Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MC, it sounds like you and your animals are having a ball. Has anyone told Tetley that he can't do anything with his harem? Or is he like a lot of the old men in this building who think the "blue" pill is their savior? Just let him have his fun. Just like the old men here in this building, all he can do is dream. It never hurts to dream. :angel:

MC, it sounds like you and your animals are having a ball. Has anyone told Tetley that he can't do anything with his harem? Or is he like a lot of the old men in this building who think the "blue" pill is their savior? Just let him have his fun. Just like the old men here in this building, all he can do is dream. It never hurts to dream. :angel:
Actually, he can do something. He can't get them pregnant.

Jabbur, good on you for fostering! My SIL and her hubby have fostered many dogs over the last few years. They have had deaf dogs, a blind one and right now they have a little guy who just had a really bad start to his life and can't find a forever home. I know they will either get him in shape or end up keeping him - though they have never done that before. This one just really needs a good loving home and they can provide that.

Violet had a very large skin tag removed from her hind leg on Wednesday. She was howling it up like it was a full moon thanks to the morphine. The vet only sedated her with it and gave a local. She is too old to be given a general and with her medications and other conditions we just won't take the risk. But today she seems much better.

We took the cone off when we are with her because we are worried in this heat. There have been a few dogs around here who have died with the cone collars on because it holds in the heat and they can't breath properly. She is not licking the bandage so we are okay for now, but I will probably have to keep it on more when we take the bandage off tomorrow.

Update on Rusty

We have had Rusty for 2 months today. He has come a long way. When we first got him, he stayed under the dining room table and when he did come out he was very timid and kept his tail between his legs. He has gradually warmed up to me, actually to the extreme, not wanting to be more than an inch away from me. It has taken him a bit longer to accept DH. So far the key seems to be how much you feed him when you're in the kitchen, cooking. LOL So far his favorite is frozen meatballs. Yes, he eats them frozen as well as defrosted. Rusty doesn't seem to bark much at other animals or the neighbors, unless they enter our property. Good watch dog. We don't get a lot of company, but by trial and error we have discovered that it's men who set him off. If BIL is here, Rusty barks and growls the whole time he's here. Yesterday, GS was here and he barked a lot at him, but when his mother came to pick him up we sat out on the porch talking for a while and Rusty actually laid down and went to sleep. Only if DH and GS came into view did he bark.

He doesn't get on the furniture, but if we are leaving, and he seems to know somehow, he will jump up on the sofa and sit up on the back. He never gets on the sofa at any other time. We don't know where that's coming from.

He likes to join me when I go into the bathroom. When I take a shower, he seems to want to jump in with me, but that's a No-No. I think maybe that's where his previous owner used to bathe him, since it was a trailer. We bathe him in the laundry tub downstairs.

All in all, except for not liking men, we couldn't have asked for a better dog from a shelter.

Carol, has DH made any concerted effort to get him to warm him up to himself? When Teddy first met Pirate, he would not stop barking at him. So Pirate just picked him up and held him on his lap. He gave him scratchies. Boy that calmed him right down. It took few more visits before he began to finally accept Pirate and stop barking at him. It took a few more session for him to stop nipping a Pirate's ankles. Now when Teddy comes in the door, he runs to Pirate and jumps right up on his lap. Spike tells me that he is also getting better with other males he comes in contact with them.

It just takes patience and teaching him trust. :angel:

Yes, Addie, Rusty's trust of DH is growing day by day, but I am still his favorite and the only one who can always go right up to him and pick him up. With DH it's hit or miss. When we first got him I held him every chance I got and rubbed his ears, scratched his back, etc, which makes him want to cuddle up close to you. Giving him meatballs, helps a lot, too. LOL Yesterday, my step-daughter and husband were here. He barked at them off and on but I let my SIL hold him and pet him and that helped. After they left he kept running to the door and letting out a little bark. I don't know if he will ever warm uo to DH's brother though, because I don't think he likes dogs.

Yes, Addie, Rusty's trust of DH is growing day by day, but I am still his favorite and the only one who can always go right up to him and pick him up. With DH it's hit or miss. When we first got him I held him every chance I got and rubbed his ears, scratched his back, etc, which makes him want to cuddle up close to you. Giving him meatballs, helps a lot, too. LOL Yesterday, my step-daughter and husband were here. He barked at them off and on but I let my SIL hold him and pet him and that helped. After they left he kept running to the door and letting out a little bark. I don't know if he will ever warm uo to DH's brother though, because I don't think he likes dogs.

Carol, if DH's brother doesn't like dogs, Rusty knows it. Animals have that sixth sense. But I am glad to hear that he warming up to other family members. He sounds like he is a great dog and so worth having. Sounds like he wants to be your best friend.

