Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The family who own the stables where Tetley lives have had two GDs in the years I've been going there. Silk, the first one that I knew there was friendly but reserved with visitors to the yard. She wasn't possessive but she wasn't going to have any nonsense on her territory. She patrolled the yard at 10pm every night and if she thought you shouldn't be there she would stand in front of your car, refusing to let you leave until you gave a satisfactory account of yourself. The current one is a lollopy daft girl - anyone's for a cuddle and would show the burglars where the silver's hidden. Both were huge and needed a lot of exercise which, of course, having the run of the yard and a large area for walks off the lead they get. I've seen the current one running alongside the quad bike in the fields and keeping up.

Judging by those two, GDs have a good temperament but, like all dogs (and horses) if they don't know the rules they will be badly behaved and, at that size, dangerous. Kind but firm is the way to go as with all animals (including children ;))

Also, like all big dogs they don't live an enormously long life. I think Silk was about 9 or 10 but that was said to be an advanced age for a GD.

In the UK docking dogs tails and clipping their ears is illegal but I gather that both are still permitted under American law.

Great Dane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not on my watch, I don't believe in declawing cats, either.

Adoption Notice

Henrietta (aka "Mad Cook") is pleased to announce the imminent arrival of Rosie the Tuxedo Cat. She will move into her new abode tomorrow evening at 6pm.

The new servant has spent the morning cat-proofing the house and has been shopping for essentials. Still waiting for the parcel from ZooPlus ordered at the beginning of the week - large litter tray and litter, scratching post, and treats, etc.

I saw a very unhappy-looking cat on a YouTube video advertisement for the Litter Kwitter. The poor thing, who was supposed to be a seasoned Litter Kwitter user, looked most put out by the whole performance. It looked really uncomfortable while demonstrating the use of the human loo and the distraction and effort to balance while "performing" suggested that users might very well end up with a nasty case of cystis. Some bad reviews regarding length of time it took for cats to learn who to use it and the incidence of reversion to messing on the floor. We won't be having one of those!

Anyone using this method?

I'd better go and find some lunch before I faint with hunger!

She is such a cutie, MC! She has big white whiskers and eyebrows just like each of our tuxies did. I really miss having a cat, but I'm holding off until we move back to OH. We moved one from OH to MA and it wasn't the most fun drive we've ever had. :wacko: Really don't want to chance a re-run.

Enjoy Rosie and have fun with her once she moves into her new furever home.

I brought the kittens, in a carrier together, back from Mississippi with me, about 1300 miles, over a 2-day drive. Apart from about 10-15 minutes of yowing from the male when we first started out, they were little angels pretty much the entire time. Slept nearly the whole time in the car except for occasional periods when they'd wake up and fuss a little, and I'd just stick my fingers thru the carrier holes and pet them and talk to them, and they'd settle right back down. Of course, when we stopped for the night, they went absolutely bonkers chasing and playing with each other and me to use up all that energy stored during the day. They were just over 2 months old then.

They still travel well, even though have only been on short distance trips to vet and our new home.

I brought the kittens, in a carrier together, back from Mississippi with me, about 1300 miles, over a 2-day drive. Apart from about 10-15 minutes of yowing from the male when we first started out, they were little angels pretty much the entire time. Slept nearly the whole time in the car except for occasional periods when they'd wake up and fuss a little, and I'd just stick my fingers thru the carrier holes and pet them and talk to them, and they'd settle right back down. Of course, when we stopped for the night, they went absolutely bonkers chasing and playing with each other and me to use up all that energy stored during the day. They were just over 2 months old then.

They still travel well, even though have only been on short distance trips to vet and our new home.

I'll be cat proofing the back of the Subaru for my two on the travel to Wyoming (please let it be soon), with frequent stops for me they will get plenty of interaction.

I'll be cat proofing the back of the Subaru for my two on the travel to Wyoming (please let it be soon), with frequent stops for me they will get plenty of interaction.

Just be careful and don't let them get loose. The kittens just exploded from the carrier when I opened it. Good thing I had taken them in the bathroom of the hotel room and closed the door so that I'd be able to bring my overnight bag, laptop and food in without having to worry about them getting out, and also so that they'd be in a closed off space for a bit to find their litter box and use it before I let them have the run of the hotel room.

MC: Good luck with the new fur baby. And somewhere in this thread (I think) is my report on trying to get them to use the toilet.

