Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to start cooking for my little rat terrier Chloe, as she started to even turn up her nose at canned dog food. So now we buy chicken/turkey on sale (usually 40 cents a pound). Today I seared off some turkey legs in the cast iron skillet and finished them in the oven. Then I tore the meat off and added it to some cooked plain rice. It makes enough for 4 or 5 days for both dogs. It's actually cheaper than canned dog food.

Has it ever occurred to you that Psycho Poodle caught it from you? He was a sane pup when you first got him.

Well, they say dogs are a reflection on their owners. Psycho-poodle is very smart. :D

And, he does sometimes impress me with his new ways of being bad. Sometimes he will do something and I'll look at him, and he knows just from my look that he is in trouble, but at the same time, I can imagine him thinking, "You never actually said I couldn't do that."

CD

Our Violet has arthritis in her back hips (from hip displacia) almost as bad as me or it could even be worse. She has been very clingy and whiny. She knows when medication time is (or as we call it "stuffed salami" time because that is the only way we can get her to take pills when it isn't mealtime. I hate giving it to her that way because her extra weight doesn't help the pain.

I feel terrible that I can't do more for her. It breaks my heart to hear her whining and not being able to do something for her.

We are moving and it looks like we are going to be in a condo building and she may have to go up and down in the elevator. she hates riding in a car or having anything move under her.

I know she is 12 and not going to be around much longer but I am afraid this move is just going to bring the inevitable sooner. The irony is we are limited on the places we can buy because we have a rather large dog. But by moving to one of these places we might lose her.

I know it is because I am overwhelmed with the fact we need to find a home because we will be out of here the end of May, I am sad about Violet, I am having surgery on May 2nd (minor, a hernia repair), packing, etc. But I am just torn - We want to do the right thing by her but don't know what that is.

I just needed to vent. I hope I don't sound like a lousy fur-Mom. I love her so much and just want the best for her.

I had to start cooking for my little rat terrier Chloe, as she started to even turn up her nose at canned dog food. So now we buy chicken/turkey on sale (usually 40 cents a pound). Today I seared off some turkey legs in the cast iron skillet and finished them in the oven. Then I tore the meat off and added it to some cooked plain rice. It makes enough for 4 or 5 days for both dogs. It's actually cheaper than canned dog food.

I hope you realize that's not an adequate diet for long term? We had a couple of dogs that suffered from colitis and, per instructions from vet, I would always start that diet the instant warning signs for an attack started, but it was only for a week to 2 until things settled back down in their digestive tracts. They then had to be weaned back onto their regular food by mixing it with the rice/chicken mix in increasing/decreasing respective amounts. If you want to make her food, you'll have to add supplements so that she gets adequate nutrition. I'd either ask my vet for a recipe or look for vet-approved recipes on the internet.

Well, they say dogs are a reflection on their owners. Psycho-poodle is very smart. :D

And, he does sometimes impress me with his new ways of being bad. Sometimes he will do something and I'll look at him, and he knows just from my look that he is in trouble, but at the same time, I can imagine him thinking, "You never actually said I couldn't do that."

CD

;) You have heard the expression, "Monkey see, monkey do!" Just saying.

Our Violet has arthritis in her back hips (from hip displacia) almost as bad as me or it could even be worse. She has been very clingy and whiny. She knows when medication time is (or as we call it "stuffed salami" time because that is the only way we can get her to take pills when it isn't mealtime. I hate giving it to her that way because her extra weight doesn't help the pain.

I feel terrible that I can't do more for her. It breaks my heart to hear her whining and not being able to do something for her.

We are moving and it looks like we are going to be in a condo building and she may have to go up and down in the elevator. she hates riding in a car or having anything move under her.

I know she is 12 and not going to be around much longer but I am afraid this move is just going to bring the inevitable sooner. The irony is we are limited on the places we can buy because we have a rather large dog. But by moving to one of these places we might lose her.

I know it is because I am overwhelmed with the fact we need to find a home because we will be out of here the end of May, I am sad about Violet, I am having surgery on May 2nd (minor, a hernia repair), packing, etc. But I am just torn - We want to do the right thing by her but don't know what that is.

I just needed to vent. I hope I don't sound like a lousy fur-Mom. I love her so much and just want the best for her.

