Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So sorry about Smudge, PF. Must the meds be of the injectable variety?

Only way to get insulin. We've tried everything to get her the shots, but she's having none of it. All we can do is make sure she is happy and loved. Sometimes there is no cure, diabetes in a cat is not fun.

I missed the information on Smudge. So sorry, PF.
You should know better though. She needs the shot.

I missed the information on Smudge. So sorry, PF.
You should know better though. She needs the shot.

I know it, Shrek knows it, the vet knows it...try to convince her. I have scratches all over, Shrek is covered with scratches and like I said, she was starting to hide from us. Now she is content and I am not going to force it on her anymore.

I know it, Shrek knows it, the vet knows it...try to convince her. I have scratches all over, Shrek is covered with scratches and like I said, she was starting to hide from us. Now she is content and I am not going to force it on her anymore.
Poor Smudge. I guess quality of life can be more important than length of life. If she gets really debilitated, she might be willing to be injected.

Don't you guys think I've already done what I could to keep her healthy? Please stop making me doubt our decision to let her at least die happy. It's hard enough dealing with this grief without having to keep explaining our decision over and over. It sucks, life sucks and death certainly sucks.

Poor Smudge. I guess quality of life can be more important than length of life. If she gets really debilitated, she might be willing to be injected.

I agree, Taxy, there comes a time. Why should she be miserable?

Don't you guys think I've already done what I could to keep her healthy? Please stop making me doubt our decision to let her at least die happy. It's hard enough dealing with this grief without having to keep explaining our decision over and over. It sucks, life sucks and death certainly sucks.

Absolutely! Smudge is happy now, I would definitely do what you are doing if/when Beagle gets to that point. As Taxy pointed out, quality is more important than quantity.

PF, I am so sorry to hear about Smudge. I know how much she is loved by you and Shrek.

I also know the double-sided frustration of an animal not wanting to take medication it needs to live. Violet sometimes will pick her tramadol out of anything we put it in. On days like that I give up, knowing she will be in pain, but the agony of trying to give it to her is worse. We know our time with her is growing shorter, and we do what we can and most of all we love her.

I respect your decision and I know Smudge does too.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Smudge, Fiona, Shrek}}}}}}}}}}}}

About half an hour ago Shreddy decided he wanted to go outside, in the dark, in the rain. Earlier today he looked out the open door, sniffed, and decided not to go outside.

Sorry about the awful pic quality, but it is dark out. You can sort of see the daffodils that opened up today.

Attachments

• 20140426_211943.jpg
    20140426_211943.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 141
  • 20140426_212300.jpg
    20140426_212300.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 20140426_212326.jpg
    20140426_212326.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 153
About half an hour ago Shreddy decided he wanted to go outside, in the dark, in the rain. Earlier today he looked out the open door, sniffed, and decided not to go outside.

Sorry about the awful pic quality, but it is dark out. You can sort of see the daffodils that opened up today.

Tell Shreddy that I am very impressed! A cat wanting to go out in the rain, whodathunkit? So happy he's feeling better!

Tell Shreddy that I am very impressed! A cat wanting to go out in the rain, whodathunkit? So happy he's feeling better!
Will do. I'm impressed too. He walked through puddles without so much as shaking his foot. Okay, it's not raining hard, but still.

I have to use a nebulizer mask right now a couple of times a day to help with breathing while I have bronchitis. They don't want it turning into pneumonia as has happened before.

I put the mask on in the living room as I always do, while watching a movie and crocheting. Monkey was on the carpet in front of me, staring at me. I thought it was the mask, when she jumped up on the arm of the chair. She went across to the other side (my right, which is the hand I use for the crochet hook). All of a sudden she lifted her paw and batted the crochet hook out of my hand. It scared the daylights out of me. She has watched me work since we got her and is more interested in the wool than the hook.

TB was sure it was the mask, but she kept batting the hook. I turned off the machine and took off the mask, picked up the hook and she didn't pay any attention to it at all. So it must have been the mask, but why take it out on the poor hook! ;)

I have very strange pets! :wacko:

Last edited:
Only way to get insulin. We've tried everything to get her the shots, but she's having none of it. All we can do is make sure she is happy and loved. Sometimes there is no cure, diabetes in a cat is not fun.
PF, so sorry to hear that Smudge is sick and being a bit of a pill about her shots. Hang in there - I'm sure Smudge knows you love her no matter how she is.

BTW, my SIL's male cat is also diabetic. Until the cat got used to getting shots my BIL had to hold him down. It got so bad that my BIL bought raptor-handling gloves to keep his hands and arms scratch-free!

I'm sorry you're having to go through this, PF. It's very hard, I know. We lost our 18-year-old cat and 14-year-old black Lab within a few weeks of each other last winter. We made the same decision - to keep them as comfortable as possible and give them lots of loving attention. Hugs to all of you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom