Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mahalos, dawgluver and cheryl j, Vito was 125 pounds of love, but heaven help you if you tried to mess with 'the girl' (that's me) or 'the mom' (my mother who lived with us) he was VERY protective, but what a sweet boy (he was 'the boy'). Our grand-newphew was his best buddy, along with his dog Crombie and his Mom-Liz (our niece), he could here their truck coming from miles away and would go nuts out in the front yard waiting for them to arrive...
vito and crombie.jpeg

Thanks LP. Our daughter is getting used to being a cat-free house by watching birds at her guy friend's house. A beautiful male cardinal was sitting on the fence yesterday - she sent us a picture of her "new pet". :LOL:

Vito was a gorgeous dog K-girl. It hurts no matter how long they're gone for, human or pet.

K-Girl, Vito reminds me of my sister's GSD years ago, Simon. Similar markings and gentle nature. He was trained as a guard dog by our next door neighbour but only gentle commands. My sister and her friend went to California one summer and camped out. They took Simon with them and left him in the tent with most of their belongings either in the tent or the car beside it while they went swimming in the ocean. A guy tried to rob them. He went to the tent first and he was able to unzip the tent and go in. However, when he turned around, there was Simon between him and the entrance, just sitting there - no growling or barking. Some other people saw this and called the police. Simon sat there until my sister came and called him off (in German as that is how he was trained).

Last edited:
Violet on the other hand has aged terribly. She is afraid of everything and is very whiny and clingy. I also think she is more sore and lame than before they came. I am quite worried about her. I don't know what to do for her.

I was wondering if anyone has some thoughts on this. I feel so bad for Vi and helpless. The kids were gentle with her last time they were here, and she was okay, but still stayed close to me so I could protect her. And she is shaking at every single noise she hears.

I was wondering if anyone has some thoughts on this. I feel so bad for Vi and helpless. The kids were gentle with her last time they were here, and she was okay, but still stayed close to me so I could protect her. And she is shaking at every single noise she hears.

Poor Violet. Could she use a doggy antidepressant like Prozac? Or an anti-anxiety med? They're having a lot of success using people drugs on dogs.

My little Maltese is very snippy and snappy with strangers. Doesn't warm up easily. My next door neighbor is trying to make friends with him so he will let her pet him or pick him up.Three times now she has come over when we had him out and has been feeding him small pieces of deli turkey, with our permission. Guess what he's doing now? Standing at the door and barking to go out, then when we let him out he runs straight for her door. I guess her little ploy worked! LOL

My little Maltese is very snippy and snappy with strangers. Doesn't warm up easily. My next door neighbor is trying to make friends with him so he will let her pet him or pick him up.Three times now she has come over when we had him out and has been feeding him small pieces of deli turkey, with our permission. Guess what he's doing now? Standing at the door and barking to go out, then when we let him out he runs straight for her door. I guess her little ploy worked! LOL

Work with me too. But not for deli turkey. I have my standards.

It's amazing how quickly a dog can train its humans. ;)

Spike's Maltese Teddy is like that also. Very territorial. When someone comes in my house and heads over to talk to Spike, he will try to protect Spike by nipping at the person's ankles. But once he gets to know them, he just sleeps. He used to do it to me at first also. But I am more stern with him than Spike is. So when I give him a command, he listens and obeys. I allow him to have three barks, then he has to stop. He will start barking when someone is in the hall and headed toward my door. :angel:

Poor Violet. Could she use a doggy antidepressant like Prozac? Or an anti-anxiety med? They're having a lot of success using people drugs on dogs.

She's already on Tramodol and Meloxicam for pain and both are sedating. I would hate to drug her even more. But at the same time I don't like seeing her like this. I have to take Monkey in for her shots today so I may talk to the vet and see what he says.

Violet gets a good walk every morning and is free to go in and out of our small but adequate back yard most of the day and evening in the summer (we have a doggy door in our screen). She has severe displacia in both back hips - actually the worst our vet has ever seen where the dog is still walking and active. Her strong muscles are literally holding her up. We are not supposed to allow her to walk or run too much as she goes lame. We have her on lots of medication which seems to help. She used to be upset that she couldn't go for more walks, but I think she realizes now that she can't do it. She loves chasing the cat around though!

We have a thunder vest for her and have her on a special diet already for her allergies. They have talked about laser treatments for her legs but we have heard differing opinions on it's effectiveness.

She is actually settling down and not so whiny so I am wondering if she was just having some pain problems or even tummy troubles. She was even playing with her toys all on her own which she hasn't done since before the kids were here.

Thanks, kgirl for all your suggestions. I really to appreciate it.

Oh and water aerobics is offered around here but is really expensive.

Back
Top Bottom