"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #831
Chef Extraordinaire

I love the name Tetley. It just sounds so British. But then so does Lipton. We have a tea with a supposed picture of a Lord Lipton on it. He was said to be a great seaman. Must Google the name.

Tetley sounds like a dream horse. Any chance of a picture of him. I take it he is a gelding. He does sound so gentle. One time when I went on vacation (holiday) in Oregon. We decided to go horseback riding. The person I was with had never even been on a horse. It had been a number of years since I had been on one and I knew what was coming. I tried to warn the other person about the soreness. To no avail. We could have gone on the two hour ride, but no, it had to be the four hour one. My legs are just to short to cover the girth of the horse for a long ride. By hour three, I was ready to get off and walk the rest of the way. But I stuck it out. The next day my friend spent the day in bed except for the time spent trying to get to a hot shower hoping it would help. I was nice. I didn't laugh. (out loud that is!)

Old 09-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #832
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Tetley and Boddington - both available here at our favorite Irish pub as well as the beer/wine/spirits store that we shop. When we're at the pub, we like getting either Tetley or Smithwick's since they have both on tap. Or Boddington. Or maybe Guinness...

We have Tetley tea here too, but it doesn't go as well with a burger or pizza as the beer does.
Until a few years ago Boddingtons was an independent brewery in Manchester (about ten miles from me) but I was bought up by a big brewery. Glad to hear the beer's still good.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #833
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I love the name Tetley. It just sounds so British. But then so does Lipton. We have a tea with a supposed picture of a Lord Lipton on it. He was said to be a great seaman. Must Google the name.

Tetley sounds like a dream horse. Any chance of a picture of him. I take it he is a gelding. He does sound so gentle. One time when I went on vacation (holiday) in Oregon. We decided to go horseback riding. The person I was with had never even been on a horse. It had been a number of years since I had been on one and I knew what was coming. I tried to warn the other person about the soreness. To no avail. We could have gone on the two hour ride, but no, it had to be the four hour one. My legs are just to short to cover the girth of the horse for a long ride. By hour three, I was ready to get off and walk the rest of the way. But I stuck it out. The next day my friend spent the day in bed except for the time spent trying to get to a hot shower hoping it would help. I was nice. I didn't laugh. (out loud that is!)
Been there, done that!

Yes, he's a gelding. When he came from Ireland, aged 3, he was still entire and wasn't "cut" until he was four and a half. He was as gentle and quiet as a stallion as he is now as an elderly gelding. However, Mike (the stables'owner) bred horses in a small way when Tetley was a stallion and there were a lot of chestnut youngsters on the farm! He obviously learned what the equipment was for as he still has a small herd of 4 or 5 girlfriends in the summer! It's funny to watch him when he goes to the field, stands just inside the gate and whinnies loudly and the girls come running running from all over the 30 acre field!

This is him hunting with a friend, Bev, just popping a small fence. She wasn't a very good rider but with the combination of side saddle and Tetley she was safe as houses. It's the only one I have on my laptop and my PC, where the others are, has had to go to hospital.

Name:   File0003_large.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  9.5 KB

NB this was drag hunting - no live quarry - but could be more hair-raising than fox-hunting depending on where the trail was laid! When the fox-hunting ban came in I asked a friend who'd hunted with fox hounds all her life if she 'd be going over to drag hunting. She looked appalled and said "Good grief, no. Drag hunting's far too dangerous"!
Old 09-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #834
Chef Extraordinaire

I think of all the equestrian events there are, Dressage is my favorite. Such discipline and training. For both the horse and rider.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #835
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think of all the equestrian events there are, Dressage is my favorite. Such discipline and training. For both the horse and rider.
Dream horse indeed. If I'd set out to buy a horse like him I'd still be looking. When he was quite a baby we were out on a hack on the road through the village when a fire truck in full "bells and whistles" cry came round the corner. He just looked at it, registered it and carried on regardless. That's when I fell for him. He is, however, scared of tape measures, which causes a problem when he has to be measured for anything :-D

I'm trying to persuade Lauren, the young woman who has him on part loan at the moment, to try a bit of (low level) dressage with him as I think he'd enjoy it. He seems to like learning new things.

Oddly, in view of his jumping prowess in the hunting field he is absolutely useless at show jumping. We discovered only a few years ago that, before he came to England, he had fractured his pelvis. Although it is completely mended and doesn't bother him, he isn't very good at getting round some of the tight turns that you get in SJ so can't organise himself to get over the next jump. It suited me when I was riding because my way of thinking was that "One of us has to have our feet on the ground and mine aren't so his have to be".
Old 09-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #836
Executive Chef

Sorry, folks. I can bore for England when it comes to horses generally and my gorgeous boy in particular.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #837
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Sorry, folks. I can bore for England when it comes to horses generally and my gorgeous boy in particular.
But that is what this thread is for. Our Pets! And Tetley is your pet. I have a penchant for large animals. Whether they be domesticated or wild. I am in love with elephants and the American Bison. Elephants for their intelligence and the capacity for emotional expressions. The bison for their brute strength and horses for their absolute beauty of their anatomy.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #838
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I love reading about your horse. I doubt other people are getting bored. Heck, we have a long thread about CWS's chickens: Chicken Chronicles
Old 09-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #839
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Absolutely not, I enjoy reading about Tetley and his life with you. Love watching horses as they go about their various jobs and play.

I had a horse when I was younger and have ridden rarely since.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #840
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Keep the Tetley stories coming, MC! We're all enjoying them!

Tags
egg