"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #701
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,133
Our pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Laurie, I read the suggestion of turning on the TV, loud, to help cover up the noise of fireworks or thunder.

Yes.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:19 AM   #702
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,942
Thanks, Taxy and Dawg. In my office there is a big air purifier and the fan in it is loud enough on high to drown things out. Because of this and the fact that the Roomba can't get in here, Violet sees it as her "safe room". I could put music on my computer as well just to make sure the sound is fully drowned out.
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #703
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
All my preparations and the cats didn't even get excited. They sat there with an ear cocked towards the sound of the booms. Latté wandered to me once for a little skritch of reassurance and then went to sleep in front of the TV.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #704
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
All my preparations and the cats didn't even get excited. They sat there with an ear cocked towards the sound of the booms. Latté wandered to me once for a little skritch of reassurance and then went to sleep in front of the TV.
Good thing you did the preparation, 'cause it worked.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #705
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I hope it isn't too hard on them (and you worrying about them).

Monkey wasn't too bad on Tuesday but poor Violet has such a hard time. Even her Thundershirt didn't help. She and I ended up crawling under the covers together in the room furthest to the noise. I feel so sorry for animals with fireworks.
My old dog absolutely loved thunder and fireworks. At the first crack she'd run to the window, put her feet on the ledge and watch the pretty colours with apparent enjoyment.

My uncle on the other hand had a GSD who was terrified. He lived in a kennel outside but always gave advance notice of thunderstorms by howling. Did the same on Bonfire night. He was allowed into the house for the duration and sometimes, if it was very bad, he'd cry to be let into the pantry under the stairs. If I was there I used to go and sit in the dark with him and put my arms round him and tell him stories (well, I was only little).

Oddly enough, none of our cats have ever been bothered by thunder and fireworks
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #706
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,133
Our pets

My old blond cocker was terrified of storms until he went deaf. My third-hand dalmation was a shaking, whining mess and had to sit on top of me. My other dogs have had no issue with storms or fireworks. Beagle couldn't care less, the only thing she truly hates is getting wet!


Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #707
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
I knew a German Shorthaired Pointer who was a great hunting dog and when his owner would take him to the gun range the dog would sleep while guns/shotguns/cannons were going off right next to him.

Just let one firecracker be set off 3 streets away and he was a quivering mass of doggy! Poor guy.
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #708
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
My old dog absolutely loved thunder and fireworks. At the first crack she'd run to the window, put her feet on the ledge and watch the pretty colours with apparent enjoyment.

My uncle on the other hand had a GSD who was terrified. He lived in a kennel outside but always gave advance notice of thunderstorms by howling. Did the same on Bonfire night. He was allowed into the house for the duration and sometimes, if it was very bad, he'd cry to be let into the pantry under the stairs. If I was there I used to go and sit in the dark with him and put my arms round him and tell him stories (well, I was only little).

Oddly enough, none of our cats have ever been bothered by thunder and fireworks
I am sure he enjoyed the stories. I just hope they were happy stories and not ones like Hansel and Gretel.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #709
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,133
Our pets

There is nothing more heartbreaking than a scared, crying big dog. Thankfully, Beagle is rarely scared of anything, except for cats.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #710
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
There is nothing more heartbreaking than a scared, crying big dog. Thankfully, Beagle is rarely scared of anything, except for cats.
I take it you've never had a scared, crying big ogre on your hands...
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egg

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.