"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #971
Master Chef

First of all MC, thanks for sharing the happy news about Tetley. I hope he stays fit and healthy for many years. When "the time" comes, you'll know. Until then, enjoy. As a character in a series of books I enjoy says "don't borrow trouble".

Now, cats. You mentioned that your cat-to-be is already in a home. Ask the current servant to Mistress Cat what kitty's preference has been. I've heard and read that cat's are finicky, not liking their usual litter or food to suddenly be changed on them. That wasn't the way with either of our cats, mind you. I could switch from one particular food/litter to a brand-new one and neither cat would so much as blink at the change. The only exception was trying to get LittleBit to use "Swheat Scoop" litter. Even though I was trying to ease her into it by starting out with only 1/4 volume mixed it, she wasn't a fan. Hoping your new furry friend is adaptable, but just in case you might want to play it safe.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #972
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
First of all MC, thanks for sharing the happy news about Tetley. I hope he stays fit and healthy for many years. When "the time" comes, you'll know. Until then, enjoy. As a character in a series of books I enjoy says "don't borrow trouble".

Now, cats. You mentioned that your cat-to-be is already in a home. Ask the current servant to Mistress Cat what kitty's preference has been. I've heard and read that cat's are finicky, not liking their usual litter or food to suddenly be changed on them. That wasn't the way with either of our cats, mind you. I could switch from one particular food/litter to a brand-new one and neither cat would so much as blink at the change. The only exception was trying to get LittleBit to use "Swheat Scoop" litter. Even though I was trying to ease her into it by starting out with only 1/4 volume mixed it, she wasn't a fan. Hoping your new furry friend is adaptable, but just in case you might want to play it safe.
Please meet Rosie the Tuxedo Cat - video sent by the current servant
https://youtu.be/idcWb0t4sVg

Apparently she's on wood pellets but she isn't fussy.

She's my 5th cat. The last one was claustrophobic and panicked when the kitchen door to outside was closed with him in the kitchen even if I was with him. He eventually decided to go and live next door where there was a cat flap!

The cat I had before him was 18 when he died in his sleep so I hope Rosie does as well.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #973
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our pets

Oh, we need a baby shower, MC! Congrats!

Nice to meet you, Rosie! Love the white whiskers and eyebrow hairs!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #974
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Those eyebrows!!! She's a beauty! Congrats MC.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #975
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Aw, Rosie looks like a real sweetie.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:32 PM   #976
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Please meet Rosie the Tuxedo Cat - video sent by the current servant
https://youtu.be/idcWb0t4sVg
She is such a cutie, MC! She has big white whiskers and eyebrows just like each of our tuxies did. I really miss having a cat, but I'm holding off until we move back to OH. We moved one from OH to MA and it wasn't the most fun drive we've ever had. Really don't want to chance a re-run.

Enjoy Rosie and have fun with her once she moves into her new furever home.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #977
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
She is such a cutie, MC! She has big white whiskers and eyebrows just like each of our tuxies did. I really miss having a cat, but I'm holding off until we move back to OH. We moved one from OH to MA and it wasn't the most fun drive we've ever had. Really don't want to chance a re-run.

Enjoy Rosie and have fun with her once she moves into her new furever home.
I don't know how Tetley will take it. Perhaps I shouldn't tell him. I don't want him to be jealous.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #978
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I don't know how Tetley will take it. Perhaps I shouldn't tell him. I don't want him to be jealous.
Your secret is safe with us. I love Rosie's face.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #979
Executive Chef

does anyone here have a great dane for a pet? or know one? my daughter just bought a bernie great dane puppy. i know she is going to be one hell of a big girl, but what else should i know about this breed of dog? what sort of experiences, good/bad, have you had with your great dane? any and all of your input will be much appreciated.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #980
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
does anyone here have a great dane for a pet? or know one? my daughter just bought a bernie great dane puppy. i know she is going to be one hell of a big girl, but what else should i know about this breed of dog? what sort of experiences, good/bad, have you had with your great dane? any and all of your input will be much appreciated.
The family who own the stables where Tetley lives have had two GDs in the years I've been going there. Silk, the first one that I knew there was friendly but reserved with visitors to the yard. She wasn't possessive but she wasn't going to have any nonsense on her territory. She patrolled the yard at 10pm every night and if she thought you shouldn't be there she would stand in front of your car, refusing to let you leave until you gave a satisfactory account of yourself. The current one is a lollopy daft girl - anyone's for a cuddle and would show the burglars where the silver's hidden. Both were huge and needed a lot of exercise which, of course, having the run of the yard and a large area for walks off the lead they get. I've seen the current one running alongside the quad bike in the fields and keeping up.

Judging by those two, GDs have a good temperament but, like all dogs (and horses) if they don't know the rules they will be badly behaved and, at that size, dangerous. Kind but firm is the way to go as with all animals (including children )

Also, like all big dogs they don't live an enormously long life. I think Silk was about 9 or 10 but that was said to be an advanced age for a GD.

In the UK docking dogs tails and clipping their ears is illegal but I gather that both are still permitted under American law.

Great Dane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags
egg