Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of the dogs are little ones that just yap and jump, Tonks could take me out if she had a mind to. What's really funny is, she's a very shy dog and took me forever to make friends with her. T says she started looking for me as soon as she got in the door, he had to run after her.

Love the Horse stories, MC! I grew up with horses until I was out of high school, and sure do miss having them around.

MC, your story makes it clear that you and Horse have a special friendship. Thanks for sharing.

Now about this part:

Horse walks to heel (like a dog)....Horse has always been easy to train because he has the attitude that it's really too much trouble to disobey...
If only raising children were as simple...:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure Tonks didn't "recognize you from the back". I'd bet that she recognized the "perfume" you were wearing: Eau de Beggin' Strips.

I'm not kidding about how shy she is...and I know, she equates me with treats...so don't go messing up my quest for dog snot all over.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

My friend used to bring treats for my other dog every time she came to visit. One time we got to talking right away and she forgot about the dog. We looked over and he had his head completely inside her purse, looking for the treats! LOL

My friend used to bring treats for my other dog every time she came to visit. One time we got to talking right away and she forgot about the dog. We looked over and he had his head completely inside her purse, looking for the treats! LOL

The dogs come in the office and stare at the file drawer I keep the treats in, it's counter-weighted so they can't get it open.:LOL: Otherwise I would have to buy treats daily, instead of once a week.

MC I just want to know, what name did you register him with? I just love everything about horses. I love the beauty of watching them gallop with mane and tail flowing. And to watch their muscles ripple, well what can I say. I think horses are one of the most beautiful animals on earth.

Now I stand only 4'8" tall. When I worked the fair, I would take a set of reins in each hand and bring back two, to the barn when they were unhitched. They were the Clydesdale horses. And they knew what they were supposed to and which stall was theirs. The owner took two and his wife took the last two. His wife hated handling them and they sensed it. Always gave her a hard time. Not me or the owner. If I wasn't busy with the kids, I would go into the barn and brush their feathers. I was never afraid of them kicking me. I loved those horses. :angel:
His real name is Tetley. He came to me with it. He's an all-over rich chestnut colour (I think you call that sorrel?) and in the UK we have a brand of beer called Tetley's. When he came from Ireland he came without a name and at the time the riding school who imported him was calling its new horses after drinks - they had Brandy, Boddington (another make of beer), Hennessy, etc., etc. We also have a brand of tea bags called Tetley and he was once entered into a small horse show as "Sir Tetley Teabag". I've called him Horse on DC as I thought it might confuse the issue if I started talking about Tetley.

In all the years I've known him (about 19 - I've had him 14 years but knew him before) he's only kicked people twice. The first time was the night he arrived from Ireland after sea voyage and a long road journey. He'd had enough by the time he was unloaded and put in the stable and kicked out at the yard manager when she went to feed him. The second time was a few years back. He'd hurt himself and was in a lot of pain and didn't want to be bothered with having me muck out round him. He didn't really kick. He just put out a rear hoof and pushed me out of the way. He's done everything from giving rides to a 4 year old to hunting with a former Master of Draghounds who said he was the best hunter he'd ever ridden. Not bad since prior to taking him hunting he'd described Tetley as a lazy good-for-nothing! :LOL:

Last edited:
His real name is Tetley... in the UK we have a brand of beer called Tetley's. When he came from Ireland he came without a name and at the time the riding school who imported him was calling its new horses after drinks - they had Brandy, Boddington (another make of beer), Hennessy, etc., etc. We also have a brand of tea bags called Tetley and he was once entered into a small horse show as "Sir Tetley Teabag"....
Tetley and Boddington - both available here at our favorite Irish pub as well as the beer/wine/spirits store that we shop. When we're at the pub, we like getting either Tetley or Smithwick's since they have both on tap. Or Boddington. Or maybe Guinness...

We have Tetley tea here too, but it doesn't go as well with a burger or pizza as the beer does. ;)

I love the name Tetley. It just sounds so British. But then so does Lipton. We have a tea with a supposed picture of a Lord Lipton on it. He was said to be a great seaman. Must Google the name.

Tetley sounds like a dream horse. Any chance of a picture of him. I take it he is a gelding. He does sound so gentle. One time when I went on vacation (holiday) in Oregon. We decided to go horseback riding. The person I was with had never even been on a horse. It had been a number of years since I had been on one and I knew what was coming. I tried to warn the other person about the soreness. To no avail. We could have gone on the two hour ride, but no, it had to be the four hour one. My legs are just to short to cover the girth of the horse for a long ride. By hour three, I was ready to get off and walk the rest of the way. But I stuck it out. The next day my friend spent the day in bed except for the time spent trying to get to a hot shower hoping it would help. I was nice. I didn't laugh. (out loud that is!) :angel:

Tetley and Boddington - both available here at our favorite Irish pub as well as the beer/wine/spirits store that we shop. When we're at the pub, we like getting either Tetley or Smithwick's since they have both on tap. Or Boddington. Or maybe Guinness...

