"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #461
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
So cute! Shreddy looks like a furry little mouse curled up in a next. Oh, don't tell Shreddy I said he looked like the enemy!
I won't tell him.

To Shreddy, mice are toys/food. He used to be quite the mouser.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #462
Certified Cake Maniac

That is an awesome picture, Taxy! He looks so content.

I was laughing at Monkey earlier. The TV was on and there was a scene with a budgie happily chirping in its cage. Monkey heard it, went to the TV and tried to jump in to the cage. She tried a second time, knowing the noise was coming from there and then when she failed ran to the window hoping to catch the bird there! She "watches" TV a lot, following the movements; however, this is the first time she actually went for it!

Violet is a great mouser. Yes, she is a dog, but she really doesn't know it and I don't have the heart to tell her. We cooked at a teen camp once and took her with us. There had been a fire at the location 2 years before and it was over-ridden with mice. At first the site manager didn't want Violet running loose, but when she started "playing" with the mice and killing them in the process, he was more than happy to have her around. I think she was around two then. She has caught her share around here too.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #463
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Aw, thanks LP.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #464
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I watched a YouTube video where a homeless mama dog led her rescuer to her puppies by his playing crying puppy noises on his cell phone. Beagle was enamoured, tilting her head and listening intently. When I first got her from the pound, she'd just had puppies, though none were at the pound.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #465
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

mewing kittens make the cats go nuts, I watch a lot of kitten videos.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #466
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
mewing kittens make the cats go nuts, I watch a lot of kitten videos.
For sure! Not only cats---- I had a Doberman bitch that had been spayed but about every six months she would have what I called a psuedo-heat. All the behavior things plus slightly swollen teats. I had a rubber hamburger bun toy that squeaked and when put up against her belly she would nuzzle it, it would squeak and she'd lick it and nuzzle some more. Poor thing, she really wanted to have puppies, I guess.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #467
Certified Cake Maniac

I almost lost it with Monkey tonight. I was so close to getting rid of her it was scary. She got out again and my friend, who was in the back yard grabbed Monkey who then clawed my friend on her chest, groin and leg. She was a mess. And she was helping out by power washing our patio. I felt so bad.

Monkey wants to be an outdoor cat and a) it isn't allowed here (even though many cats do run free) and b) it just isn't safe for so many reasons. So, we are left with the decision of finding her a home where she can be outside or, being super careful, to the point of putting her in a room or her crate when we are in and out. We love her and want what is best for her.

We do clip her claws and will have to do it more often, but that doesn't help the getting away and not wanting to be picked up.

She is just a kitten and I know that means she has a lot of energy, but I am disabled and chasing her or getting out of her way takes its toll.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #468
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Wish I was closer, LP, I would take her.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #469
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our pets

Oh dear, this is not good. So sorry, LP, we know how much you love Monkey!

She can't be bored, I know you have all sorts of toys for her. My inlaws used to tie their cat out on the porch with a cat harness, but he was older. We had a stray cat here that we gave to a friend, he was born to roam outside, and quite the escape artist, but he was older too.

Hmm. Maybe a pot of catnip or wheatgrass? She's young, and still impressionable, she shouldn't be dictating to you where she wants to be.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:12 AM   #470
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, PF, if I were to give her to anyone, you would be on my list. And I wish you were closer for many reasons.

Dawg, we have a leash that we attach to a long dog lead. I have a harness that I can't find. We are afraid of hooking it to her collar because if she jumps for the fence or crawls under the few spots TB needs to fix, she may strangle herself. I will be looking for that harness.

I had a cat named Sherbrooke who I walked every night on the boardwalk near my home at the time. He had a harness and lead and we would go out with my friend and her dog. People were amazed every time they saw us! He always new if he was outside he was on a leash or in my carry bag and was happy. The vet's office would see my bag and say "Hi Sherbie" and he would pop his head out. I would even take him to my parent's home and he would roam around with his leash and not try and go out of the yard.

Tags
egg