Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do currently have a cat. I never wanted a cat. But, about 8 years ago it showed up at my back door while I was grilling burgers, and it was nearly starved to death. Someone had dropped it off in the neighborhood, I presume. (There a topic for the pet peeve thread.) so, like a compassionate idiot, I fed the thing and it hasn't left our house since then. We had it spayed (last thing I want is more of them) and we take it to the vet for shots and whatever it needs.

We never really bothered to name it, so we just call her "Kitty". She's part of the family, now, and all of our grandkids love her. (She is a very affectionate cat.) She's a Halloween calico with a very pretty coat, and she's small for a full grown cat.

Hope I never have another pet.

Halloween cat? I haven't heard of that before. Is it another term for a tortoise shell?

Our Bella, a tortie.
2017-04-21-17-45-22.jpg

I think Arwen is another variation of a tortoise shell.
0224172134a_HDR.jpg

And Stryder is an honorary tortie ;)
0301171326a_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
My grandmother had a cocker spaniel when I was a kid. She had had it since before I was born. That dog HATED everyone except my grandma and one of my uncles. It was MEAN. It had to be Locked up when anyone came over. A few times, I showed up (with my family) and it got out and attacked me and my older brother. One of my earliest childhood memories; I was probably about 3 or 4.

I blame that dog for my lifelong fear and distrust of dogs, and animals, in general.

I do currently have a cat. I never wanted a cat. But, about 8 years ago it showed up at my back door while I was grilling burgers, and it was nearly starved to death. Someone had dropped it off in the neighborhood, I presume. (There a topic for the pet peeve thread.) so, like a compassionate idiot, I fed the thing and it hasn't left our house since then. We had it spayed (last thing I want is more of them) and we take it to the vet for shots and whatever it needs.

We never really bothered to name it, so we just call her "Kitty". She's part of the family, now, and all of our grandkids love her. (She is a very affectionate cat.) She's a Halloween calico with a very pretty coat, and she's small for a full grown cat.

Hope I never have another pet.

Cocker Spaniels have had a reputation of not being a very friendly dog to other people other than their owners. They certainly do not like children.

Halloween cat? I haven't heard of that before. Is it another term for a tortoise shell?

Our Bella, a tortie.

View attachment 26711

I think Arwen is another variation of a tortoise shell.

View attachment 26709

And Stryder is an honorary tortie ;)

View attachment 26710

Similar to the tortoise color but with almost no white in the coat. She has a beautiful little yellow patch on her nose, and then mostly darker colors; black, grey, brown, even a little orange, but not bright orange.

Cocker Spaniels have had a reputation of not being a very friendly dog to other people other than their owners. They certainly do not like children.

I don't know about that. Most I've known are very sweet. My mom's cocker just happened to be a jerk. Cockers were quite popular for a long time, and had all the brains bred out of them. I had two very sweet rescue cockers, one was dumber than dirt, the other very feisty, but they both loved kids and other people and animals. A teacher friend has 3 of the sweetest cockers who are also very good with people.

Sweet torties, GG.

Last edited:
We had a Cocker Spaniel. Dad got her to for hunting, was starting to train her when another hunter said "is she Gun Shy?" and fired off a shotgun right next to the puppy's head. My mom had to physically restrain dad from shooting the guy. So "Skippy" was never used for hunting.
She didn't particularly like kids but tolerated us (there were 5 of us, kids). Mom said at the time I was crawling I was taking food from her dish... she came up and bit me, Mom said I didn't cry, just crawled away, did a circle and came up behind her and bit her stubby little tail. At that point she decided to step in before it escalated into a blood bath! :LOL: too bad they didn't have cell phone cameras in them thar days!

:LOL: dragn! I guess it was a draw. My dad took our cocker hunting too, once. One shot, and he took off. Took Dad a few hours to find him. He didn't go hunting anymore either.

