Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diabetes? She does?
How can you tell???

My girl's parents were not from over here. Her father is Slovakian and her mother German. Sch III and PP trained, both ODA'ed. She is from working show lines and not the American flying trot lines, lol.

Pac, MC confused your dog with Jabbur's, who is diabetic.

Last edited:
Aw, Jabbur (((hugs))). It's horrible when you really realize that you may not have your furry friend may not be with you much longer. Just make sure to enjoy all the days you have left with your little friend.

Horse came in from the field dog lame on Tuesday evening and couldn't put his foot down on the ground. Called the vet out who drained an abscess in his hoof. We are now poulticing daily. (Equine medicine is often quite old fashioned but it works.)

24 hours later if he thought no-one could see him he was standing square on all four feet. The minute he noticed me outside his loose box the foot was lifted in a pathetic "Ooh, it hurts, Mum" fashion. You wouldn't think horses could have facial expressions but this one does. There has been some research that seems to show that horses can learn to understand up to 400 words and this one knows most of them. As he was waving his poor paw at me I said "Poor Horse. Shall we call the VET?". Poorly foot went down and he walked without a limp to his "sulking" corner. He certainly knows the word "vet"! :-D

Last edited:
I've started ordering from an organic co-op. They deliver your goods once a week in Rubbermaid totes. The delivery guy came yesterday afternoon and I had the frond door open because we have the new screen.

Violet started barking at this guy putting stuff on "her" porch. Her bark is very deep and can be a little unnerving if you don't know her. But when I arrived at the door he asked if she was friendly. To that I opened the door and she went to him immediately wagging her tail. Then she started sniffing around on the grassy area inside our privacy fence. He asked questions about her age, breed, etc. and was very taken by her. As we talked she crossed the path and went up the slope into the green space beside us. This is where Monkey goes when she escapes.

The guy left and Vi kept exploring, ignoring my calling her and would look back and keep going. I guess she felt if the little brat can do it so can she. But the "good girl" kicked in and she only went as far as our fence, came back down and trotted to the front door without another word from me. I guess she tried it out, didn't see what all the fuss was about and is happy with her back yard! :LOL:

We have just come back from our 2nd vet visit in one week. Just our annuals and vaccinations. We have two dogs so we have to do two, separately because they are each a handful so we have to do one at a time. Pearl, the black lab had to have a lump aspirated. Just a fatty mass. Not the "c" word. (Prayers answered. Thank you, thank you, thank you....)

Two visits, everyone is healthy...and I'm $500 dollars poorer. Oh well. We can eat meat next month.

I understand where you are coming from, mmyap. Violets medications cost $150 a month. Every three months she has to have a blood test which is another $150. Then there is the special food for her allergies and joint problems. That's another $200 every 6 weeks or so. Glucosamine supplement is $80 for 3 months and if she is in pain it is $50 - $100 just for the visit. x-rays are very expensive because she must be sedated to get the legs out flat.

Monkey on the other hand only costs us her annual check-ups and she gets her first one next month. So far she is very healthy!

Monkey has slipped her harness twice now when her lead gets tangled and both times has actually stayed in the back yard. It is partly because we keep her claws short so she can't climb the fence (which is also taller now) and we think partly that she is "getting" the fact that if she tries to climb the fence she goes in the house and if she doesn't she can stay outside longer.

I understand where you are coming from, mmyap. Violets medications cost $150 a month. Every three months she has to have a blood test which is another $150. Then there is the special food for her allergies and joint problems. That's another $200 every 6 weeks or so. Glucosamine supplement is $80 for 3 months and if she is in pain it is $50 - $100 just for the visit. x-rays are very expensive because she must be sedated to get the legs out flat.

Monkey on the other hand only costs us her annual check-ups and she gets her first one next month. So far she is very healthy!

Yup. Pets cost money. We do the supplements too and the Sentinel and Frontline. And I'm very picky about dog food as well. But what they give in return is not measurable. Along with children, pets are a gift from God. They keep you humble (there is no classy way to pick up poo). They make you laugh and more importantly, they love us unconditionally. Aren't we lucky?

I'd rather have a Pearl, a Sophie and a Rocky (cat) then all the jewelry and fancy cars in the world. :clap:

I honestly don't know what my life would have been like without all the animals I have had over the years to help me cope with all the challenges I have faced. Violet, and now Monkey, are a big part of my survival system. They know just the right time for a cuddle or to do something silly to cheer me up! :)

Right now, they are both fast asleep, Violet on her bed beside my desk, and Monkey on the chair behind me. All the money in the world can't give the same feelings as that. :wub:

He certainly knows the word "vet"! :-D

Violet is the exact opposite. To her the word "Vet" means she is going to see all her friends who lavish her with praises and treats! She even endures the car ride. I thought things would change when we changed vets to one close by, but she won this one and his staff over too and now THEY are her fan club! She usually drags me to the door. They have a cat there who looks like Monkey but is a lot bigger. Vi can't figure out why this black cat doesn't want anything to do with her. :LOL::LOL:

We are battening down for the fireworks and insane cats. I have a medium size box with a hole in it and it's covered with all the extra blankets.

We are battening down for the fireworks and insane cats. I have a medium size box with a hole in it and it's covered with all the extra blankets.
I hope it isn't too hard on them (and you worrying about them).

Monkey wasn't too bad on Tuesday but poor Violet has such a hard time. Even her Thundershirt didn't help. She and I ended up crawling under the covers together in the room furthest to the noise. I feel so sorry for animals with fireworks.

Laurie, I read the suggestion of turning on the TV, loud, to help cover up the noise of fireworks or thunder.

Back
Top Bottom