"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #591
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Of course we have room for Horse! The kitties will help with snuggles.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #592
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
What PF said.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #593
Chef Extraordinaire

Horses happen to be my favorite animal. When I worked with the 4-H kids, I always found myself spending more time with the horse kids than say the sewing kids.

For the wild, it is Bison an elephants.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #594
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
MC, I'm glad to read that it isn't anything serious. I think you are right that putting him through general anaesthesia at his age might be a bit much and I doubt he enjoys long rides in a horse trailer.
Fortunately travelling wouldn't be a problem. He loves going out in the horse box but he'd be disappointed when he arrived at the hospital and there were no hounds. He learned to love the horse box when he found out that it took him to hunt meets. (He didn't hunt foxes. He "hunted" with a drag pack that followed an artificially laid scent.)
Old 06-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #595
Certified Cake Maniac

There is definitely room for Horse here. Violet absolutely adores horses. When we go for walks in an area nearby called the "Watershed", there are usually horses along the trails. Violet goes up to them and licks their legs and tries to follow them. She is oblivious to the fact that one well placed hoof would knock her silly.

When TB was working at a youth camp one summer he often took Violet with him. It was a horse camp and while TB worked, Violet would go down to the stables. She never got in the way, but loved just being there with the other animals. She has been to many different camps now and the kids love her as much as she loves the attention.

I bought Monkey new grain free food today and will ease it into her diet. She doesn't need to be grain free but we did figure out that Violet was eating any crumbs that Monkey allowed to fall from her windowsill feeding area. Now, if Vi gets any food she shouldn't react.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:51 AM   #596
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Fortunately traveling wouldn't be a problem. He loves going out in the horse box but he'd be disappointed when he arrived at the hospital and there were no hounds. He learned to love the horse box when he found out that it took him to hunt meets. (He didn't hunt foxes. He "hunted" with a drag pack that followed an artificially laid scent.)
He sounds like the typical English horse that we hear so much about on this side of the pond. Even the Queen's family stopped hunting foxes and use the scent trail now. Why give up a perfectly good sport that gives exercise to both man and animal.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #597
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
There is definitely room for Horse here. Violet absolutely adores horses. When we go for walks in an area nearby called the "Watershed", there are usually horses along the trails. Violet goes up to them and licks their legs and tries to follow them. She is oblivious to the fact that one well placed hoof would knock her silly.

When TB was working at a youth camp one summer he often took Violet with him. It was a horse camp and while TB worked, Violet would go down to the stables. She never got in the way, but loved just being there with the other animals. She has been to many different camps now and the kids love her as much as she loves the attention.

I bought Monkey new grain free food today and will ease it into her diet. She doesn't need to be grain free but we did figure out that Violet was eating any crumbs that Monkey allowed to fall from her windowsill feeding area. Now, if Vi gets any food she shouldn't react.
Horse is very wary of dogs he doesn't know and is plain scared of German Shepherds. He was chased and bitten badly by a GSD which was being exercised in one of the fields field a couple of years before I got him. Whenever a dog is brought onto the yard I always take Horse to be introduced as a sort of psychological therapy ("Mum says it's a nice doggy so I needn't be scared" sort of thing but it doesn't work with GSDs). Oddly enough the hounds never bothered him when he was hunting and he let them run under his tummy and round his legs. He even stood still while one of them cocked its leg and "wee'd" on one of his hind legs! (He was shampoo'd when he got home!) I don't think he thought they were dogs.

I hope the grain free feed works
Old 06-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #598
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I am sitting here with a wet cat, who wants scritches. Shreddy was out in the rain and had to be encouraged to come back inside.

This is him yesterday, out in the rain. YouTube is taking forever to get rid of the shakiness of the video. It says the editing is in progress and will be ready in a little while. It's been saying that since last night.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #599
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shreddy looks like he is still having a good time.. He is a very beautiful cat!
Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #600
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
He sounds like the typical English horse that we hear so much about on this side of the pond. Even the Queen's family stopped hunting foxes and use the scent trail now. Why give up a perfectly good sport that gives exercise to both man and animal.
Everyone in most of the UK has had to stop hunting foxes and other live quarry with "dogs" (eg foxhounds, stag hounds, beagles, otter hounds, etc.,) since the bans in England and Wales in 2004 and in Scotland in 2002. Northern Ireland and the Irish republic don't have anti-hunting laws so they still have foxhunting.

The anti-hunting law is noble in intent but is convoluted in execution. As the Countryside Alliance put it "The Act makes it an offence to hunt a mouse with a dog but not a rat, you can legally hunt a rabbit but not a hare. You can flush a fox to guns with two dogs legally but if you use three it's an offence. You can flush a fox to a bird of prey with as many dogs as you like."

Addie, Horse would be mortally offended to hear himself described as English. He's Irish He's a breed called the Irish Draught Horse and came from Ireland when he was three. He isn't a heavy horse like a shire or Clydesdale and doesn't have hairy legs. The breed was developed as a farm all-rounder - pulling the plough and taking the farmer's wife to market in the trap in the week, taking the farmer hunting once or twice a week and the family to church on Sunday. They are noted for their intelligence, commonsense and gentleness and are amazing jumpers, which led to their use in the development of the Irish Sports Horse (formerly called the Irish Hunter in less PC days) which is a mixture of ID, Thoroughbred and Connemara pony.

Horse walks to heel like a dog, without a lead rope and does "stand and stay" while I walk away to fetch something I've forgotten, and he comes to call in the field. Love him to bits.

Sorry, I can bore for England about my lovely boy.

Tags
egg