"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
Everymom

I go through fits and starts. Sometimes its all oven, sometimes all stovetop. I'll try to make a point of doing it once a month, that way maybe it won't smell like I've burnt the snot out of everything while it cleans.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
lol.. yeah.... Tell ya what... if you remind me... I'll remind you!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #13
Certified Cake Maniac

When I am prepping for a catering job, or specially a wedding cake, I always clean my oven first. But this last 6 months while I have been recovering from surgery I have not really paid much attention...until I wanted to start Christmas baking! What a mess. And yes, Alix, the self cleaning does stink. I wish I could use the regular cleaners for spot cleaning like LC but I am allergic to anything with a propellant and DH offers but never gets to it until it is baked right on.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #14
Executive Chef

You still need to scrape out the big gunky stuff first or your gonna get a lot more smoke. Another thing I do is put a large piece of foil on the bottom and change it out if something big spills on it.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
Everymom

I never think of the foil. Got to try that. And I DID scrape out the "gunk" which should give you some indication of how NASTY my oven is.

I don't do well with the propellent stuff either LP. I end up having to vacate and use my inhaler if I use some of that stuff.

pdswife...DEAL!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #16
Sous Chef

As infrequently as possible....which is how I usually end up making a smelly afternoon of it!!

Oh, and a quick tip-if you are thinking about cutting a fat hog by cleaning an aluminum cookie sheet with oven cleaner, I'm here to tell you that it's a bad idea!! Mine is now a drip pan....
Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Every 3 months for me, and I usually plan a trip while the cleaner does its job. Then I come back when the fumes have calmed down.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #18
Everymom

LMAO! I've done that too. Oven cleaner is BAAAD stuff IMO.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'm afraid to leave the house after the clean button has been pushed
Old 12-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #20
Head Chef

I finally cleaned my last week after it too was embarrasingly dirty! The smell is awful!
It cleaned up well except for around the door that I cannot seem to scrub off, any hints / suggestions.
Also, my self cleaner cycle is 3 hours.....does it "need" to go this long or if you clean it on a monthly basis, can you cancel out the cycle after an hour or so? Has anyone done this. I think thats the one reason I 'delay' the cleaning due to the long process.

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni & Cheese for Adults.
Luvs2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote