to look online and see if there are any anywhere close to you. I'm guessing these are one of the breeds they rescue from some puppy mills sometimes. They are very cute!

My mom's last two dogs came from Poodle Rescue of Houston. My mom gives them a lot of money, too. My mom likes small, white poodles... and seems to prefer stupid ones. :rolleyes: I'm learning this the hard way now that I've taken mom's current dog in (mom can't keep her anymore).

This dog is always hungry, and will eat anything that looks remotely like it might be food. I have to keep a close eye on my floors to make sure she doesn't eat something I may have dropped. Big problem now is that she seems to like acorns, and I have a 50 foot oak tree in my backyard. There is no possible way to clean up the thousands of acorns this tree produces, so she eats them, gets sick (from both ends) -- always on the Berber carpet, never on hard surfaces.

On the funny side, she never learned how stairs work. She is physically big enough to go up and down stairs, but doesn't know how, and I haven't had any luck teaching her. So, when I go upstairs to my office, she lays at the bottom of the stairs and waits for me to come down. :ROFLMAO:

CD

@caseydog have you come with a nickname for Mom's Little Miss?

I don't know if I should say. Oh well, Teddy was nicknamed Psycho-poodle, so I nicknamed Trixie Fatty-poodle -- she's rather round from too many treats and not enough exercise before she came to live with me. Stinky-poodle would work, too, but be even meaner. She has a flatulance problem, and terrible breath. Her teeth are bad from aforementioned treats and eating canned dogfood (that has changed drastically). Her toots can send me running outside for fresh air.

CD

Little Miss Arwen just cost us $100 for the vet over something unexplained that righted itself almost completely by the time the vet could see her this morning. She started coughing yesterday, hacking horrible cough then gagging. By late afternoon she was having an episode about every 15-20 minutes. Craig went to bed shortly after midnight and took her hoping she would settle down and stop coughing. Nope, it got worse. He got back up and I checked her mouth to make sure she didn't have anything wrapped around her tongue, she's a scarfer and will eat just about anything, but nope, I couldn't feel anything. Ended up mixing up some honey water and gave her a benadryl. She settled down after a few minutes.

She woke us up around 6 this morning hacking and gagging again. More honey water and another Benadryl. Made some really soupy rice with chicken broth for her breakfast so it could cool. Called the vet when they opened at 8 and got an appointment since they are only open a half day on Saturday. We stayed in bed for a while longer. Finally got up, pugs went out to potty, then ate their breakfast. Arwen was coughing on and off by then, but no where near as bad as Friday and early a.m. hours of today. She gobbled her soupy rice down and settled down for her post breakfast nap with hardly any coughing.

About 30 minutes before we needed to leave we were debating about canceling since they had to work us in, but then she had another episode so off we went. She coughed once in the car and then NOT ONCE in the vet's office. He listened to her lungs and heart as best he could. It's hard to hear given how pugs breathe with their squished noses and didn't hear anything, then examined her twice at different times to see if her trachea was collapsing, that's a thing with a lot of pugs, but even that didn't initiate a coughing fit.

So, we left $100 lighter in the pocketbook with antibiotics and cough meds as preventive so she doesn't develop pneumonia or bronchitis with all the coughing and gagging, and instructions to come back if she gets worse or anything else starts. The little toot has coughed about 6 or 7 times now in almost 8 hours, and that was when she was running around excited about getting home, going potty, and getting her dinner type things.
Dogs are notorious for not acting sick at the vet.

My mom's last two dogs came from Poodle Rescue of Houston. My mom gives them a lot of money, too. My mom likes small, white poodles... and seems to prefer stupid ones. :rolleyes: I'm learning this the hard way now that I've taken mom's current dog in (mom can't keep her anymore).

This dog is always hungry, and will eat anything that looks remotely like it might be food. I have to keep a close eye on my floors to make sure she doesn't eat something I may have dropped. Big problem now is that she seems to like acorns, and I have a 50 foot oak tree in my backyard. There is no possible way to clean up the thousands of acorns this tree produces, so she eats them, gets sick (from both ends) -- always on the Berber carpet, never on hard surfaces.

On the funny side, she never learned how stairs work. She is physically big enough to go up and down stairs, but doesn't know how, and I haven't had any luck teaching her. So, when I go upstairs to my office, she lays at the bottom of the stairs and waits for me to come down. :ROFLMAO:

CD
Constant hunger MAY be a sign of Cushing disease. Have you mentioned this to your vet?

@Silversage I did not know that dogs could have Cushing!!
@caseydog is Trixie going to be seeing a doggie-dentist? I took Vito Boy about every other year.

Mom didn't wan to have Trixie under anesthesia, so never had her teeth cleaned -- or had some growths removed that really need to go. I plan to have it all done at one time in the near future.

CD

Back
Top Bottom