Teddy gives off that little last bark. He just has to get the last word in. My apartment is in a little cove like area. There are four other apartments in it. When another tenant goes in their house, Teddy runs to the door and barks. He is so territorial. I have him now that I just have to say his name and look at him. He stops barking, but as he walks away, he gives me a little nip of a bark. Just has to get that last word in. I have to laugh when he does that. :angel:

I think it's more that DH's brother is not used to dogs than actually not liking them. They never had a pet growing up. His parents were afraid of dogs, but most of the kids got pets when they moved out. DH had a dog when I met him and we have had one, or two, throughout our marriage.

Dogs are pack animals and expect the pack to have a hierarchy. The dog is barking at men because it thinks it's in charge. Your husband should be letting the dog know that he's the pack leader and not the dog.

This is Abbie. Hoping she and Salem can get along. We're keeping them separated for now. Abbie has the downstairs and Salem has the upstairs.

Attachments

• meet Abbie.jpg
    meet Abbie.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 134
This is Abbie. Hoping she and Salem can get along. We're keeping them separated for now. Abbie has the downstairs and Salem has the upstairs.

She is lovely. Here's hoping they get along just fine. Do keep us informed on how they are doing. Every animal deserves a forever home. :angel:

A male neighbor came over yesterday. Rusty barked a couple times and then went to lie down. I think the problem is DH's brother for some reason.

A male neighbor came over yesterday. Rusty barked a couple times and then went to lie down. I think the problem is DH's brother for some reason.

Have you considered working DH's brother and Rusty. See if he is willing to sit and just pat him for a few minutes each time he comes. That is what I did with Pirate. Now Teddy runs to him as soon as he comes into the room. He used to run to me first. Hmm. I am Mifft!! :angel:

This is Jack, our four year old, Mexican born boxer. We moved to Italy two years ago. He has adjusted well to urban living, but had to maintain his nap time in the hammock....
Learned to swim in the Magra River. Have a difficult time to hold him when a cat is in sight, and there are many around. Any suggestion?

Attachments

• Siesta 007.jpg
    Siesta 007.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 126
  • siesta 1.jpg
    siesta 1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Jack 063.jpg
    Jack 063.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Jack e il Magra 019.jpg
    Jack e il Magra 019.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 120
Jack is a Mexican cutie! Of course he needs his hammock!

Did you used to live in Mexico, Zfranca?

As far as boxers and cats, I'm afraid a firm hand on the leash is in order. Beagle, whose breed was bred to hunt rabbits, can pull me over if she spots a bunny, and we have many bunnies around here. No amount of training would get rid of that instinct, I fear.

Last edited:
His name is "Trouble!" 11 year old Golden Retriever.
We've always let our dogs name themselves.He picked a good one.

Trub, is a chronic kleptomaniac.Don't let that sweet face fool ya!:LOL: Anything that belongs to me he steals.And lets you know it he did it to.I get a little tired chasing him around the house to get my slippers back!

He still acts like a puppy.I doubt he will ever grow out of it.:cool:
Our dog Jack does the same thing. My first instinct is to chase him in the hope to get hold of my shoe, but when I realized that he did enjoy this, instead of sounding excited, I say calmly ''that is my shoe, you better drop it'', he stands still looking at me and than he drops it. It does not work all the time, but it is worth a try

Jack is a Mexican cutie! Of course he needs his hammock!

Did you used to live in Mexico, Zfranca?

As far as boxers and cats, I'm afraid a firm hand on the leash is in order. Beagle, whose breed was bred to hunt rabbits, can pull me over if she spots a bunny, and we have many bunnies around here. No amount of training would get rid of that instinct, I fear.
Yes, we lived on the Pacific ocean near Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo for 12 years. Thanks for the info, I usually have my husband to walk Jack, and even he, if caught off guard, has a difficult time to hold him back. Jack is not a big dog but he is strong, and determined to get the cat. May be he is thinking of the iguanas he use to chaise in Mexico

Attachments

• Jack 061.jpg
    Jack 061.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 124
Jack looks like a sweetie :) We had a Labrador retriever whose instinct is also to chase every little thing that moved. We took her for professional training and continued it at home. The key is consistency before the dog even sees another animal.

We practiced sit, stay, here, down, drop it, no pull, and enough (playing or play biting) constantly, in the house and backyard. When DH walked her, he made her sit at every street crossing until he said Come and they crossed the street. Any time she pulled on the leash, we jerked it up and said No pull! You can't be afraid to do that. They have very strong neck muscles and it won't hurt them, but it will demonstrate who's the leader of the pack ;) Dogs are pack animals and it's very important to make sure they know who's in charge.

She was so well trained that when people came over, she shook her whole body with excitement but never jumped up on anyone. And she didn't chase anything unless we allowed it - usually squirrels who could get up into a tree before she got close.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom