Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we first got our black Lab, one of our cats didn't come downstairs for an entire year. Then we went on vacation. We had friends who took care of the dog at their house and a neighbor came in to feed the cats. After that week,the cat started coming downstairs. I think having to go through the house to eat, without the dog there, got her used to the smell and she felt safe. After that, they eventually became good buddies.

Beagle would absolutely LOVE her own cat. When we visit BIL he has a lovely Himalayan left over from one of his ex wives, and the cat constantly tantalizes her. As soon as Beagle gets too close, the cat hisses and swats.

The cat already has her own dog that lives with her, and it's a breed that I'm not familiar with, a lemon pointer. They usually stay on separate floors.

Last edited:
Have you considered working DH's brother and Rusty. See if he is willing to sit and just pat him for a few minutes each time he comes. That is what I did with Pirate. Now Teddy runs to him as soon as he comes into the room. He used to run to me first. Hmm. I am Mifft!! :angel:

Addie, the BIL is the problem more than the dog. He has never been a dog-lover. He refuses to pet him and does more to push him away than try to relate to him. The BIL is strange, to put it mildly. DH thinks when BIL pushes Rusty away Rusty thinks he's playing and keeps barking at him. His tail is UP and WAGGING.

Abbie has calmed down a lot. She's very quiet during the day. Often will lay in her crate if I am busy doing other things. She's learning to leave things alone too. Still likes to chew but I've got several chew toys that she goes to now instead of stuff she shouldn't have. She likes to tear up tissues and paper yet. She gets very excited with new places and people and dogs. We'll have to work on that! She loves to be petted and has the most sorrowful gaze when she needs loving. I don't think she and Salem (the cat) will have problems getting along once Salem gets used to having Abbie around. We need to decide by Sunday if we are going to keep Abbie. I have a feeling she's here to stay.

Abbie has calmed down a lot. She's very quiet during the day. Often will lay in her crate if I am busy doing other things. She's learning to leave things alone too. Still likes to chew but I've got several chew toys that she goes to now instead of stuff she shouldn't have. She likes to tear up tissues and paper yet. She gets very excited with new places and people and dogs. We'll have to work on that! She loves to be petted and has the most sorrowful gaze when she needs loving. I don't think she and Salem (the cat) will have problems getting along once Salem gets used to having Abbie around. We need to decide by Sunday if we are going to keep Abbie. I have a feeling she's here to stay.[/QUOTE]

:wub: I think so too. They do have a way of growing on your emotions. :angel:

I don't trust people who don't like dogs...

I have always heard "Don't trust anyone that your dog doesn't like." Although my BIL has some very weird ways, I don't think he's untrustworthy. With every dog we had, he always thought the dog was going to bite him. That's how my MIL was, too. We don't get a lot of company other than BIL. I just think Rusty has not been socialized enough. He was in a house with 61 other dogs....he's great with other animals. LOL

I have always heard "Don't trust anyone that your dog doesn't like." Although my BIL has some very weird ways, I don't think he's untrustworthy. With every dog we had, he always thought the dog was going to bite him. That's how my MIL was, too. We don't get a lot of company other than BIL. I just think Rusty has not been socialized enough. He was in a house with 61 other dogs....he's great with other animals. LOL

Your dog is right.They have super dog abilities.That's why their so special.
I've asked people who have had issues to the point that when they came over to my house un announced to not come back over.

They would tell me to put the dogs away so that they could visit.
I told them no.Were a pak. I'll come over to your house later when and if I get the chance.Have a nice day.:ohmy:

Munky, I used to be a semi not so crazy about dogs person. Mainly big dogs. I would always stand still and let them come to me. Today I am still nervous around big dogs. I have been bitten by three of them. One time two broke from their rope while tied up in their front yard and came for me as I was walking by on the other side of the street.

