Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, sadly...our sweet Harley went over the rainbow bridge this morning.

We rescued her from our local shelter when she was just a pup. She was on death row there because the shelter was ultra-full. She had a week, then...it was the green mile.

We had recently lost our dog, Sadie, of many years, but I received a phone call from Glenn, who was supposed to be running errands, with a comment, "What do you think about having another dog?"

What was I going to say? Yep, and we were the human parents to Harley, a name she was given at the shelter and, surprisingly so, we rode an Harley-Davidson motorcycle at the time...there are no accidents in this world and none on our bike either.

We had her for 14 years, until this morning. She had been suffering from arthritis and a few other health issues, but this morning it was clear she needed some relief.

We took her to our vet who confirmed the worst, so we had her put down. No doubt it was difficult, but we saw her comfortable and relaxed, which gave us some relief.

The 20-mile drive home was nothing short of silent and tearful.

Glenn dug her grave with the tractor. She is/was, oops, a big dog and we are grateful to have had her for our 14 years.

We love you Harley-Mcfarley, Buttercup and all the other names we have bestowed upon you!!
I'm so sorry for your loss, Katie. We lost our sweet kitty Bella last month. It's so hard to say goodbye to our furry family members. Hugs.

Well, sadly...our sweet Harley went over the rainbow bridge this morning.

We rescued her from our local shelter when she was just a pup. She was on death row there because the shelter was ultra-full. She had a week, then...it was the green mile.

We had recently lost our dog, Sadie, of many years, but I received a phone call from Glenn, who was supposed to be running errands, with a comment, "What do you think about having another dog?"

What was I going to say? Yep, and we were the human parents to Harley, a name she was given at the shelter and, surprisingly so, we rode an Harley-Davidson motorcycle at the time...there are no accidents in this world and none on our bike either.

We had her for 14 years, until this morning. She had been suffering from arthritis and a few other health issues, but this morning it was clear she needed some relief.

We took her to our vet who confirmed the worst, so we had her put down. No doubt it was difficult, but we saw her comfortable and relaxed, which gave us some relief.

The 20-mile drive home was nothing short of silent and tearful.

Glenn dug her grave with the tractor. She is/was, oops, a big dog and we are grateful to have had her for our 14 years.

We love you Harley-Mcfarley, Buttercup and all the other names we have bestowed upon you!!
She had a great life with you. She will always be with you in spirit. 💔❤️

Looks a little like my mom's dog, who now lives with me. I don't have a good face photo, but they look very similar in the face.

1712521918079.jpeg

CD

Update on our Harley.

We have used Chewy to purchase food, treats, etc. from them. Couldn't say enough good things about them.

So...today when arrived home from our weekly grocery shopping trip, there was a FedEx box with our name on it. What was it?

It was a bouquet of a dozen fresh roses from Chewy expressing their sympathy at our loss of Harley. They were called Heart of Gold, which described Harley perfectly.

Needless to say, it brought me to tears.

Yesterday, we lost Jezebel. One very cold night, Frank was smoking a pork shoulder for Thanksgiving. To stay awake, he walked about to the front of the house where he saw something moving under his car. As he got closer, he saw ears and eyes with a little nose. He reached out and the small kitty backed away. So he waited and it came out a bit again. When he held his hand out this time, it leapt and attached to his chest where it started to purr. Frank smelled of BBQ and the cat was starving as well as freezing. She had been eating leaves. He brought her to the patio where it was warmer and fed her. Long story short, she charmed her way into both of our hearts. She knew we had another kitty but did not care if she wrecked its home, so: Jezebel. We also shortly discovered that Jez only liked men. It did not matter if they were 8 or 80. She liked men and tolerated me when none were around.

Jez was a fighter in the area of survival. She survived Nikita (our other cat) and she survived MinaBean (who passed in September. She beat cancer twice when vets told us they had never seen another animal beat that type of cancer. She was always feisty and bold. We would tell her, "There are old kitties and bold kitties, but there are NO old, bold kitties." She ignored this and years passed.

Earlier this year, we had to take her to the cat ER for a huge abscess. It started small but nearly covered the bottom of her chin when the vet went in to drain it. She had experienced abscesses before so we were not terribly worried. She started to heal. We went to Alaska and left her in the care of good friends. A few days after we left, she stopped eating. Our friends took her to the vet who found she had a growth on her cheek which ended up a tumor that was in her bone.

She was not in pain, so we dd steroids and brought her home. It is a fast growing cancer. She remained feisty and bold. On Friday, she only ate half her food and was slurping down water. By Sunday, she showed little interest in food - including her favorite treats, but still drank water. We knew that she was hungry and we were unwilling to let her suffer. We took her to the vet on Monday and he noted the growth was pressing into her mouth. She was also developing some breathing issues. We made the decision that we had to let her go.

At 12:30 on Monday, our 18 year old kitty was sedated. As in keeping with her old, bold reputation, she laid like a ragdoll and hissed as best she could at the vet while he injected her so she could cross the Rainbow Bridge. I've never known anything or anyone who fought so hard to survive and we miss her so much. For the first time in over 20 years, we have no pets. I really hope the thoughts written in the poem Rainbow Bridge are true.

A few photos of Jezebel who sincerely used all nine lives and may have borrowed one or two.

Jezebel enjoying the views in Chicago.

Jez in chi.JPG

Jezebel when she was admiring her favorite human (Frank.)

Jez.jpg

Jezebel on Sunday in her favorite place to judge us.

20240421_153446.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear that Jez has gone ahead to rainbow bridge. Clearly she lived a good, long life. She was well loved and returned that love too. No matter how long they are with us, it is never long enough. Let the good memories comfort you, until you meet again. There will be a joyous reunion, one day.

Hugs

Back
Top Bottom