This is what I use to give Teddy his daily pill for skin allergies. It is small, so it doesn't pack a lot of calories (9 calories per pill pocket). He loves taking his pill. You may want to give it a try.

https://www.greenies.com/dogs/pill-pockets.aspx

CD

Last edited:
This is what I use to give Teddy his daily pill for skin allergies. It is small, so it doesn't pack a lot of calories (9 calories per pill pocket). He loves taking his pill. You may want to give it a try.

https://www.greenies.com/dogs/pill-pockets.aspx

CD

Thanks, CD.

We have two open packages of Pill Pockets - different sizes and flavours. Violet figured out what they were for and would eat around the pill. We have tried everything under the sun. Mild genoa salami sliced thin and then rolled up jellyroll style with the ends folded over top and bottom is the only thing that works. I use it for TB's sandwiches so I just buy a few extra slices from the deli each week.

We have Puparonies for Teddy. We have to break them up to bite size. He takes it our of hand, goes over to his rug, drops it there, and back for more. Then when he has a pile of them. he settles down to eat them one at a time. This is one dumb dog. Put them in his dish, and he leaves them there until they get hard and crunchy. Hand feed him and he eats them from his pile right away. He a food hoarder!

When he wants to come up on my bed, he stands on the floor staring at it. I have to pat the bed and say "Up!" And he refuses to move until I tell him he can come up. Only then will he jump up. Except when he sees me heading for it so I can lay down and watch TV. Then he makes a mad dash for it. Jumps up on the bed right where he know I am going to lay down. He knows I don't have the heart to make him move or push him off. So I go back to sitting. I swear his laughs at me.

Beagle can easily clean all the Velveeta off of any pill I have to give her. Thankfully it's rare that she needs pills. But those pills are sparkling clean as she spits them out.

All I have to do is say, "Teddy, you want a pill?" He comes and sits while I put the pill in a pill pocket, then I toss it to him and he catches it in the air.

As for Puperoni, I break it up and toss pieces to him to catch. If I give him a whole one, he practically swallows it whole.

CD

Someone showed me how to pill a cat. You tip their head back, drop the pill down their throat, shut the mouth and rub their throat until they swallow. Well, Sucha, a cat who is now deceased, was an expert at faking that out. I explained to the vet that she was really hard to pill. The vet patiently showed me the method I was already using. Then she said, "There, see." And then the pill flew across the room. :LOL:

Violet gets a veggie-dent stick every evening. She won't take it (or anything) until I say "okay", then she grabs it gently and goes to the same spot every time - right between my chair and the loveseat at the entrance to the living room. You can't get in or out of the room until she has finished every single bite and licked up any crumbs that might have landed on the carpet.

Monkey gets 4 little treats at the same time. You have to give them to her first as she stands right at your feet in front of the pantry cupboard where the treats are and won't move until you put them down for her. That is unless she is being lazy in any of her hiding places. In those cases I put the treats up by her bowl and she can get them in her own time.

Animals - like little kids that never grow up :)

Someone showed me how to pill a cat. You tip their head back, drop the pill down their throat, shut the mouth and rub their throat until they swallow. Well, Sucha, a cat who is now deceased, was an expert at faking that out. I explained to the vet that she was really hard to pill. The vet patiently showed me the method I was already using. Then she said, "There, see." And then the pill flew across the room. :LOL:

Our deceased Mr Mojo Jojo was an expert at faking pill taking also. And that was with using a pill shooter.

Beagle can easily clean all the Velveeta off of any pill I have to give her. Thankfully it's rare that she needs pills. But those pills are sparkling clean as she spits them out.

Our fondly remembered Bailey (shepherd/golden retriever mix) was a delicate eater. We would give him a carob frosted dog biscuit for special occasions, and he would lick all of the frosting off before he started on the biscuit. There was no way you could hide a pill that he couldn't find it. We had to just push it so far down his throat that he had no choice but to swallow it.

Our fondly remembered Bailey (shepherd/golden retriever mix) was a delicate eater. We would give him a carob frosted dog biscuit for special occasions, and he would lick all of the frosting off before he started on the biscuit. There was no way you could hide a pill that he couldn't find it. We had to just push it so far down his throat that he had no choice but to swallow it.

I am actually amazed that the salami still works with Violet, given that she gets it three times a day (I have found a way to use only a half slice and still make it work). She gets medication with her dinner, but I am able to put it in her wet food without her finding it too often. And she gets a liquid around noon but I have found that a little chicken broth or tuna "juice" works well on that one. Maybe she is finally realizing that this stuff helps her. I hate giving her so much but she seems to be doing okay. The minute it seems like she is just in pain or a drugged stupper will be time for a decision we are not looking forward to.

Back
Top Bottom