Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting, and good to know. We may need to try Greenies again, though to Beagle, they're not the same as her cookies.

I read in an Amazon review that there is a version without the chlorhexidene.

I think the main problem isn't the chemical, it's that Beagle now wolfs down the entire "cookie" whole (she used to chew it for a long time), and it stops up her stomach or intestinal tract. She's distressed, and eats grass and other plant and cloth based materials in order to relieve her distress. She's horked up several partial cookies. No more whole cookies!

I can understand very easily your love of Horse. We have wild mustangs here in the States. I love watching them run across the hills. Every year they have a roundup of them and certain ones are put up for adoption. Those that aren't adopted are sent back to be wild. Adoption is not that easy either. You have to prove that you own a ranch or farm for the horse and that the horse will not be used for rodeo or other purpose that will be harmful to the animal. Then once you get the animal home, the hard work begins. It is up to the new owner to break it and turn it into a horse that can be ridden. Good Luck to the new owner.

We still have fox hunting here, mostly in Virginia as far as I know. When Jackie Kennedy was in the White House she often would go to the hounds! Of course that meant the Secret Service had to ride along with her and keep up with her.

There was a group of 4-H girls from another part of the state that rode without a bridle, saddle or any leather at all. They gave all the commands with only their knees. No hands at all. Needles to say, they always went home with the Blue Ribbon. :angel:

Glad to hear that about the wild mustangs being adopted or released.

What's 4-H? (I know I'm going to kick myself when you tell me!)

I only ride "English" so I don't know much about "western" riding but mostly it is your legs and the transfer of your weight that guide the horse and the reins back the legs up up (and stop him in a crisis!). It isn't recommended to ride Horse bareback as he is very uncomfortable - he has very sharp vertebrae and it's like sitting on a bread knife! I used to hate it when I was having riding lessons as a little girl and we had to ride without reins and our arms stretched out level with our shoulders to learn to balance properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The vet left about 20 minutes ago. Shreddy is no longer in pain. We are going to miss him a lot. He was a sweetheart.
Sorry to hear that but it was the best for him. I hope when it's Horse's time I have the courage and the good sense to let him go. You loved Shreddy and gave him a lovely happy life and you have your memories.

What's 4-H? (I know I'm going to kick myself when you tell me!)

4-H is a national youth development program that teaches leadership and other skills and encourages young people to become involved in their communities. 4-H stands for this:

Head, Heart, Hands, and Health are the four Hs in 4-H, and they are the four values members work on through fun and engaging programs.

Head - Managing, Thinking
Heart - Relating, Caring
Hands - Giving, Working
Health - Being, Living

4-H for us is (mostly) farm kids raising livestock or plants for show or slaughter. Cattle, hogs, sheep, poultry, rabbits. Though any kid is welcome to join.

Monkey is going to give me a heart attack one of these days!

Today I was sorting laundry. We have a cart on wheels that has three bags in it. I just wheel it from the bedroom to the laundry and pour the bags in to the machine - very easy for me.

Well I finished sorting (throwing into the bags from the bed) and went to the machine. I started it, and went to throw the bag into the machine. It seemed a little heavy, but it was the dark load so I just thought there were more jeans than usual. All of a sudden I felt a movement and heard a "meow". Thankfully I turned the bag up just in time or Monkey would have fallen into the machine filling with soapy water.

4-H is more common in farming communities, Scouts in urban and suburban communities.

Actually, 4-H programs are offered in urban and suburban areas, too; they just do different activities. But the goals of leadership development and community service are the same.

Actually, 4-H programs are offered in urban and suburban areas, too; they just do different activities. But the goals of leadership development and community service are the same.
I didn't mean to imply that that there was no 4-H other than in farming communities, just that they are more common there.

4-H is a national youth development program that teaches leadership and other skills and encourages young people to become involved in their communities. 4-H stands for this:

Head, Heart, Hands, and Health are the four Hs in 4-H, and they are the four values members work on through fun and engaging programs.

Head - Managing, Thinking
Heart - Relating, Caring
Hands - Giving, Working
Health - Being, Living

Thanks GG. Sounds good.

I first want to say that I have a morbid fear of anything rodent. I can't watch them on TV and when our previous house was infested I went to stay with a friend until they were evicted. And then I insisted we move! It stems from a horrific experience in my university days.

Anyway, this leaves me on the fence of being proud of my little Monkey or grossed out at the thought. She caught her very first mouse today in our back yard (the gross out part because that means they are "out there"). Actually I don't know if it is a mouse or a rat and it really doesn't matter.

I didn't let her kill it, so it is still out there somewhere, but Violet also considers herself a pretty keen mouser and probably will scare it away (or something else I don't want to think about).

It is hard when you don't want to see bad happen to any living creature, but you are totally afraid of that creature! :wacko:

I hear ya, Laurie. :wacko: My kitty used to always go after critters...well, still does on occasion. The latest one was a scorpion. He's more of an inside kitty now, since he was beaten up by a neighborhood cat several months ago and needed surgery.

I do NOT miss those days of finding 'gifts' for me on the patio. I know he loves me, he doesn't need to prove it by bringing me dead ickies. :huh: :LOL:

I once picked up a gnawed on mouse head that my cat dropped at my feet as I got home and I said, "What the heck is this?" Ackkk!

My German Shepherd's days are numbered. Yesterday she couldn't even stand unless I put a leash on her and commanded her. No tugging, she just knew I meant business. I tried to help her stand beforehand and she yelped in pain. Today she's relatively fine. Better as the day goes on. I dug her grave yesterday... Hopefully it will be a while before I put the dirt back in.

Back
Top Bottom