"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #211
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
One time I dated a man that trained Doberman dogs for security. They started out as puppies living with the family. As their training progressed, they still lived with his family, but when he took them out of the house they stayed on a leash all the time. One time we went out dancing and he had the dog with him. He couldn't leave him in the car. When we got up to dance, one arm around me and the other holding the leash. One dance was enough. We both decided to wait another day when he didn't have the dog with him.
To paraphrase the late ex-Princess of Wales "There were three of you in that relationship"!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #212
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
To paraphrase the late ex-Princess of Wales "There were three of you in that relationship"!
Touche.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #213
Executive Chef

A young woman in our area put her newborn in his carrier and set it on the floor while she went to the bathroom. She had 2 dogs, a Pit Bull and a Husky. The Husky mauled and killed the child. Strangely, she fought to have the dog returned to her. She said she lost her child, don't take her dog away, too. The dog was eventually euthenized by the authorities.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #214
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I spoke with a midwife in Denmark. She worked out in the country and attended many home births. She said there is a way to keep dogs from becoming jealous of the new addition to the family.

You let the dog lick the babies feet, while the baby is still covered in goo from being born. That dog will protect that baby as if it were its own.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #215
Executive Chef

My niece had a dog that always slept beside her bed. When she got married, they lived in her parent's house, but the dog would not let her new husband get into bed with her. They had to put the dog in the basement before they went to bed. After they had a baby, the crib was in their bedroom, and from then on, the dog slept beside the crib.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #216
Executive Chef

Sorry for your loss, GG.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #217
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I spoke with a midwife in Denmark. She worked out in the country and attended many home births. She said there is a way to keep dogs from becoming jealous of the new addition to the family.

You let the dog lick the babies feet, while the baby is still covered in goo from being born. That dog will protect that baby as if it were its own.
That makes sense. Even domesticated farm animals if left to their own devices, will eat the afterbirth. And they lick the newborn all over.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #218
Certified Cake Maniac

We got our beloved Joie from friends who had a baby. Joie kept trying to get to the baby and ripped my friend's stitches in the process. They kept him in his crate (which they basically did anyway but that is another story) and decided that there wasn't room in their lives anymore for the dog.

I am glad for this, because we had 8 wonderful years with that little ball of fluff and my friend knew he had gone to a good home.

But seriously, I wouldn't have trusted him with babies. He was okay with children though. He was a bichon malt-poo.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #219
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Grandma had an old farm dog, he had been found sleeping around the smudge pots in the fields, hence the name Smudge. When my sister was born, that dog would not let anyone but Mom and Grandma near the baby. All her baby pictures had Smudge in them, too. When Dad got home from Korea, Smudge wouldn't let him near the baby for the first couple days, even though Dad was one of Smudge's best friends.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #220
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
(((Hugs GG))). I'm sorry to hear the sad news about Elwing. Was Elwing ill?
TL, I hadn't really thought about this for a while, but Elwing probably did have hyperthyroid disease. We took her to the vet last summer, and he said judging from her age, weight loss and heart rate, she probably had it. We decided not to have her tested and treated because she wasn't suffering and we didn't want to subject her to blood tests and pills at her age. With my own medical problems and costs, we couldn't justify the cost of the iodine treatment you got for Shreddy.

So we gave her the best life we could. We put a heaing pad under a blanket in a big basket on the floor so she had a warm place to sleep. We snuggled a lot and sat on the porch in the sun and she was very talkative DH is especially chatty with the pets in the morning and when he gets home from work. It cracks me up to listen to them

Thanks again for everyone's good thoughts. We have a lot of good memories.

Tags
egg