Last edited:
There is a CS living right across the street from this building. Every time a person leaves the building, someone gets out of a car, you can hear him bark and growl. And don't walk by the window or he gets spastic! Summer time is coming and when the folks here sit out on the patio, he is going to have a heart attack. He barks and growls the whole time he can hear their voices. The poor owner has to close the window.

He is not the first CS I have seen that doesn't like folks. In fact I have never seen a friendly one. I think I would rather take my chances with a pit bull.

There is a CS living right across the street from this building. Every time a person leaves the building, someone gets out of a car, you can hear him bark and growl. And don't walk by the window or he gets spastic! Summer time is coming and when the folks here sit out on the patio, he is going to have a heart attack. He barks and growls the whole time he can hear their voices. The poor owner has to close the window.

He is not the first CS I have seen that doesn't like folks. In fact I have never seen a friendly one. I think I would rather take my chances with a pit bull.
Himself grew up with three Cockers, one at a time. They were all friendly and loved all the kids in the neighborhood. The only one I knew was Dutch, and that wasn't until I was a sophomore in high school. Our dog was half Cocker, half English Springer. She, as well at Dutch, would lick you to death before she/he nipped you. I wonder if the Cocker across the street isn't so much a mean dog as a lonely dog. He sees people outside - he's stuck inside. He maybe wants to go outside and play rather than watch everyone else have fun. I kinda feel sorry for the guy. Maybe that owner should leash their dog and take him for a walk.

Himself grew up with three Cockers, one at a time. They were all friendly and loved all the kids in the neighborhood. The only one I knew was Dutch, and that wasn't until I was a sophomore in high school. Our dog was half Cocker, half English Springer. She, as well at Dutch, would lick you to death before she/he nipped you. I wonder if the Cocker across the street isn't so much a mean dog as a lonely dog. He sees people outside - he's stuck inside. He maybe wants to go outside and play rather than watch everyone else have fun. I kinda feel sorry for the guy. Maybe that owner should leash their dog and take him for a walk.

The owner does take him out about three times a day. I just think he has never been socialized. One time I did see him with a muzzle over his snout. I have no idea what that was all about. I don't understand why dog owners don't socialize their pet.

As a puppy, Teddy started to nip at your ankles if you walked away from him. He was looking for attention. He still tries it, but with just his nose. He will go right behind you and push on your ankle now with his nose when he wants attention. I have to give Spike credit for raising his dog the right way. Teddy has been totally socialized. But if he thinks Spike or any one of us are in danger of being hurt by another person, he goes after the offender.

I've met very few mean dogs. Rambunctious and territorial mostly if they're out of control. We did have a St. Bernard up at the lake who'd been hit by a car and had brain damage, we had to watch out for him. The owners just let him roam. He was pre-Cujo-like. Then there's the weimeraner who tries to ambush Beagle on our road. We've talked her owner into finally keeping her leashed. She's great with people though. Just not other dogs.

Last edited:
I don't know about that. Most I've known are very sweet. My mom's cocker just happened to be a jerk. Cockers were quite popular for a long time, and had all the brains bred out of them. I had two very sweet rescue cockers, one was dumber than dirt, the other very feisty, but they both loved kids and other people and animals. A teacher friend has 3 of the sweetest cockers who are also very good with people.

Sweet torties, GG.

My sister had a cocker spaniel named Heather that I called Odie, after the dog in the Garfield cartoons. My sister hated that, but it was actually very accurate. Dumbest dog I've ever encountered. She was like a puppy that never became a dog.

My dog would be taking a nap, and "Odie" would decide she wanted to play, and would swat my dog in the face with her big, fat paw. My dog would look at me, as if asking for permission, and if I didn't stop her, she would open up a can of woopass on "Odie." My sister didn't like it, but couldn't argue that it wasn't a well deserved asswhooping.

CD

The first pet that my kids had was a cocker spaniel miniature collie mix. He was good with the family and close friends, but he was protective of the kids when people he didn't know were around. Never attacked or tried to bite them, though.

