Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to give Latte a swat for clawing on the couch, I've never swatted her before, but this behavior has been going on for a while. No amount of hollering, shaking pennies in a can or squirting her with water did the trick. Not two seconds later she came over to me purring anxiously and when she realized I wasn't still mad (how could I be) she started her normal content humming. She maketh me nutso!

I had a bath mat that Teddy loved to lay on. He would head right into the bathroom. So I brought it out into the living room and placed it right next to the computer where Spike sits every night. Then I bought new mats for the bathroom.

I also have a very old towel that is thin and worn. So I gave it to Teddy to cover up with. The other night when The Pirate was getting ready to leave he stated, "Let me make Teddy's bed first." You would have thought he was making the bed for Queen Elizabeth. When I told Spike about this, he remarked, "Well who set up the bed in the first place?" I think I have lost it also. All this fuss for a dog that likes to drink from dirty puddles and eat dead pigeons. Tonight his bed remains unmade. After all, I didn't sleep in it, I am not going to make it. :angel:

Shreddy update: He is doing quite well. He not only wants to go outside now, he has started peeing outside!

He is being quite picky about food, but is happy to try new foods. I think he was just bored to tears of the canned food I was feeding him. I have added other brands of cat food, baby food, tinned salmon, and tinned tuna.

He sometimes wants some of what I am eating. He was happy with bits of chicken from my chicken wings and he practically demanded bits of steak. This is from a cat who wouldn't eat "people food" for most of his life.

He does have some difficulty with eating. It's not so much the eating as the mess that is left around his mouth and the drool that sometimes gets in his food. I wipe his mouth with a dry dish rag and I change his food if he drools in it. I can blame him for not wanting the food with the drool on it. His water bowl has to be changed several times a day. I think he is rinsing his face and teeth in it.

I agree. But, he is carrying it pretty far. I bought a tin of "No Name" salmon and he wouldn't eat it. He wants the brand name stuff. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

High Maintenance Cat! Teddy turns his nose up at fully cooked roast beef. He wants his rare. :angel:

High Maintenance Cat! Teddy turns his nose up at fully cooked roast beef. He wants his rare. :angel:
I wouldn't put up with it if he were healthy. Since the vet said, "Weeks", it's not something I'm going to have to deal with for very long. :(

:ROFLMAO: I don't know for sure. He seems to understand English.

But, the no name stuff didn't look as nice. It had a lot more coagulated white stuff (protein?) on the surface than the Clover Leaf salmon does.

I guess I'd have to agree with Shreddy, I wouldn't eat something with coagulated protein on top either, unless it's cheese. He and Latte have good taste.

Last edited:
Monkey is very fussy about the wet food I give her. If it has chicken or peas in it (heaven forbid both!) she will not go near the dish. If it has any kind of fish she won't even let me get the dish on her window sill (so Violet can't get it) before her head is in it.

Violet is still licking everything (meaning us, the furniture, the carpet, herself, etc.) and is still totally clingy to me but I think she is a bit better each day. I am still not convinced she isn't in pain, but don't want to needlessly put her on another medication if I don't have to. As it is, I have 1/2 a tramadol, two probiotic chewables, two diarrhea pills and half a large chewable glucosamine in three pieces to hide in her wet food twice a day plus in the evening 1 cc of meloxicam in a few ounces of chicken broth. The medicine the vet has suggested is gabapentin. I am on that and don't wish that my dog has to take it too.

That was my thought.:LOL:

I want to know how Latte knows the difference between Fancy Feast and ProPlan...she won't touch the Fancy Feast.

Some cat/dog food might have spleen in it---- probably listed as a by-product that may change from batch to batch.

My dogs would eat almost anything---- especially if it were meat. But a bit of spleen introduced into a big serving of other meats----- No thanks!

I've read that spleen might bring on diarrhea in cats. I won't spend the time looking for that reference but people interested can.

:ROFLMAO: I don't know for sure. He seems to understand English.

But, the no name stuff didn't look as nice. It had a lot more coagulated white stuff (protein?) on the surface than the Clover Leaf salmon does.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad for a cat. Cat's have a different idea of what 'looks nice' than humans. Or is edible, hence why they might eat their barf. :rolleyes:

That was my thought.:LOL:

I want to know how Latte knows the difference between Fancy Feast and ProPlan...she won't touch the Fancy Feast.

I once put a couple of spoonfuls each of duck and chicken dog food (same organic no grain brand) in Violet's dish. She carefully picked out the duck and left the chicken. Where one piece of each touched the other, she left a bit of duck so as not to get the chicken! She even ate the kibble around it! She will eat chicken if that is all there is, but if there is duck or pork forgetaboutit!

My mom would often give our cocker beef stew and soup when I was growing up. He would carefully lick the peas clean and spit them out, still in perfect condition.

Our Joie would eat ANYTHING. I know he wasn't starved at his previous home (though other circumstances were not the greatest) but he sure acted like it. If something fell on the floor he would race to it so he would get it before Violet or us. He would eat everything out of his bowl and then stand watch over Violet to get anything she let fly out of hers.

The only thing that dog would not eat was pasta. Even if it was covered in something he would pick each noodle out regardless of shape and like your cocker's peas, Dawg, there would not be a hole or tear in them. This was the only thing Violet ever got from him and she is a big noodle hound!

The only thing that dog would not eat was pasta. Even if it was covered in something he would pick each noodle out regardless of shape and like your cocker's peas, Dawg, there would not be a hole or tear in them. This was the only thing Violet ever got from him and she is a big noodle hound!

:LOL: Reminds me of the old joke where the pastor visits an elderly woman, and keeps eating from the dish of boiled peanuts on the table. He apologizes for eating the whole bowl, and she tells him that's OK, they were much better with the chocolate on them.

Back
Top Bottom