We have Tetley tea here too, but it doesn't go as well with a burger or pizza as the beer does. ;)
Until a few years ago Boddingtons was an independent brewery in Manchester (about ten miles from me) but I was bought up by a big brewery. Glad to hear the beer's still good.

I love the name Tetley. It just sounds so British. But then so does Lipton. We have a tea with a supposed picture of a Lord Lipton on it. He was said to be a great seaman. Must Google the name.

Tetley sounds like a dream horse. Any chance of a picture of him. I take it he is a gelding. He does sound so gentle. One time when I went on vacation (holiday) in Oregon. We decided to go horseback riding. The person I was with had never even been on a horse. It had been a number of years since I had been on one and I knew what was coming. I tried to warn the other person about the soreness. To no avail. We could have gone on the two hour ride, but no, it had to be the four hour one. My legs are just to short to cover the girth of the horse for a long ride. By hour three, I was ready to get off and walk the rest of the way. But I stuck it out. The next day my friend spent the day in bed except for the time spent trying to get to a hot shower hoping it would help. I was nice. I didn't laugh. (out loud that is!) :angel:
:LOL::LOL::LOL: Been there, done that!

Yes, he's a gelding. When he came from Ireland, aged 3, he was still entire and wasn't "cut" until he was four and a half. He was as gentle and quiet as a stallion as he is now as an elderly gelding. However, Mike (the stables'owner) bred horses in a small way when Tetley was a stallion and there were a lot of chestnut youngsters on the farm! He obviously learned what the equipment was for as he still has a small herd of 4 or 5 girlfriends in the summer! It's funny to watch him when he goes to the field, stands just inside the gate and whinnies loudly and the girls come running running from all over the 30 acre field!

This is him hunting with a friend, Bev, just popping a small fence. She wasn't a very good rider but with the combination of side saddle and Tetley she was safe as houses. It's the only one I have on my laptop and my PC, where the others are, has had to go to hospital.

File0003_large.jpg

NB this was drag hunting - no live quarry - but could be more hair-raising than fox-hunting depending on where the trail was laid! When the fox-hunting ban came in I asked a friend who'd hunted with fox hounds all her life if she 'd be going over to drag hunting. She looked appalled and said "Good grief, no. Drag hunting's far too dangerous"!

Last edited:
I think of all the equestrian events there are, Dressage is my favorite. Such discipline and training. For both the horse and rider. :angel:

I think of all the equestrian events there are, Dressage is my favorite. Such discipline and training. For both the horse and rider. :angel:
Dream horse indeed. If I'd set out to buy a horse like him I'd still be looking. When he was quite a baby we were out on a hack on the road through the village when a fire truck in full "bells and whistles" cry came round the corner. He just looked at it, registered it and carried on regardless. That's when I fell for him. He is, however, scared of tape measures, which causes a problem when he has to be measured for anything :-D

I'm trying to persuade Lauren, the young woman who has him on part loan at the moment, to try a bit of (low level) dressage with him as I think he'd enjoy it. He seems to like learning new things.

Oddly, in view of his jumping prowess in the hunting field he is absolutely useless at show jumping. We discovered only a few years ago that, before he came to England, he had fractured his pelvis. Although it is completely mended and doesn't bother him, he isn't very good at getting round some of the tight turns that you get in SJ so can't organise himself to get over the next jump. It suited me when I was riding because my way of thinking was that "One of us has to have our feet on the ground and mine aren't so his have to be".

Last edited:
Sorry, folks. I can bore for England when it comes to horses generally and my gorgeous boy in particular.

But that is what this thread is for. Our Pets! And Tetley is your pet. I have a penchant for large animals. Whether they be domesticated or wild. I am in love with elephants and the American Bison. Elephants for their intelligence and the capacity for emotional expressions. The bison for their brute strength and horses for their absolute beauty of their anatomy. :angel:

Sorry, folks. I can bore for England when it comes to horses generally and my gorgeous boy in particular.

Absolutely not, I enjoy reading about Tetley and his life with you. Love watching horses as they go about their various jobs and play.

I had a horse when I was younger and have ridden rarely since.

Back
Top Bottom