Out to Lunch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Had to go out this morning, so called in at the deli café for lunch. Porchetta sandwich. "Ah", I hear you say, "just a snack then"

Not exactly. The sandwich took the form of a large chunk of ciabatta type bread about 5" long with half a small pig, sliced tomatoes and a pile of fennel slaw in a yummy sauce sandwiched in it, accompanied by a main course portion of mixed salad leaves, tomato and red onion and a good three heaped tablespoons of their own make of coleslaw on the side! The sandwich was nearly as tall as it was long and had to have a wooden kebab stick to hold it together! I may never eat again! A large glass of wine - well, it would have been rude not to now they have a licence - and a cappuccino-sized cup of very good black coffee and all under 12 squid. Sadly I had no room for any of their homemade cake.

A couple sitting at the table next to me were obviously new to the joint and were muttering that £6.75 was very expensive for a sandwich - until mine arrived. They took one look at it and decided to share one and they were still full! That deli doesn't understand the concept of a "light snack"!

There was a family sitting across the aisle from me with a sweet little girl. It was her second birthday lunch with grandparents and mum and dad. She was sitting up to the table in a high chair with a plate of slices of cheese and ham to eat with her fingers and eating black and green olives from her mum's plate with massive enjoyment. So good to see a child who isn't told "Oh no, you won't like THAT".

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds wonderful, MC. DH and I would certainly have to split that lunch (we'd each have our own wine of course.)

Yum! Sounds like they kn ow how to fill a plate. At the prices charged it should be two meals at the very least. That holds for US restaurants and fast food.

Yum! Sounds like they kn ow how to fill a plate. At the prices charged it should be two meals at the very least. That holds for US restaurants and fast food.
Gosh, and there I was thinking that it was good value for money! Most lunchtimes there's a wait for tables so other customers obviously think so too.

I noticed on a previous visit to the deli that when someone couldn't finish their sandwich it was quietly removed to the kitchen and returned to the customer neatly wrapped and placed in a little cardboard box for him to take away with no fuss whatsoever. Now THAT is unusual in this country! The "doggy bag" culture hasn't really got a grip on restaurants over here. In most places you would have to ask, if you could summon up the nerve, and then run the gauntlet of the waitress's scorn. Then sometimes you might get a plastic bag with the food just shovelled in any old how.

I think that was my point, they filled your plate and you were satisfied. I have a hard time understanding places who rebel at giving you the food you paid for in a container so you can take it with you. If I had a hassle like that, I would bring my own containers to make a statement.

That gives me an idea, I should just take my lunch bag/box with me and get it ready for the next day.

MC, that sounds like an awesome lunch. :yum: Sure had my mouth watering for a good sandwich. Glad to hear that they accommodate the 'doggy bags', maybe that will catch on over there! :)

Sweet side story about the little one enjoying her treats, too. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom