"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
Master Chef
Talking Our visitor at our reunion this past weekend

One comes up to us every year. This one wanted a hot dog and he evidentually got what he wanted. These are not zoomed in on, it came right up to us. Funny little guy

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coon1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1620   Click image for larger version

Name:	coon2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1621  

Click image for larger version

Name:	coon3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1622  

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
Master Chef
A friend of mine had a raccoon for a visitor in the middle of the night. It has been hot here lately and she left the door open with just the screen door closed. The little pest pulled the screen door off its hinges. Luckily, she had a baby gate up to keep the dog from getting out and for some reason the raccoon did not climb over it.

Raccoons are cute until the get into your ice chest and eat all your food. This happened to me and some friends on a camping trip when we made the silly mistake of leaving the ice chest outside the car at night.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
Head Chef
Raccoons are very smart and can be pests that do damage. My Mom had one for a pet many years ago and he was a real handful! They are also one of the biggest carriers of rabies, so please be careful around them.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:09 AM   #4
Master Chef
eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i SCREAMED when i saw one of those in our yard!!!!!!!!!!!!! ew-ewwww-ewww-ew-ew-ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they chewed our garbage.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:10 AM   #5
Hospitality Queen
Cute guy!
We've got a big one around here. He never bothers anyone, and he's never shown up in our back yard, so we leave him be. I like the fact that they'll eat bugs out of your yard.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:19 AM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Originally Posted by jkath
I like the fact that they'll eat bugs out of your yard.
Same with skunks. A lot of people don't know that they will eat bees. If you have skunks in your area and you don't want them in your yard, make sure you don't leave dry cat food out on your porch or in your yard (I would assume dog food too) because skunks like it too. (I love skunks!)

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:57 AM   #7
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Awww, how adorable!! I wish a cute visitor like him would come to see us now and then!!

Speaking of skunks, that brought me back a funny memory we had at Borders where I worked back in San Antonio, the unforgettable "Operation Pepè le Pew"... one little guy just roamed into our shop and made himself comfy at the foyer one day. He was just minding his own business but our store manager didn't take to the idea of having a skunk hanging out in the foyer. Therefore she ordered one of our colleagues "Ken" to coax this little offender into a box and carry him outside. Well... "the inevitable" happened, and it was just incredible how such a tiny guy could stink up the entire Borders in an instance!! (if you are familiar with them, it is a very, very large store!!)
Now "Ken" had to go home immediately to take an intense shower, then to have the inside of his car professionally deodorized, the store manager had to call in a proper animal control (which she should have done in the first place), who whisked him away and took him to a safe forest area. Then she had to close the shop for the rest of the day "for an unexpected emergency" to have the shop deodorized, however we could still smell the faint waft of skunk for the next several days....
The little guy was really cute and adorable and I could imagine some people get them "fixed" and have them as a pet, and surely we owed it to him for an unexpected half day off, too!!
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #8
Master Chef
Cute pics!

Since we've moved in town I haven't seen any. In our old house in the country we saw them all the time. In fact, I looked forward every year to see big momma with her new litter trailing behind her.

One year one got into our garage and we didn't know it. DH and I were heading out there. Our garage was attached to the house and you had to go up a few stairs from the family room to enter it. Anyway, DH was in front of me.........opened the door....got one foot on a stair and immediately turned to me and shoved his hand into my chest shoving me back and he slammed the door and said, "There's a freakin raccoon hanging onto the door. Well needless to say I fell to the floor laughing my xxx off and about peed my pants from the whole thing. One of my sons and I ran outside and peered into the garage window and sure enough there he was hanging onto the outside door right at the top of the stairs. Had DH not noticed and taken another step that raccoon could of whacked him in the head. Or beater yet he could of waited and jumped on his back. I'll never forget the look on DH face as long as I live and I still get to snickering when I think of it. Thanks for the reminder and giggle.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Years ago, one of my friends had a big ol' masked bandit take up residence in their front doorway. Needless to say, they had to call animal control to get it, as it just wasn't acting quite right. Now that I'm older, and more experienced, I believe it was in the early stages of Rabies.

Even though I currently live "in town", I'm just on the outskirts of town, and there are open and wooded areas practically on all sides of me. I've seen raccoons, skunks, possums, and rabbits. I'm surprised that I HAVEN'T seen any deer, as deer are everywhere here. We even had a deer jump through a plate glass window downtown (about a mile away) a couple months ago.

Skunks actually make very good pets, once they have their scent glands removed. Raccoons, however, will often turn mean as adults.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #10
Master Chef
Raccoons show up around here now and then. One of them got so tame that he'd sit on the back steps with the cats, waiting to be fed. Animal control does a good job of trapping and re-locating them, though.
They are cute and very smart, but they can tear you up if they take the notion.
But then, any wild animal can be dangerous. Even bunnies carry disease and can give you some nasty scratches with those hind legs.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote