Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's why labs make such good seeing eye/service and hunting dogs. They take well to training, and are good listeners.

Last edited:
Yes. A friend of mine took her boxer to the same trainer we did and her dog was as responsive as ours - except for the incessant boxer slobber, of course ;)

Last edited:
Yes. A friend of mine took her boxer to the same trainer we did and her dog was as responsive as ours - except for the incessant boxer drooling, of course ;)
Jack was already three years old when we took him to the trainer. He responded well, as long as he was at the training camp. When we took him home, it was a different story. My husband and I discussed the training methods and my choice would have been to have the trainer come to the house. At the training camp, all the dog owners are also ''trained'', your neighbors might not be dog friendly people, or simply do not understand the canine species. So far the only ''enemy'' who comes close to the house is the mail-lady. She drives her little car like a maniac and that drives him crazy, but she is nice to him, anyway.

Jack was already three years old when we took him to the trainer. He responded well, as long as he was at the training camp. When we took him home, it was a different story. My husband and I discussed the training methods and my choice would have been to have the trainer come to the house. At the training camp, all the dog owners are also ''trained'', your neighbors might not be dog friendly people, or simply do not understand the canine species. So far the only ''enemy'' who comes close to the house is the mail-lady. She drives her little car like a maniac and that drives him crazy, but she is nice to him, anyway.

Have you tried rewarding good behavior and scolding for bad behavior? No petting, not treats, and turn your back on him after scolding. Just like humans, they need our love and approval. I would have wanted the trainer to come to the home also. They get to see the dogs environment and see in person what sets off his behavior problems. Is that option still open for you? :angel:

I think the issue is when Jack is being walked, and sees a cat, his natural instinct is to see it as prey and give chase. No amount of ignoring or treats is going to stop that instinct. A firm hand on the leash and a "stop", "no", or "leave it", maybe a treat if he quits pulling might help.

When a 23 lb beagle is strong enough to take me down, I can understand how difficult it would be to stop a 50-70 lb dog!

I took care of a Saint Bernard for a while. Thank goodness he didn't try to pull me. It was a joy walking him after the huskies. Now imagine how much fun it was carrying home groceries on snowy sidewalks with a husky. :ohmy:

Cree
I think the issue is when Jack is being walked, and sees a cat, his natural instinct is to see it as prey and give chase. No amount of ignoring or treats is going to stop that instinct. A firm hand on the leash and a "stop", "no", or "leave it", maybe a treat if he quits pulling might help.

When a 23 lb beagle is strong enough to take me down, I can understand how difficult it would be to stop a 50-70 lb dog!

That's why the training has to be constant and consistent, every single time. You stop walking, jerk the leash, and say firmly "Here!" Pull the dog to your side and make them sit, with a treat if necessary, to reward them for sitting. Make sure you have their attention. Then start walking and say firmly, repeatedly, "Walk here. Walk here." Keep them by your side. Praise them for staying by you.

Do this every time they start to chase something. It might take a week. It might take two or three weeks. They will learn that they just aren't allowed to chase something and will stop trying. You have to be more persistent than they are.

Last edited:
Have you tried rewarding good behavior and scolding for bad behavior? No petting, not treats, and turn your back on him after scolding. Just like humans, they need our love and approval. I would have wanted the trainer to come to the home also. They get to see the dogs environment and see in person what sets off his behavior problems. Is that option still open for you? :angel:
Yes, the option of a home trainer is still open. Thank you so kindly for all your wonderful advice.

I'm sorry I cannot suggest any dog training tips. I just hopped in here to tell you that Jack is a very handsome dog! Good luck with getting him to obey. I haven't had any success with my husband yet...:D

I hear ya, CG. Just when I thought all my dogs were on their best behavior, leash trained, etc., they quickly learned that DH would allow them a free-for-all.

We need a husband obedience school.

Come to think of it, Teddy will try to chase every squirrel he sees. Even if it is across the street. Spike has complete control on his leash. Of course it is much easier when you consider the size of Spike and that of Teddy. Teddy will never win. And I have to give Spike credit for training him starting when he was just eight weeks old. But you cannot train instinct out of any animal. :angel:

I took care of a Saint Bernard for a while. Thank goodness he didn't try to pull me. It was a joy walking him after the huskies. Now imagine how much fun it was carrying home groceries on snowy sidewalks with a husky. :ohmy:

SBs usually are mellow and walkable, and aren't into bunnies and are usually good with cats, but huskies are used to pulling sleds! :ohmy: That must have been interesting.

Come to think of it, Teddy will try to chase every squirrel he sees. Even if it is across the street. Spike has complete control on his leash. Of course it is much easier when you consider the size of Spike and that of Teddy. Teddy will never win. And I have to give Spike credit for training him starting when he was just eight weeks old. But you cannot train instinct out of any animal. :angel:

Dogs all are bred for different things, and it's difficult to take them from what they're supposed to do. That's why labs and shepherds make great service dogs, beagles are great for sniffing out agricultural products at airports, and bedbugs (usually no bunnies for distraction), and the other working dogs like huskies all do their jobs so well. Beagle would make a horrid seeing eye dog, I could just see her dragging her master down the street in pursuit of a rabbit.

Boxers are working dogs, and it would be hard for them to accept outdoor cats, as they see them as prey. If raised with their own personal cat as a puppy, usually they'll do fine. Otherwise, leashes. And strong owners.

SBs usually are mellow and walkable, and aren't into bunnies and are usually good with cats, but huskies are used to pulling sleds! :ohmy: That must have been interesting.
Sasha was fine as long as I didn't get distracted, like balancing grocery bags. The instant I got distracted, she knew, and off she'd go. It was more fun when the sidewalks were slippery. :ermm:

That reminds me of this:

victoria-house.jpg

We've reached a milestone today. We actually had Abbie and Salem in the same room! Abbie basically ignored the cat as long as I was in the room and Salem stayed calmly sitting on top of the tall dresser and not scurrying under the bed. Later this morning, I was downstairs reading the paper and I heard Abbie head upstairs to the bedroom where she began barking at the cat who again sat calmly on top of the dresser. This may actually work! I've worried all week about the 2 of them getting along.

Back
Top Bottom