Small dogs I am fine with. I stand still while I talk to the them and let them smell me hand at my side. They can smell Teddy on my hands as I am always playing with him every chance I get. There is a dog that lives one street over. He walks his owner by this building twice a day. If I am sitting outside, he drags his owner onto the property so I can give him scratchies. :angel:

My mother was raised to be afraid of dogs. She never really got over it. She thought it was stupid, so she went out of her way to make sure that my sister and I weren't afraid of dogs. Dogs loved her. They would come out of their way to stand next to her and wag their tales. She just stood still as a statue.

For a while, I was sort of afraid of little dogs. Too many of them chewed on my ankles and got between my feet and nearly tripped me. Never had an issue with medium to huge dogs.

My mother was raised to be afraid of dogs. She never really got over it. She thought it was stupid, so she went out of her way to make sure that my sister and I weren't afraid of dogs. Dogs loved her. They would come out of their way to stand next to her and wag their tales. She just stood still as a statue.

For a while, I was sort of afraid of little dogs. Too many of them chewed on my ankles and got between my feet and nearly tripped me. Never had an issue with medium to huge dogs.

This is still a problem with Teddy. All of us have been very firm with him for this behavior. He only des it when you first come into my apartment. He only stops if you turn quickly and tell him "NO" in a firm voice. We think it is because he wants your immediate attention. If you acknowledge him as soon as you enter, he won't do it.

Silly dog! Spike has him trained so that any time they are leaving a building, Spike always go first. I have to say, Spike has done a great job training his dog. What he didn't know, he looked up on the internet. He got Teddy when he was just eight weeks old. But this dog does do some crazy things that leave us wondering.

I make sure he has fresh water ever time he is here. Yet as soon as he gets outside he heads for dirty puddles and won't quit drinking until all the water is gone.

Spike cut up a nice dish of rare roast beef in his bowl at home. Hasn't touched it yet. He gets here and can't get enough fried eggplant, spaghetti, bean sprouts, salmon, pizza, anything one of us are eating except for mushrooms. Does Not Like Mushrooms! :angel:

My Rusty needs some training. He is ok if people are in our driveway or in the next yard. He just barks at them with his tail wagging, like he's saying Hi. But if they come onto our porch or into our house he barks incessantly and growls, and sometimes actually scares me. I know he's being protective, but I think he should realize when we openly welcome someone into our home, they are OK. I really need to find a way to change this behavior. We know a guy who trains police dogs for a living. Next time I see him I might ask for advice.

Well, we still need to finish all the paperwork but Abbie is staying. Salem is still hanging out upstairs and won't come down but is perfectly comfortable in the upstairs rooms. She still hisses at Abbie on occasion and we try to keep them apart for now but we took down the barrier and let them come and go as they please. We plan on taking Abbie to obedience training soon. Just need to find the right class that fits our schedule. I hope it won't take too much longer for Salem to realize Abbie's here to stay and will get used to the new family member. I really don't like the litter box in my bathroom upstairs. It's a small bathroom so the box is smaller than the cat is used to. She's always been very vigorous in her covering techniques so we have litter ALL OVER the bathroom. Not nice on the bare feet after a shower or in the middle of the night. No matter how much I sweep, I can't seem to get it all.

Shreddy was very vigorous with covering his business in the cat box when he was a kitten. We got a covered litter box. That really helped.

Shreddy was very vigorous with covering his business in the cat box when he was a kitten. We got a covered litter box. That really helped.

We don't want to buy another right now. We're hoping she'll eventually get back to coming downstairs to use her regular one that sits in the kneehole of an unused desk. The stray litter collects in the back corners and is not underfoot. But in our small bathroom upstairs, there's not really a good spot to put it. Doing some reading about it and many places recommend avoiding covered boxes with dogs in the house. Cats may feel cornered in the box and start going other places. I'd rather put up with litter on the floor than pee and poop outside the box!

jabbur, Abbie is a real cutie! She's very lucky to get you for her family. Salem will just have to adjust. If she likes a certain treat (even if it's something like lunch meat), maybe it's time to bribe her by offering her that special treat downstairs only. I hope it's no time at all before they're curled up together napping.

Back
Top Bottom