Last edited:
One year I watch Crufts dog show and they mentioned that it was illegal in England to dock the tails. Hearing that was the best part of the whole show. :angel:

When I moved to Denmark in 1969, I was surprised to see poodles with uncropped tails. I was told that decorative cropping of tails and ears was illegal in Denmark.

does anyone here have a great dane for a pet? or know one? my daughter just bought a bernie great dane puppy. i know she is going to be one hell of a big girl, but what else should i know about this breed of dog? what sort of experiences, good/bad, have you had with your great dane? any and all of your input will be much appreciated.
The only thing I know is that in a big breed, it is important not to neuter a female too young. I believe they should go into heat before being neutered. Something not so good happens to their bone growth if they are neutered too young, so be sure to find out about that. Pacanis mentioned that, maybe even in this topic.

does anyone here have a great dane for a pet? or know one? my daughter just bought a bernie great dane puppy. i know she is going to be one hell of a big girl, but what else should i know about this breed of dog? what sort of experiences, good/bad, have you had with your great dane? any and all of your input will be much appreciated.

vit, I have no experience with a Great Dane, but here is some info on the breed. Sounds like a great family dog: http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/great-dane

The only thing I know is that in a big breed, it is important not to neuter a female too young. I believe they should go into heat before being neutered. Something not so good happens to their bone growth if they are neutered too young, so be sure to find out about that. Pacanis mentioned that, maybe even in this topic.
When I had my Alsatian/GSD bitch many years ago I queried this with the vet and he said it was a fallacy. She was "done " before her first season and suffered no ill effects. The jury is out. I suppose the vet will advise the OP

Last edited:
One year I watch Crufts dog show and they mentioned that it was illegal in England to dock the tails. Hearing that was the best part of the whole show. :angel:
The law is fairly recent - 2007. Not before time. Docking of horses was banned in 1949.

A friend has a young Rottweiler. It's funny how having a tail makes him look much less aggressive than his older cousins with no tails.

Just be careful and don't let them get loose. The kittens just exploded from the carrier when I opened it. Good thing I had taken them in the bathroom of the hotel room and closed the door so that I'd be able to bring my overnight bag, laptop and food in without having to worry about them getting out, and also so that they'd be in a closed off space for a bit to find their litter box and use it before I let them have the run of the hotel room.

MC: Good luck with the new fur baby. And somewhere in this thread (I think) is my report on trying to get them to use the toilet.
Fortunately, Rosie is two years old so it will only be a case of making sure she knows where it is. I'll be getting a cat flap fitted when she's been settled in for a couple of weeks as she prefers to "go" outside.

When I had my Alsatian/GSD bitch many years ago I queried this with the vet and he said it was a fallacy. She was "done " before her first season and suffered no ill effects. The jury is out. I suppose the vet will advise the OP
Great Danes are considered a "giant breed", a lot bigger than an Alsatian.

Yes, it's controversial, but I did say to find out about it. There are vets on both sides of the argument. The contention is that since estrogen is needed to tell the bones to stop growing, they don't in a giant breed bitch who was spayed early. It isn't just theoretical. Plenty of people have had that experience with their bitch. I don't know how common it is. I don't know if that risk outweighs the risks of waiting.

Great Danes are considered a "giant breed", a lot bigger than an Alsatian.

Yes, it's controversial, but I did say to find out about it. There are vets on both sides of the argument. The contention is that since estrogen is needed to tell the bones to stop growing, they don't in a giant breed bitch who was spayed early. It isn't just theoretical. Plenty of people have had that experience with their bitch. I don't know how common it is. I don't know if that risk outweighs the risks of waiting.
Oh yes, I know but the oestrogen argument was used about all breeds when I had Vashti - at least over here.

I have a custom made "wall" made with chain link fencing, fits the car and has a small opening that can be accessed in the car. I am training them now the only way in and out of it is in their carriers. Both cats have their own carriers, otherwise they fight. Brats!

Picked Rosie up at 6.30. Let her out of the carrier into the kitchen where food, toys, bed and litter tray were all set up. She retired behind my chair and sulked. I tried to tempt her out with cat treats which she sniffed at in disgust. Eventually I moved the chair and she deigned to eat six salmon treats and have a walk round. She is not very impressed especially when she discovered that she was expected to stay in the kitchen while I went to bed on my own.

The only thing that concerns me is that by the time I came to bed at 11.15pm she still hadn't used the litter tray despite having it shown to her twice and she was put into it once.

Back
Top Bottom