This is a tale of pet loyalty and love.. If its TMI, please forgive me..

Years ago my first wife rescued the runt of the litter from a puppy farm.. She named him Pepe after Pepe Le Pew..She nurtured that little guy and he became 'her' dog.. He was always near her and he would yap at anyone who came to the door or came near her.. He wasn't the entire family's favorite but, we all got used to him..

Twelve years later, my wife was diagnosed with inoperable cancer.. The dog never left her side.. Still protected her.. Eventually we were told that she should be in hospice.. I said no.. I outfitted the sun room with hospital bed and all the things she would need.. At the end of her days, Pepe knew.. When she passed, Doctor, nurses, etc. came to the house.. Pepe didn't let out a peep.. We didn't know where he was, in the confusion.. I found him under the bed.. For the rest of Pepe's life he never yapped... He became as loving to the family as he was to my wife..

That's pet love and loyalty..

Ross

Years ago my first wife rescued the runt of the litter from a puppy farm.. She named him Pepe after Pepe Le Pew..She nurtured that little guy and he became 'her' dog.. He was always near her and he would yap at anyone who came to the door or came near her.. He wasn't the entire family's favorite but, we all got used to him..

Twelve years later, my wife was diagnosed with inoperable cancer.. The dog never left her side.. Still protected her.. Eventually we were told that she should be in hospice.. I said no.. I outfitted the sun room with hospital bed and all the things she would need.. At the end of her days, Pepe knew.. When she passed, Doctor, nurses, etc. came to the house.. Pepe didn't let out a peep.. We didn't know where he was, in the confusion.. I found him under the bed.. For the rest of Pepe's life he never yapped... He became as loving to the family as he was to my wife..

Ross
That's a beautiful story, Ross. Thank you for sharing.

Ross

I read an article yesterday, that pets, specially dogs, know when a patient is dying. A nursing home had a pet dog that roamed the hallways. Whenever a patient was nearing the end of their life, the dog would just start to stay by their bedside. Sure enough, in a couple of days, the patients expired.

When my SIL was diagnosed with Non-Hodgins Lymphoma, the doctors gave him only weeks to live. He was in Stage Four when they found the cancer. Their little Westie wouldn't leave his side. And then we knew why. He would get very upset when SIL had to go each week for his chemo treatment. Sat by the door until he came home each time. I like to think that it was the dog's devotion that made SIL pull through.

Then my daughter came down with brain cancer. The Westie behaved in the same manner. The only difference was my daughter took her chemo in pill form each week at home. She would get so sick. The Westie stayed there next to the bed and refused to leave. My SIL had to bring his water and food bowl into the bedroom. When he went out for his daily walk, he did his business in a hurry so he could get back inside to his self appointment post.

I honestly believe our pets know so much more than we give them credit for. The Westie is still devoted to both my SIL and daughter. He totally ignores their two kids. One lives of the first floor and the other in the basement apartment. He has his corner in each room that he follows my daughter to. And if my SIL is going to work in the garage, he goes right with him and just stays in his corner. Yeah, pets know. We need to learn to pay attention to what they are telling us.

Looks like I'll be adding a pet to the household. Our graddaughter who is living with us has a pet Chihuahua she left with her mom when she moved here. She misses it. The other day I got the whole sad eyed "I miss my dog" speech. SO coached her well. She knows I'm a pushover. So, Pico will be flying up here with my DIL for Mother's Day. I've never been a fan of tiny dogs but we'll see how it goes.

Looks like I'll be adding a pet to the household. Our graddaughter who is living with us has a pet Chihuahua she left with her mom when she moved here. She misses it. The other day I got the whole sad eyed "I miss my dog" speech. SO coached her well. She knows I'm a pushover. So, Pico will be flying up here with my DIL for Mother's Day. I've never been a fan of tiny dogs but we'll see how it goes.
Good luck, Andy. I love dogs, but yappy little ones are not my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom