"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #531
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't know for sure. He seems to understand English.

But, the no name stuff didn't look as nice. It had a lot more coagulated white stuff (protein?) on the surface than the Clover Leaf salmon does.

I guess I'd have to agree with Shreddy, I wouldn't eat something with coagulated protein on top either, unless it's cheese. He and Latte have good taste.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #532
Certified Cake Maniac

Monkey is very fussy about the wet food I give her. If it has chicken or peas in it (heaven forbid both!) she will not go near the dish. If it has any kind of fish she won't even let me get the dish on her window sill (so Violet can't get it) before her head is in it.

Violet is still licking everything (meaning us, the furniture, the carpet, herself, etc.) and is still totally clingy to me but I think she is a bit better each day. I am still not convinced she isn't in pain, but don't want to needlessly put her on another medication if I don't have to. As it is, I have 1/2 a tramadol, two probiotic chewables, two diarrhea pills and half a large chewable glucosamine in three pieces to hide in her wet food twice a day plus in the evening 1 cc of meloxicam in a few ounces of chicken broth. The medicine the vet has suggested is gabapentin. I am on that and don't wish that my dog has to take it too.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #533
Head Chef

Quote:

But, the no name stuff didn't look as nice. It had a lot more coagulated white stuff (protein?) on the surface than the Clover Leaf salmon does.
What’s Really in Pet Food
Old 05-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #534
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That was my thought.

I want to know how Latte knows the difference between Fancy Feast and ProPlan...she won't touch the Fancy Feast.
Some cat/dog food might have spleen in it---- probably listed as a by-product that may change from batch to batch.

My dogs would eat almost anything---- especially if it were meat. But a bit of spleen introduced into a big serving of other meats----- No thanks!

I've read that spleen might bring on diarrhea in cats. I won't spend the time looking for that reference but people interested can.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #535
Head Chef

Quote:

That doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad for a cat. Cat's have a different idea of what 'looks nice' than humans. Or is edible, hence why they might eat their barf.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #536
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That was my thought.

I want to know how Latte knows the difference between Fancy Feast and ProPlan...she won't touch the Fancy Feast.
I once put a couple of spoonfuls each of duck and chicken dog food (same organic no grain brand) in Violet's dish. She carefully picked out the duck and left the chicken. Where one piece of each touched the other, she left a bit of duck so as not to get the chicken! She even ate the kibble around it! She will eat chicken if that is all there is, but if there is duck or pork forgetaboutit!

Old 05-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #537
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My mom would often give our cocker beef stew and soup when I was growing up. He would carefully lick the peas clean and spit them out, still in perfect condition.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #538
Certified Cake Maniac

Our Joie would eat ANYTHING. I know he wasn't starved at his previous home (though other circumstances were not the greatest) but he sure acted like it. If something fell on the floor he would race to it so he would get it before Violet or us. He would eat everything out of his bowl and then stand watch over Violet to get anything she let fly out of hers.

The only thing that dog would not eat was pasta. Even if it was covered in something he would pick each noodle out regardless of shape and like your cocker's peas, Dawg, there would not be a hole or tear in them. This was the only thing Violet ever got from him and she is a big noodle hound!

Old 05-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #539
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Shreddy can read?
Why not? Teddy can spell.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #540
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post

The only thing that dog would not eat was pasta. Even if it was covered in something he would pick each noodle out regardless of shape and like your cocker's peas, Dawg, there would not be a hole or tear in them. This was the only thing Violet ever got from him and she is a big noodle hound!

Reminds me of the old joke where the pastor visits an elderly woman, and keeps eating from the dish of boiled peanuts on the table. He apologizes for eating the whole bowl, and she tells him that's OK, they were much better with the chocolate on them.

Tags
egg