Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I go out for the mail, or even just to water the plants out the front door, Violet greets me when I come back in like I have been gone for weeks! It is the same celebration as when I am gone shopping or when TB comes home from work.

She wags her bum and tail, brings some toy or piece of cardboard or bone and just gets so excited!

There is not a single fuzzy mouse toy in sight, but if we go anywhere overnight, by the time we get back, every single one we have bought over the last 14 years shows up on the bed.

For some reason I can't figure out, my little Maltese is trying to howl. The first time I heard it was about a week or so ago. It sounded like a baby crying, but he's definately trying to howl. He has his head back with his snoot up in the air. Woo woo woo woo!! If I knew ahead of time he was going to do it I would try to get it on video.

For some reason I can't figure out, my little Maltese is trying to howl. The first time I heard it was about a week or so ago. It sounded like a baby crying, but he's definately trying to howl. He has his head back with his snoot up in the air. Woo woo woo woo!! If I knew ahead of time he was going to do it I would try to get it on video.

Spike has a Maltese also. Teddy is about three years old. He reads him pretty good. I will ask him if he ever does that. When does he seem to do it the most? I know Teddy will whimper if he is constipated. :angel:

I think he is just harking back to his wolf ancestry. :ermm: :LOL:

Well, after 10 years I still find new things about Violet.

She loves banana, but we rarely give her more than a tiny morsel because she gets rather "stinky" from it. She is allergic to grains and beef but loves her pasta so TB will always save a couple of his gluten free noodles to put in her food dish.

Today, I was cutting up a rather large watermelon and some dropped on the floor. She ran to it but I fully expected a sniff and she would walk away. No sir. She gobbled it down and sat on the edge of the kitchen entrance waiting for more to drop. She even licked up the juice that ran off the cutting board. When we went to put it away, she followed us to the fridge and looked longingly. Go figure!

This little dog is at least 12 years old. We got him when he was 5 and his owner passed away and the family was looking for a new home for him. I was still working, but DH was retired so the dog became so attached to DH. If we come home and I come up the stairs and DH stays down locking up the garage, Pupper will whine until DH comes up the stairs. The two time he has done this howling, DH was down in the garage. Pupper will not go down the cellar steps, but he will whine at the door for DH. I think this howling is just a form of more intense whining. LOL The first time he did it I thought the sound was coming from the TV. It wasn't until I saw his head thrown back that I realized he was trying to howl. It doesn't sound like the howling of the 2 beagles who live a couple door up the street. So far, it's not often to become annoying. Years ago we had another dog who would try to howl when the fire whistles went off up at the firehall.

LP, we had one dog who would stand in the kitchen while I was cooking and scarf up anything that fell on the floor...even if it wasn't food! LOL She would actually jump up and catch it mid-air.

This dog we have now eats very little people food. He cannot have meat, as it becomes a disaster for us.

Violet knows she is not allowed in the kitchen, so she stays on the edge of either side (we have a small galley style). When something drops she zooms in, decides if she wants it and zooms out again! It is actually hilarious to watch!

There are certain meats (ham but not bacon) that she can't have or we have a lot of cleaning up to do.

I have my daughter and granddaughter here for a while and Mojo is playing hide and seek again so Em doesn't get his tail.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Well, after 10 years I still find new things about Violet.

She loves banana, but we rarely give her more than a tiny morsel because she gets rather "stinky" from it. She is allergic to grains and beef but loves her pasta so TB will always save a couple of his gluten free noodles to put in her food dish.

Today, I was cutting up a rather large watermelon and some dropped on the floor. She ran to it but I fully expected a sniff and she would walk away. No sir. She gobbled it down and sat on the edge of the kitchen entrance waiting for more to drop. She even licked up the juice that ran off the cutting board. When we went to put it away, she followed us to the fridge and looked longingly. Go figure!
My old dog loved oranges. She would sit beside me when I was peeling an orange and drool copiously! If I squeezed the juice out of half an orange I sometimes gave her the remains and she would strip out the flesh and eat it, leaving a perfectly clean, undamaged skin.

Violet knows she is not allowed in the kitchen, so she stays on the edge of either side (we have a small galley style). When something drops she zooms in, decides if she wants it and zooms out again! It is actually hilarious to watch!

There are certain meats (ham but not bacon) that she can't have or we have a lot of cleaning up to do.

Mom had two cats that would lean over an invisible line that Mom had drawn. They would lean so far they would lose their balance and fall over it. You never saw two cats move so fast to get out of the kitchen.

Carol, Spike came by tonight and I asked him about the howling. The first thing he asked me was the dog's age. When I told him, he said it sounds like he may be getting ready to leave you. Twelve years old is rather up there in age for Maltese. I hope he is wrong. Ten years old is when their health starts to deteriorate.

I do know when he was looking for a puppy for his wife, he knew what he wanted in a dog and really did his research. He wanted a small dog, one that would have few inherited health problems, and wanted it to be able to live for quite a while. He knew Sandy would die before any dog he got for her did. His vet keeps telling him that he takes too good care of Teddy. He takes Teddy to the vet twice a year and makes sure he has all his questions written down when he goes there. And age expectancy is always up there on the list.

I remember when my BILs greyhound started howling. My sister thought the dog wanted to go outside. She opened the door for him to go out and instead he laid down right there on the floor and never was the same. He was unable to control his bodily functions. If he wasn't howling, he was whimpering. A week later my BIL took Tipper to the Animal Rescue League to be put down. It is the only time I ever saw him cry. Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news. Maybe your baby will be the exception and make everyone out to be liars. I hope so! :angel:

Oh dear, Addie! Maltese can live 18 or more years, as can many little dogs! Just because he's learned a new trick doesn't mean he's on his way out! My mom's crotchety old cocker lived to almost 20. And he was a world champion howler. And could still bite even at his advanced age, with the two teeth he had left.

Bigger dogs aren't so lucky.

Last edited:
Oh dear, Addie! Maltese can live 18 or more years, as can many little dogs! Just because he's learned a new trick doesn't mean he's on his way out! My mom's crotchety old cocker lived to almost 20. And he was a world champion howler. And could still bite even at his advanced age, with the two teeth he had left.

Bigger dogs aren't so lucky.
My old dog was quite happy to ignore my piano playing but howled to the moon when she heard a clarinet. It didn't matter whether it was Artie Shaw or Mozart. The weird thing was that she was usually in tune!

We had a Siberian husky who would howl. Sometimes she would sing along to music. We took care of a friend's husky and he would sing along to The Grateful Dead. He had a pretty voice, but we could never tell how his singing went with the music.

I call it singing, because these guys could really howl. But, when it was to music, it was in their soft voices.

My old blond cocker had a beautiful voice, and enjoyed singing along a capella. I haven't heard Beagle howl, she bays.

When I met DH he had a dog that was only allowed in the kitchen and the utility room off the kitchen. Nowhere there was carpet or furniture. You could have put a steak on the living room floor and that dog would sit at the doorway and cry, but would not step one foot in that room. When my brother came to visit, his son was deathly afraid of dogs. We told them the dog would not come into the living room and they were amazed to see that.

Back
Top Bottom