Our Second Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
on the Island of Hvar Croatia, I lookat them when the weather is foul here in Wales http://photobucket.com/bolashvar

Interesting pics. What are the stainless steel drums? Do you brew your own?
The fireplace I bet is really good during winter for spit-roasting :pig:

Who needs a swimming pool when you have the sea? Same here with ours in Arginonta.

Super pics. Thank you for sharing them.
(Must share mine sometime)

Interesting pics. What are the stainless steel drums? Do you brew your own?
The fireplace I bet is really good during winter for spit-roasting :pig:

Who needs a swimming pool when you have the sea? Same here with ours in Arginonta.

Super pics. Thank you for sharing them.
(Must share mine sometime)
Olive oil and wine, the wooden handle in the pic is a very old press we use for both, the seahouse is used in the height of the summer when the heat and tourist get to much.

The BBQ house is at my Brother in Laws, we dont spit roast we use a Peka:)
The sea around Croatia is officially the cleanest in the med fish stocks are good so good that the Italians try to fish it illegaly, 6 trawlers were arrested last year.

I would like to see your pics Poppi, we spend quite a bit of time in Greece.
DSCF0387.jpgbreakfast

Olive oil and wine, the wooden handle in the pic is a very old press we use for both, the seahouse is used in the height of the summer when the heat and tourist get to much.

The BBQ house is at my Brother in Laws, we dont spit roast we use a Peka:)
The sea around Croatia is officially the cleanest in the med fish stocks are good so good that the Italians try to fish it illegaly, 6 trawlers were arrested last year.

I would like to see your pics Poppi, we spend quite a bit of time in Greece.
View attachment 8844breakfast

:) I thought those drums looked familiar. Instead because I haven't the time, have my olives commercially pressed in Pothia. Last winter had gotten 10 gallons from our trees. We get dates, too and figs. Yummy both, but the date palm was infested with spiders. Can't stand spiders.

Tourists used to wander into my garden in Arginonta. And sit. If they were like - retired looking, I'd make them tea and homemade cookies and bring out cut watermelon on plate. Last time I was there, some tourists' children were playing among the trees, so reminding me of my childhood days. I let them be.

Our sea also is very pure, like your homeland's. Last time we went fishing, one of us caught a small swordfish. That was wonderful later on as we had a barbie and invited our neighbours. Are your neighbours good? They are a godsend where I am. While I'm away they help themselves to oranges and lemons, and figs. But always dry some down for me. I love them. They're like, in their 80's. One of them reminds me of dear old Grandpa.

After poor Mummy died I was left two properties. One in Arginonta, the other in Crete. The Crete place looks like a film set, but feels soulless. I rent it out. But the home in "Argy" is just lovely.

I'd have a Mythos with you antime, friend. :)

This is my back yard in Argy. Just the one pic as otherwise I'll spam your thread. later, I'll post a seperate one of my own.

So much to answer, the bulk of the olives and grapes are sold to a co-op, my bro in law likes to keep up the old methods for the family only.
Neighbours, Hvar Town is an international jetset resort we get yachts with people like Abramovich, the queen of Morocco ect in the harbor, the bulk of the people in the town have one interest MONEY.

The SeaHouse, the nearest neighbour is about 1 mile away, we do get the odd tourist in a boat anchoring in our cove, we welcome them we had an American family from LA who wanted to rent it, they were put off when we showed them the well for drinking water also the fact that there is no electricity and only one bathroom.
Sorry about your Mum.
When we are at the seahouse we take out a small boat every day to fish, the nearest shop is 10 miles away, last year a track was put in so we could drive the car down to the house, before that we had to park 1 mile away and load Loopy2 the donkey with provisions.
Figs grow wild we have orange and lemon trees in my nieces and her husbands second home in Starigrad you cant see them through the olive trees,croatia 2010 014.jpg they work in Trogir the city has Greek ruins that predate the Roman ruins, he is the curator of the museum, he speaks and writes ancient Greek and was a very good middleweight boxer.
I was born in the UK my wife is Croatian, she was a Maitre D on Celebrity Cruise Line, she speaks 7 languages including Greek.

I like your back yard, a perfect place to eat drink and sleep:)

he speaks ancient greek and is a pugilist in the sweet science?

lol. :rolleyes:

he must float like a lepidoptera, and sting like a hermanoptera... :mrgreen:

So much to answer, the bulk of the olives and grapes are sold to a co-op, my bro in law likes to keep up the old methods for the family only.
Neighbours, Hvar Town is an international jetset resort we get yachts with people like Abramovich, the queen of Morocco ect in the harbor, the bulk of the people in the town have one interest MONEY.

The SeaHouse, the nearest neighbour is about 1 mile away, we do get the odd tourist in a boat anchoring in our cove, we welcome them we had an American family from LA who wanted to rent it, they were put off when we showed them the well for drinking water also the fact that there is no electricity and only one bathroom.
Sorry about your Mum.
When we are at the seahouse we take out a small boat every day to fish, the nearest shop is 10 miles away, last year a track was put in so we could drive the car down to the house, before that we had to park 1 mile away and load Loopy2 the donkey with provisions.
Figs grow wild we have orange and lemon trees in my nieces and her husbands second home in Starigrad you cant see them through the olive trees, they work in Trogir the city has Greek ruins that predate the Roman ruins, he is the curator of the museum, he speaks and writes ancient Greek and was a very good middleweight boxer.
I was born in the UK my wife is Croatian, she was a Maitre D on Celebrity Cruise Line, she speaks 7 languages including Greek.

I like your back yard, a perfect place to eat drink and sleep:)

You write so feelingly, Bolas. Me, the same. I miss my country so acutely and even now I've wiped a tear off my cheek because that house and its olive trees are so evocative.

Money has come to Kalymnos too, and was mostly spent carving a road between my village and Vathi, but nobody's been paid yet and will have to wait until the elections begin again. Meanwhile, life goes on as it's always done in the sleepy little village. In the basement I have marinated olives packed in jars, and sweet peppers - liutenitza - sunshine waiting to be tasted when the January rains set in.

My back yard has two ovens. One is old and was used by Grandmama for making hearth breads, the other, I use for souvlaki and bbq. When last home I had all my neighbours round and spit-roasted a pig and a goat which took all day. You just can't hurry these activities. As the sun went down we lit the torches, sung Kalymnian folk songs and I played my Martin acoustic. Bolas of course you wouldn't know that my terrible stammer causes me to be almost mute, but when I sing out, that's when I find my voice again. And those like me who were left behind, we sing about our loved ones who have gone before. It's a comforting thing.

he speaks ancient greek and is a pugilist in the sweet science?

lol. :rolleyes:

he must float like a lepidoptera, and sting like a hermanoptera... :mrgreen:
:LOL: ahah a wordsmith, you have me at a disadvantage sir, for I am a mere pule.

Back
Top Bottom