Our weekend adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always told Paul that I would have NOTHING to do with the dead animal. Bring it to me wrapped in freezer paper and I'll cook it up for you but.. ya know what...?

I was so happy and so proud of him that
I forgot to be grossed out and sad for the bear. It was exciting.

As you can see from the photo.. I was really in to it.
Surprise surprise! STILL... I am 100% sure I couldn't kill anything.
But, heck I'll certainly eat it. I'll eat cows and chickens and they have a much worse life and death than this bear did.

Thanks Fryboy. Paul read up on this before I cooked the heart last night.

And I always cook all my meat really well. ( yes, give me my steak burnt please. NO RED!!! YUCK! lol!!!)

pds, do me a favor, if you will, and thank the spirit of the bear for it's sacrifice every time you have a meal of him. it doesn't have to be anything religious, but it's important, for you and the bear.

Thanks for posting the pictures!. For me, it made me nervous to see them. The bear did not look quite dead and humans should not be that close to a live bear! That's a big accomplishment to bring down an animal like that. Did you take that bear in Washington?

And I agree with bucky. I always have a spiritual moment with the animals we butcher, as we start the process.

He STARTED with a bear?! Where will he go from here?!

Then again, maybe in hunting you start with big targets and graduate to smaller ones? (Can you tell I'm not a huntress?!)

Beth... Believe me I was very nervous about touching it at first too!!! It was a BEAR for goodness sake!

Yes..Paul took it in Washington.. we were up in the Mountains right around Stevens Pass. There was bear sign all around and he knew from the second we got that there that this was going to be his chance to get something.

I wrote Bucky a pm and told him that I did thank that bear before pushing him down the hill... also, I don't know if it's really spiritual or not but I will "FEEL" something while I'm eating this meat. Something that I don't feel while I'm eating a cow.

Ayrton said:
He STARTED with a bear?! Where will he go from here?!

Then again, maybe in hunting you start with big targets and graduate to smaller ones? (Can you tell I'm not a huntress?!)

Next on the list is
a nice fat deer! He drew a doe tag this year
and he and my son are going hunting for a few weekends
in October. Now venison is GREAT!!! I hope they both
get big ones!

smiles, T:):)

Nobody has too many wild game recipes on their websites, that is why i put this one on mine. Enjoy!

ROASTED BEAR

• 3 pound(s) , Bear Roast
  • 0 to taste , Salt and Pepper
  • 2 large , Garlic Clove
  • 2 tablespoon(s) , Brown Sugar
  • 1 tablespoon(s) , Paprika
  • 1 teaspoon(s) , Dry Mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon(s) , Chili Powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon(s) , Cayenne Pepper
  • 2 tablespoon(s) , Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/4 cup(s) , Vinegar
  • 1 cup(s) , Tomato Juice
  • 1/4 cup(s) , Ketchup
  • 1/2 cup(s) , Water
Instructions:Place roast in small roaster. Season with salt, pepper and garlic. Roast at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until well done. Slice into thin slices. Mix 1 teaspoon salt with remaining ingredients in heavy skillet. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add meat; simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Thanks Chef Jimmy!

I've copied and pasted this recipe and as soon as we
have our meat back I'll try it out! Can't wait!!!!

Those pictures and comments are troubling. I have no problem with people hunting if they NEED the food (as opposed to simply wanting the thrill of eating something they've killed), or if the species has over-populated an area and needs to be culled for the good of the environment, or if the specific animal is either sick or has become a threat to humans. But killing magnificent animals for the fun of it is not something I can condone in this day and age.

What sport is there in blowing a huge hole in a defenseless and clueless animal from 50 yards away? I note that the animal wasn't shot in the head, and apparently the heart was intact since they ate it (an odd first choice, IMO), so I suspect the animal simply bled to death from the wound. What did it do to deserve that fate?

Last edited:
I understand some people have a problem with this thread. That is fine. If you have an issue with it please PM pdswife. She will be glad to clarify and answer anything. This is how some people eat - it's actually how people have eaten for a long time. Take your issues to PM. There have already been a couple comments made that have been removed. If you have to come on this thread and make some back-handed comment you don't think we're smart enough to catch you are mistaken.

pdswife said:
Sorry chopstix...but we all gotta eat and this is going to be yummy!

Pds, I can only deduce that hunting and eating bear is not illegal. While I can briefly set aside my pity for the death of that beautiful wild creature, and while I can understand your new-found thrill for the hunt, I'm a little unsettled by the uncontained excitement to eat the bear and even it's heart. Sure it's food, but somehow people don't normally get that worked up about eating chicken or cow right? The open eagerness to eat the bear is troubling to me. You might say, it got to my sensibilities. Sorry but that's just how I feel.:( :ohmy:

kitchenelf said:
If you have to come on this thread and make some back-handed comment you don't think we're smart enough to catch you are mistaken.
My comment was direct and polite. PDsWife, Trish, is a big girl and can handle courteous disagreement, as she demonstrated in her PM response to me.

BTW, I've already received karma from five DC members and positive PMs for my reply to the thread, two of whom remarked on the "courage" I showed by posting what they believe but were afraid to post because of this sort of intimidation.

.... Well... I think the best way I can describe it chopstix is that

when I eat a tomato from the store it's just a dang tomato but... If I go out and plant the seed and watch it grow and the shoot comes up and turns in to a plant and then a little yellow flower appears and then a little green tomato pops out and then it starts to turn a pretty shade of red and the sun warms it and then I pick it and eat it it's a TOMATO!!!!!

It's just different... it's better.
It's something that I did. ( or in this case that my husband did)
Better...more real...more exciting...
Hard to explain.

P
Corkscrew said:
My comment was direct and polite. PDsWife, Trish, is a big girl and can handle courteous disagreement, as she demonstrated in her PM response to me.

BTW, I've already received karma from five DC members and positive PMs for my reply to the thread, two of whom remarked on the "courage" I showed by posting what they believe but were afraid to post because of this sort of intimidation.

Please post your opinions. I may not agree... but as always I am
interested in hearing them. I know there are hunters on the site... and non- hunters. Everyone has feelings good and bad about everything.

smiles, T

p.s.... anyone who can be intimidated by me makes me lol... I'm a whimp!!! lololol

Last edited:
Just some facts....

1,333 bears killed in washington last season
20,724 hunters hunted bears last season
Which means only 6.4 % of the hunters got a bear.
On average it took the hunters 129.4 days to shoot a bear.
There are about 30,000 bears in Washington state.
Hunters are not allowed to use dogs to hunt bear.
Hunters are not allowed to use bait to hunt bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom