"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #821
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Most of the dogs are little ones that just yap and jump, Tonks could take me out if she had a mind to. What's really funny is, she's a very shy dog and took me forever to make friends with her. T says she started looking for me as soon as she got in the door, he had to run after her.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #822
Master Chef

Love the Horse stories, MC! I grew up with horses until I was out of high school, and sure do miss having them around.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:59 PM   #823
Master Chef

MC, your story makes it clear that you and Horse have a special friendship. Thanks for sharing.

Now about this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Horse walks to heel (like a dog)....Horse has always been easy to train because he has the attitude that it's really too much trouble to disobey...
If only raising children were as simple...
Old 09-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #824
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was mugged by a dog today... Her owner was embarrassed, but I thought it was funny, silly dog recognized me from the back!
I'm pretty sure Tonks didn't "recognize you from the back". I'd bet that she recognized the "perfume" you were wearing: Eau de Beggin' Strips.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:30 AM   #825
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm pretty sure Tonks didn't "recognize you from the back". I'd bet that she recognized the "perfume" you were wearing: Eau de Beggin' Strips.
I'm not kidding about how shy she is...and I know, she equates me with treats...so don't go messing up my quest for dog snot all over.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #826
Executive Chef

My friend used to bring treats for my other dog every time she came to visit. One time we got to talking right away and she forgot about the dog. We looked over and he had his head completely inside her purse, looking for the treats! LOL
Old 09-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #827
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My friend used to bring treats for my other dog every time she came to visit. One time we got to talking right away and she forgot about the dog. We looked over and he had his head completely inside her purse, looking for the treats! LOL
The dogs come in the office and stare at the file drawer I keep the treats in, it's counter-weighted so they can't get it open. Otherwise I would have to buy treats daily, instead of once a week.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #828
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
MC, your story makes it clear that you and Horse have a special friendship. Thanks for sharing.

Now about this part:

If only raising children were as simple...
I know, I know.....
Old 09-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #829
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
MC I just want to know, what name did you register him with? I just love everything about horses. I love the beauty of watching them gallop with mane and tail flowing. And to watch their muscles ripple, well what can I say. I think horses are one of the most beautiful animals on earth.

Now I stand only 4'8" tall. When I worked the fair, I would take a set of reins in each hand and bring back two, to the barn when they were unhitched. They were the Clydesdale horses. And they knew what they were supposed to and which stall was theirs. The owner took two and his wife took the last two. His wife hated handling them and they sensed it. Always gave her a hard time. Not me or the owner. If I wasn't busy with the kids, I would go into the barn and brush their feathers. I was never afraid of them kicking me. I loved those horses.
His real name is Tetley. He came to me with it. He's an all-over rich chestnut colour (I think you call that sorrel?) and in the UK we have a brand of beer called Tetley's. When he came from Ireland he came without a name and at the time the riding school who imported him was calling its new horses after drinks - they had Brandy, Boddington (another make of beer), Hennessy, etc., etc. We also have a brand of tea bags called Tetley and he was once entered into a small horse show as "Sir Tetley Teabag". I've called him Horse on DC as I thought it might confuse the issue if I started talking about Tetley.

In all the years I've known him (about 19 - I've had him 14 years but knew him before) he's only kicked people twice. The first time was the night he arrived from Ireland after sea voyage and a long road journey. He'd had enough by the time he was unloaded and put in the stable and kicked out at the yard manager when she went to feed him. The second time was a few years back. He'd hurt himself and was in a lot of pain and didn't want to be bothered with having me muck out round him. He didn't really kick. He just put out a rear hoof and pushed me out of the way. He's done everything from giving rides to a 4 year old to hunting with a former Master of Draghounds who said he was the best hunter he'd ever ridden. Not bad since prior to taking him hunting he'd described Tetley as a lazy good-for-nothing!
Old 09-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #830
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
His real name is Tetley... in the UK we have a brand of beer called Tetley's. When he came from Ireland he came without a name and at the time the riding school who imported him was calling its new horses after drinks - they had Brandy, Boddington (another make of beer), Hennessy, etc., etc. We also have a brand of tea bags called Tetley and he was once entered into a small horse show as "Sir Tetley Teabag"....
Tetley and Boddington - both available here at our favorite Irish pub as well as the beer/wine/spirits store that we shop. When we're at the pub, we like getting either Tetley or Smithwick's since they have both on tap. Or Boddington. Or maybe Guinness...

We have Tetley tea here too, but it doesn't go as well with a burger or pizza as the beer does.

Tags
egg