Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dawg, the big bummer about not being here very often is that I miss out on things. I reported about my fur-kid woes but totally missed what you are going through with Beagle. I am glad she is doing "okay" and send hugs and love to both of you.

And thanks to all who have given good wishes for Violet and Monkey. It looks like we will be taking Violet to the vet tomorrow. I was up with kidney stone pain last night and heard her whimpering in her sleep. This morning she didn't eat and her back end is buckling more than ever.

I hope Violet and the Vet can work things out. As for Monkey, she would be the one to get a false positive...almost used one of her 9 lives.

DH and I took the nearly fully-recovered Beagle on a half long walk (those ugly Franken-staples, yuck), and walked by a subdivision house that keeps racing greyhounds in separate little kennels outside. When they hear us coming, they start to bark and whine. Of course I have to go and pat the girls. They are the sweetest dogs, even though Beagle doesn't think so and refuses to go see them. Today, instead of two, there were three greyhounds, so I had to introduce myself to the newcomers and pat and talk to all. Wish I had a camera with me, one was a brindle, and another was a gorgeous three layered shades of gray and black. And then there was the sweet little tan girl.

Beagle got to eat a part of a formerly live mole. DH had her out on her retractable leash, and she dug a couple times in one spot, and came up with a live mole! By the time DH got to her, she'd already consumed part of it. DH was horrified, thinking she'd get sick. I don't think so. I'm proud of my little hunter, apparently we haven't been using her to the best of her capabilities. I have a mole hunter! And to think, all those wasted years using mole traps.

Last edited:
Beagle got to eat a part of a formerly live mole. DH had her out on her retractable leash, and she dug a couple times in one spot, and came up with a live mole! By the time DH got to her, she'd already consumed part of it. DH was horrified, thinking she'd get sick. I don't think so. I'm proud of my little hunter, apparently we haven't been using her to the best of her capabilities. I have a mole hunter! And to think, all those wasted years using mole traps.
I hope your neighbours don't use poison on moles in their yards. That would be my only concern.

And yay mighty hunter Beagle!

My mom moved in with my sister for a couple of months, and my mom's little Yorkie went rat hunting. :) Our cute little Brianna nabbed about 3 or 4 rats. Terriers used to be used on ships as "ratters" especially Jack Russell's and Rat Terriers.

My nephew called her "killer"!
e7ae8980de84f53c91b9c0af46956d62.jpg

Last edited:
My mom moved in with my sister for a couple of months, and my mom's little Yorkie went rat hunting. :) Our cute little Brianna nabbed about 3 or 4 rats. Terriers used to be used on ships as "ratters" especially Jack Russell's and Rat Terriers.

My nephew called her "killer"!

e7ae8980de84f53c91b9c0af46956d62.jpg

:LOL: And Brianna said they were delicious! What an adorable little killer!

Last edited:
Yay Beagle!!! I saw a couple of Beagle sized bunnies this afternoon in front of Mom & Dad's house.

Beagle says thank you, Taxy and PF. She was much more efficient than a former neighbor's Newfoundlander. Bear always got his moles, but he left huge craters in the yard.

Last edited:
Beagle got to eat a part of a formerly live mole...DH was horrified, thinking she'd get sick...
Horrified thinking she would get sick? Or horrified because he saw that she had eaten half of a mole?

I think if you can't find rubber snakes to pack into DH's lunch, perhaps you can find a stuffed mole doll. :devilish:

We have curlytailed lizards Curlytail Lizard - Florida eco travel guide where we live now. They seem to be fairly smart for lizards and quickly learn whether or not you are a friend. A friend of ours who used to live further east had them trained to come up to the large white box God (his fridge) and gather around it at feeding time. It was so funny, a bunch of them would gather right in front of his fridge and just stare up at it like they were worshiping it. He kept his house open most of the time, real laid back guy.

Craig has been buying mealworms and feeding them, has 1 that runs right up to him. In fact, he has to be careful if he's out grilling because she (we think) will get underfoot. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets her to take from his hand soon. She's about 7-8 inches with an uncurled tail. Anyway, she sits outside and waits for him to come out and feed her. He's also been feeding the anole that's out there and even it is getting pretty brave about being close to people. Only thing is that's the way we take the dogs out too and the lizards are getting way too brave and I'm afraid we are going to have a "mole" incident with the lizards, especially the curlytail because she's big enough for the pugs to notice (and she's getting fat and sassy with all the mealworms she's getting) and they go running for her. Thought Strider had her for sure the other day but she managed to scuttle away just in time.

I'd have been horrified too about the mole, both for the eating it and for what eating it might do to Beagle. But glad she's feeling better enough to go mole hunting.

Beagle appreciates all the congrats. She's quite proud of herself.

Sounds like you've got quite the lizard circus there, Med!

Beagle appreciates all the congrats. She's quite proud of herself.

Sounds like you've got quite the lizard circus there, Med!

Ha! The southern part of Florida, coast to coast, has quite the breeding populations of exotic lizards. Iguanas are everywhere. Good thing they are vegetarians. Then there are the omnivorous tegus and carnivorous Nile monitors.:ohmy: Thank you so much hurricane Andrew.

Ha! The southern part of Florida, coast to coast, has quite the breeding populations of exotic lizards. Iguanas are everywhere. Good thing they are vegetarians. Then there are the omnivorous tegus and carnivorous Nile monitors.:ohmy: Thank you so much hurricane Andrew.

You mean sort of like this guy that strolled by our safari jeep in Botswana? He was at least 6 feet long

i-NWMcXjg-XL.jpg

I freely admit to being a reptile weenie, although I like those with a shell. When I saw those curly tail lizards running in packs I freaked out Med! Groan, the stuff of my nightmares!!

Last edited:
I freely admit to being a reptile weenie, although I like those with a shell. When I saw those curly tail lizards running in packs I freaked out Med! Groan, the stuff of my nightmares!!

Oh, c'mon now, Kay! They're cute! Sure hope they're not feasting on the native FL anoles. Komodo dragons and other monitor lizards, not so cute.

I love the little geckos we see when we're in the tropics, they're good house guests. Iguanas all over down there too, some in beautiful colors, it might have been Caymen where we saw the most brilliant blue iguanas.

Last edited:
We have skinks living under the raised bed next to the patio. One of our cats caught one last weekend. They shed their tails to get away. DH went to take it from the cat and suddenly had nothing but a squirming tail in his hand :ROFLMAO: He thought it was cool :cool:

seskink400.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom