"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #901
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
OK, here' one for all you doggie lovers. Many of you old timers (haha) will remember my difficulties with a shelter dog we adopted a few years ago. Rosebud, with the help of some of you, and the advice of a few local trainers, has become a perfectly lovely pet and we adore her and she us. There's one oddity about her --- she will not fetch. Occasionally, she'll grab one of her toys and bring it to us, but if we toss it she gets this pitiful look, as if she gave us a gift and we threw it away. She likes her toys, and every day or two will walk up to all of them and touch them, touch her crate, and she's happy. It's like she has to reassure herself that her "stuff" is still there. But she won't play with it. Any stuffed toy or anything with a squeak or rattle, she destroys w/I hours, sometimes minutes) to take out the noise-maker. Her not playing isn't a big issue most of the time, but in winter you can tell she's bored, and us walking on ice/snow isn't going to happen. I'm tempted to get her a pull/tug-o-war toy, but am afraid of un-doing the training we went through to overcome her early aggressive tendencies. She could use some more exercise until our temps stay above freezing. Any ideas?
This looks like fun, will give her exercise for her body and mind, and, best of all, can be played indoors. There are other games on the same site.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtu...-hide-and-seek

Old 01-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #902
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
OK, here' one for all you doggie lovers. Many of you old timers (haha) will remember my difficulties with a shelter dog we adopted a few years ago. Rosebud, with the help of some of you, and the advice of a few local trainers, has become a perfectly lovely pet and we adore her and she us. There's one oddity about her --- she will not fetch. Occasionally, she'll grab one of her toys and bring it to us, but if we toss it she gets this pitiful look, as if she gave us a gift and we threw it away. She likes her toys, and every day or two will walk up to all of them and touch them, touch her crate, and she's happy. It's like she has to reassure herself that her "stuff" is still there. But she won't play with it. Any stuffed toy or anything with a squeak or rattle, she destroys w/I hours, sometimes minutes) to take out the noise-maker. Her not playing isn't a big issue most of the time, but in winter you can tell she's bored, and us walking on ice/snow isn't going to happen. I'm tempted to get her a pull/tug-o-war toy, but am afraid of un-doing the training we went through to overcome her early aggressive tendencies. She could use some more exercise until our temps stay above freezing. Any ideas?
Hi Claire!

Will Rosebud take a toy back from you if you hold it out? Maybe just a little tug of war with one of her toys would be helpful. Just lightly shake it and hold out, pull back a little when she tries to take it and shake again then let her have it. May not expend a lot of energy but may pique her interest in a little keep way fun. I sure don't want her to pull you off balance and need a matching titanium hip.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #903
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You might try a Kong stuffed with some treats. They're often used to entertain dogs, keeps them occupied for a long time.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #904
Senior Cook

This is my Miss Sadie 12 weeks old.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #905
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

She is just sweet! Will she be a hunting dog?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #906
Master Chef

Sadie is a real cutie, callmaker!
Old 01-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #907
Master Chef

Dawglover, she has a Kong "football" that holds a treat and she just loves it. It's about the only thing that holds up to her chewing. For a 25 pound dog, she really can tear into things. She's never gotten into chewing inappropriate stuff, though, just can destroy most toys in no time flat. Kong is tough enough for her. She's a strange dog (we blame her infancy as a road dog). Loves her crate and takes "time out" there most days, and wants to be there when we go out, actually goes in and lies down when she sees us changing our shoes. She thinks "football" (because of the Kong), "toothbrush" (because of the teeth-cleaning treats) and "medicine" (she gets her twice daily phenobarbital in a little glob of cream cheese) all mean treat. And she's the first dog I've had who love to eat virtually anything and everything (we have to be careful) and ... won't fetch.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #908
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Somebeagle found a new bed in my freshly washed, yet to be folded sheets: 
Name:   ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1423881280.452578.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  12.8 KB
Old 02-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #909
Master Chef

Awwww. LittleBit used to crawl in the basket of warm, freshly-dried towels. Never thought I'd miss that...
Old 02-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #910
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Somebeagle found a new bed in my freshly washed, yet to be folded sheets: Attachment 22588
Hard to be upset with that picture of serenity. SleepBeagle.

Tags
egg